Traveling Suite holder on Oasis...need kind help!!

All of you are my heroes! I read everything you post and I am hoping for some wonderful advice and help.

My fiancé, son and I are traveling on Oasis for my son’s birthday. My SO (significant other) has NEVER stepped foot on a cruise ship before and given how much my son and I adore cruising, we are tightly keeping our fingers crossed he loves it as much as we do..I would like a future with him that includes lots of adventures cruising. This trip means so much to me!

I have booked us a crown loft suite (17th floor), we are on the side of the ship that overlooks the ocean. I just didn’t think for me I would want the noise of the sports zone but I can see how the people watching could be fun. I have done a grande suite before but never this room. Our stops are Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico. Can I have some advice either to any of my questions or unsolicited advice is also awesome.

1. When we board, is the costal kitchen open at 1:00 pm for lunch? The buffet on level 11 is a bit much for me. Any other better lunch ideas for first day?

2. Is there a “sailing away” party on the deck? I have always (making frown face) stayed in my room when we set sail but I like the idea of going on deck for some fun if they offer it??

3. Haiti, we booked a cabana last cruise a few years ago but they are saying to wait until we get onboard. But I do recall talking/email to a concierge prior to boarding to book it??

4. We got the drink package, hope that is a good idea. Last time I did the wine package by the bottle and it appears they no longer offer that?

5. Tips for Chops steak house?

6. Booked Cinnamon hill for golf, but I have heard if not enough people sign up it could be canceled. Anyone tried this excursion?

7. My SO was bringing his Tux, is that still acceptable on formal nights?

8. Tipping…how to get the best service?? I have had mixed experiences with service and wondering if a little tipping upfront helps?

I will take any advice you wonderful folks have. Thank you for helping my little family!!

:)

With regard to the cabana on Labadee, you should hear from the Concierge within a week or so before the cruise. You should be able to reserve a cabana by request from the Concierge. However, if you don't hear from the Concierge, feel free to reach out to them. Email addresses are in this document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hKBiGZ9Gqcp2G2owtX3RyQy7yQ0ijgxCL0nPjQKK8j4/edit?pli=1#gid=0

We never do lunch on boarding day. We eat a late breakfast right before boarding!

RCI has no formal spillway party, but that's where most will be...music will be playing...it's nice to catch everyone else's enthusiasm!!

If you drink a lot, the drink package is a good thing. If you only drink 2 drinks a day, then cancel the package.

The tip is part of the fee you pay at Chops or any other specialty restaurant. No additional is required. If you feel the need to tip extra, $5 is more than sufficient....always remember how much you've already paid!

You cannot be "overdressed" on formal night!!

No need to tip upfront (or bribe)....your service will be great, and it's customary to tip on the last evening, not "as you go" or in advance.

1. When we board, is the costal kitchen open at 1:00 pm for lunch? The buffet on level 11 is a bit much for me. Any other better lunch ideas for first day?
park Cafe seems to be a popular embarkation lunch. I hear Solarium Bistro is healthy fare and usually not crowded. Seems like I read Coastal Kitchen is not open for lunch on Day 1 but I could be wrong.

2. Is there a “sailing away” party on the deck? I have always (making frown face) stayed in my room when we set sail but I like the idea of going on deck for some fun if they offer it??
Almost always there is.

3. Haiti, we booked a cabana last cruise a few years ago but they are saying to wait until we get onboard. But I do recall talking/email to a concierge prior to boarding to book it??
You should get an email from the concierge a few weeks in advance.

4. We got the drink package, hope that is a good idea. Last time I did the wine package by the bottle and it appears they no longer offer that?
drink prices have gone up so if you will average 4-5 drinks daily along with bottled waters, you should come out ahead.

Go hungry.

Sure.

8. Tipping…how to get the best service?? I have had mixed experiences with service and wondering if a little tipping upfront helps
? Everyone has their own opinion on this. Usually tipping in the Suite Lounge will be done the last night. Many people tip an extra $1 or so if they find a server/bartender they like. Our experience has been that we hang at the Pool Bar a lot during the week. So we generally pass the bartender a $20 the first day just to introduce ourselves. Best investment we make on a cruise - plus we tend to smile a lot, treat them respectfully and don't expect any special treatment in return. We always get great service - along with return smiles!

Have fun.

Edited by wolfganghowell

Coastal Kitchen is not open for lunch the first day. It's only open for lunch on sea days. However, there is food available in the Suite Lounge when you board. It's a nice place to hang out and have a glass of wine until the suites are available at 1:00.

