? about ferries/buses and bus stops

jakesnana

I know I have read that you can request a transfer to go from one bus to another, however, can you get a transfer from the ferry to the bus? We are thinking of going to the Crystal Caves by the ferry from the Dockyard and then one of the buses to the caves, but was wondering if we would need two tokens.

How far from the bus stop are the caves and is it a strenuous walk?

From there we were going to go to the Swizzle Inn for lunch, which I have heard is nearby. Again, how nearby and is it a long, strenuous walk?

Finally, after lunch we are hoping to take the bus back to the BAMZ. Is the bus stop fairly close to this?

I have a map, but it doesn't show the bus stops or the topography of the land, to know how difficult the walking will be.

TIA for your help.

I know I have read that you can request a transfer to go from one bus to another, however, can you get a transfer from the ferry to the bus? We are thinking of going to the Crystal Caves by the ferry from the Dockyard and then one of the buses to the caves, but was wondering if we would need two tokens.

From there we were going to go to the Swizzle Inn for lunch, which I have heard is nearby. Again, how nearby and is it a long, strenuous walk?

Finally, after lunch we are hoping to take the bus back to the BAMZ. Is the bus stop fairly close to this?

I have a map, but it doesn't show the bus stops or the topography of the land, to know how difficult the walking will be.

TIA for your help.

You can't get a transfer from the ferry to the bus. You need two tokens. Or a transportation pass. A transportation pass is good for both ferries and buses.

It is not a strenuous walk from the bus stops to the caves or from the caves to the Swizzle Inn. It is an easy walk. Yes, there is a bus stop close to BAMZ.

With all the above hopping on and off I recommend that you get a transportation pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

When working with the Bermuda Transportation system, you have to know which color pole to stand by. They have pink poles and blue poles. The pink poles bus stops are for buses going towards Hamilton and the blue pole bus stops are for buses going away from Hamilton. I remember this by saying to myself "Blue away". They drive on the opposite side of the road in Bermuda than we do here in the US and that always confuses me. It is hard for me to wrap my mind around the vehicles coming from the "wrong" direction.

It doesn't sound like they give out transfers on the ferries, but apparently some ferries do accept transfers.

Transfers are honoured on the ferries only if you are travelling from Hamilton to St. Georges. In all other cases, the ferry service does not accept transfers. (source)
However, I'm not sure what sort of travel from Hamilton to St. Georges would involve a bus, and then a ferry. :confused:

It doesn't sound like they give out transfers on the ferries, but apparently some ferries do accept transfers.

However, I'm not sure what sort of travel from Hamilton to St. Georges would involve a bus, and then a ferry. :confused:

I believe that refers to transferring from one ferry to another, not between a bus and a ferry.

At one time you could take a ferry between Hamilton and St. George's, but now it requires two separate ferry rides, one between Hamilton and Dockyard and the second between Dockyard and St. George's.

So, for the one person a year who might want to waste half a day by traveling between Hamilton and St. George's by taking two ferries, apparently they offer a free transfer.

However, I'm not sure that the paragraph cited isn't outdated and shouldn't be on the website. You can also find something on the government website that says tickets aren't valid for ferry travel, but that was changed years ago. Unfortunately one page of the website wasn't and it still has that old, now invalid, statement.

Edited by njhorseman

TIA for your help.

Which ferry were you planning to take? If it's the Blue Route from Dockyard to Hamilton there's an uphill walk from the Hamilton Ferry Station to the bus terminal. From there you should take a #1 or #3 bus to the caves. If you're taking an Orange Route ferry from Dockyard to St. George's there's also a walk from the ferry terminal to the bus stop which also has some uphill slope to it. Also take a #1 or #3 bus from there to the caves. The #1 and #3 take you closest to the caves.

I honestly can't recall the topography of the walk from the caves toward the area where the Swizzle Inn is located.

From the Swizzle Inn you want to take a #10 or #11 bus to BAMZ.

When you get off the ship in Royal Dockyard, there is an Information Center up the walkway past the gates. There you will find maps and can purchase transportation passes. The best deal is the All Day (All Access Pass) - You can use the busses AND the ferries as much as you want and go wherever you want to go. Their public transportation system is excellent there and we had no problems. Getting the All Day Pass eliminates the stress of getting transfers and having to buy separate tickets. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was something like 30.00 and well worth it. We would do it again in a heartbeat!! Have fun:p We LOVED Bermuda!!

Jackie

You Can transfer bus to bus with token's .

I did take the "special " bus to Horseshoe and got a transfer to proceed on #7 to Warwick long bay . One token.

I was told can not transfer bus to ferry this takes two tokens .

When you get off the ship in Royal Dockyard, there is an Information Center up the walkway past the gates. There you will find maps and can purchase transportation passes. The best deal is the All Day (All Access Pass) - You can use the busses AND the ferries as much as you want and go wherever you want to go. Their public transportation system is excellent there and we had no problems. Getting the All Day Pass eliminates the stress of getting transfers and having to buy separate tickets. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was something like 30.00 and well worth it. We would do it again in a heartbeat!! Have fun:p We LOVED Bermuda!!

Jackie

A Adult one day pass is $19, two day pass $31.50, three days is $44. You can now purchase with a credit card.

8af2295d2adc51b5b13653e326d4558d.jpg

Charles, do you know if those transportation offices are open on Sunday? We are doing a guided tour to St. George on Sunday and would like to purchase a 2 day pass to use for Monday and Tuesday.

Yes, they are open at the Dockyard on Sunday when there are ships docked. You can also purchase the passes in St. George at the Visitor Information Center on Kings Square.

Edited by Charles4515