Norovirus outbreak on the Ryndam

are there any clear updates from cruisers who are currently sailing or just come off the RYNDHAM

we are due to sail on 29th / august - fjords ????

Read Roll Call 18th July - feedback from a person onboard from 4th July saying NO signs of norovirus

Edited by mickey89

Just disembarked from the Ryndam this morning. The crew did a fabulous job sanitizing the ship before everyone boarded on July 4. The Ryndam returned to Harwich from the previous cruise a day and a half early for the sanitizing process. As far as I know there have been NO reports of Norovirus. A few people got head colds over the last few days. Great cruise!

Edited by pmjnh

Just disembarked from the Ryndam this morning. The crew did a fabulous job sanitizing the ship before everyone boarded on July 4. The Ryndam returned to Harwich from the previous cruise a day and a half early for the sanitizing process. As far as I know there have been NO reports of Norovirus. A few people got head colds over the last few days. Great cruise!

Thanks for update. Safe journey back home!

I too was on the cruise which left Harwich on 20 June and have no complaints about the Ship

tackled the problem. We are most the MDR where it seemed to us there was close supervision of the use of hand sanitising before entering, as there was on going onto the Lido Deck.

One the missed Ports was due to weather conditions and not the virus.

As has already been said the compensation provided was generous.

All in all I thought the crew responded magnificently to the difficulties.

I am glad to hear the those difficulties were not duplicated on the following cruise.

I received a call from my father today, who is currently onboard the Ryndam with my Mother.

He told me how the cruise has been cut short by Holland America due to a severe outbreak of Norovirus onboard and is returning to Harwich early. He told me that there is a very bleak atmosphere on the ship, will most staff wearing clinical masks throughout the ship and a common feel amongst guests that surfaces can't be touched, or food enjoyed.

Both of my parents have been ill, and my father said that a large number of people on the cruise have been very poorly indeed. My great uncle and aunt are also on the ship, and my uncle has been confined to his stateroom for many days, receiving much care from the ship's medical team.

My father mentioned that they boarded the ship later than planned, in Harwich, as the crew were performing a deep clean due to a similar breakout on the previous cruise. All guests were offered the chance of a full refund, but were assured that adequate measures had been taken to avoid further infection.

Taking Holland America's word, my parents decided to go on the cruise as planned, but he now tells me they wish they hadn't - something which is a common feeling amongst other guests.

Far from wishing to put the fear up anybody who may be joining the ship on Saturday, I wanted to share this information with others who may take this into account before embarking on their cruise.

Hi,

we've just returned from the Ryndam's 4th July to 18th July Voyage of The Midnight Sun.

All seemed fine and we heard no reports of any Norovirus or G.I. cases. The ship's crew were great and enforced a strict hygiene routing for the first part of the voyage - e.g. no self service even for bread, butter, salt & pepper etc. This was relaxed somewhat later on.

Towards the end of the voyage there seemed to be a few people with head cold type symptoms - coughs, sneezes, runny noses - but I did not meet or hear of anyone who had suffered G.I. type symptoms during this cruise. I did meet some people who had been on the ship the week before our cruise and had suffered from the G.I. infection - it sounded like things had been very bad.

Many thanks to the ship's crew, and to conscientious passengers, for an enjoyable and trouble free cruise.

Edited by BowsG
Additional infomation added.

The people acting like that should become ill to learn it the hard way... sorry but we have come across such behavior, too and the cruise lines can't do much about those ppl. :mad:

Just came off the Oosterdam, a Southbound Alaska, and noro raised its head there, as well.

At the end, no passenger could touch anything in the Lido.

DW & I spent 3 days in bed.

GREAT First Cruise experience....you guys can have this lifestyle....I'll get sick at home, if you don't mind.

Just came off the Oosterdam, a Southbound Alaska, and noro raised its head there, as well.

At the end, no passenger could touch anything in the Lido.

DW & I spent 3 days in bed.

GREAT First Cruise experience....you guys can have this lifestyle....I'll get sick at home, if you don't mind.

We just got off the Norwegian Pearl and had heard about the ship being quarantined?

News to me. No signs of it in Vancouver...people lined up to get on board as we were getting off.

Well, that's good at least. Not sure what ship it was, other than being HAL, but that was a rumor going around I think in Skagway or Ketchikan...one of them weren't allowed off in port. But then again...you know the ol' rumor mill...

Yeah, they seem to make a big deal about those hand sanitizers, which are utterly ineffectual against norovirus.

Effectual or not, it was simply COMICAL to watch, on Day 6, as we (Oosterdam) had been under enhanced procedures for 3 days, fellow passengers coming up the Purell stations and asking Crew Members "How does this thing work?". Really?

Not to start another thread or anything, but, how is it that these people can possibly get through a day in real life without assistance, I'll never know.