My dh is a golfer and we haven't booked Cinnamon Hill, but I can tell you that on our last Oasis cruise, he was the only golfer signed up for St. Thomas so they put him with golfers from the Celebrity ship in port. He had a great time. He will be signing up again for golf on our November cruise so I hope the same thing happens if no one from the Allure signs up.

all three of us booked and it was almost 200.00 per person and the woman had a 'too bad' attitude when I asked what would happen if no one else signed up. They give you your money back of course but the golf was one of the reasons we selected this cruise. Now you are stuck with nothing planned and already on the ship.

All of you are my heroes! I read everything you post and I am hoping for some wonderful advice and help.

My fiancé, son and I are traveling on Oasis for my son’s birthday. My SO (significant other) has NEVER stepped foot on a cruise ship before and given how much my son and I adore cruising, we are tightly keeping our fingers crossed he loves it as much as we do..I would like a future with him that includes lots of adventures cruising. This trip means so much to me!

I have booked us a crown loft suite (17th floor), we are on the side of the ship that overlooks the ocean. I just didn’t think for me I would want the noise of the sports zone but I can see how the people watching could be fun. I have done a grande suite before but never this room. Our stops are Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico. Can I have some advice either to any of my questions or unsolicited advice is also awesome.

Definitely check out Park Cafe. Their roast beef sandwiches are quite good. I love their soups, make-your-own salads, and their cream puff desserts are bite size heaven.

There is a sail away party on deck. If it's inclement weather, they move it inside to the promenade. Else, pool deck it is! As you'll be in a crown loft suite, you'll have access to an exclusive Suite only outdoor deck. (Another option).

Yes. The concierge can help you.

They do still offer the wine package, but in my opinion, you can get better wine at Vintages than what is on the wine package menu.

If you like shrimp cocktail, this is the place for you. I've only seen larger "prawns" when I lived in Australia. (They are quite large, and very delicious).

If you're celebrating anything, let them know!

If you have the alcohol package, they do not need to see your card right away - they'll settle at the end.

6. Booked Cinnamon hill for golf, but I have heard if not enough people sign up it could be canceled. Anyone tried this excursion?

I have not booked this excursion.

Absolutely!

8. Tipping…how to get the best service?? I have had mixed experiences with service and wondering if a little tipping upfront helps?

I bring a lot of $1's with me on cruises. Every time I head up to the bar, I have a $1 folded in my hand on the other side of my seapass. I don't wave it around, but notice that service tends to be quicker when they see cash. They tend to check on us more often, and go out of their way to help us. We also are friendly and smiley, which doesn't hurt service either.

I will take any advice you wonderful folks have. Thank you for helping my little family!!

Have a wonderful cruise!

:)

Thank you. So when I want to go to Vintages, for example (I have the premium package) I order wine and just show my card?

If it is over 12.00 a glass do I just pay the difference?

Correct. Also you would also pay an additional 18% of the difference, for tips.

Oh wow, the suite lounge is open on first day for lunch?? That is very good news. Do you have an idea of what they serve? I have only been before dinner for a drink

I'm sorry I can't tell you what they served. We had just eaten at Park Cafe and so we weren't hungry. People did have plates of food, and I think some was hot. Perhaps others can add more info. I know that on other port days it was very light, similar to tapas...but wine was available at no charge.

Oh wow, the suite lounge is open on first day for lunch?? That is very good news. Do you have an idea of what they serve? I have only been before dinner for a drink

I'm sorry I can't tell you what they served. People did have plates of food, and I think some was hot. Perhaps others can add more info. I know that on other port days it was very light, similar to tapas...but wine was available at no charge.

Ask and you shall receive. Photos of embarkation day on Oasis November 2014.

IMG_1443.jpg.b1129eade2e5077445f6b0b82007595e.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg.4d4dafacc0e9cef7fb721f6c8692b804.jpg

IMG_1442a.jpg.c917013f9f4743ade0dbd3e237fd9659.jpg

Edited by A&L_Ont

wow, these pictures are great!! All of you are so helpful. So for a first time cruiser is there anything you guys would suggest I do with my SO?

There are so many fun things to do it is hard to suggest one item specific. Prebook the comedy club and go to the ice show. They are our two favourite shows. Infact, you should prebook all your shows. It is just a bit easier that way. We also love Sabor and no reservations are needed.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Coastal Kitchen is not open for lunch the first day. It's only open for lunch on sea days. However, there is food available in the Suite Lounge when you board. It's a nice place to hang out and have a glass of wine until the suites are available at 1:00.

Ask and you shall receive. Photos of embarkation day on Oasis November 2014.

Thanks, sounds like a great idea. Better alternative than Park Café crowd and roast beef sandwiches ? Gerry

Thanks, sounds like a great idea. Better alternative than Park Café crowd and roast beef sandwiches ? Gerry

If you get onboard early, Park Cafe is still a good option. We got there 11:00-11:15 and there were a lot of tables available. By 11:30 it was starting to get crowded.