Question for Bonnie - Greece

Soccer Mom 96

Hi Bonnie,

My husband and I are on the Journey 9/10/15 sailing which has several stops in Greece. Is there any discussion at Azamara regarding the current Greece situation and possible changes to the itineraries?

Thanks,

Soccer Mom

Greece is open for business and is delightfully safe so I would be surprised to see any changes at all

Edited by uktog

I have not heard any discussion about changing our Greece itineraries.

The country is safe, albeit "financially challenged." Tourism is an immediate export, bringing with it foreign exchange, which benefits the locals immediately. As a longtime advocate of Responsible Tourism, the best thing you can do is bring your wallet and eat and buy things onshore!

Stin iyia mas! (Greek for To Our Health!)

Hi Soccer Mom!

We're on the same cruise and have been watching the events in Greece closely. Although ATM withdrawal limits don't apply to foreign banks (like mine in the US), we'll probably take more euros than we had previously planned, just in case things change. I just hope we don't have to take drachmas!

From what I'm reading, using of credit cards has not been a problem.

We'll also get kunas pre-cruise, since we'll need those in both stops in Croatia. They don't take euros there.

It's getting close!

Pam:cool:

Pam,

We are excited for the trip. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. We will definitely be getting Euros before we arrive...probably in Venice. We used the ATM a lot on our last trip to Italy. Hadn't thought about Croatia yet but haven't decided what we are going to do there.

What part of AL are you in? We used to live in Birmingham but moved to FL 2 years ago for my husband's job.

Soccer Mom (Patty)

Hi Soccer Mom!

We'll also get kunas pre-cruise, since we'll need those in both stops in Croatia. They don't take euros there.

Pam:cool:

A great cruise to look forward to.

I'm not certain that they won't take Euros in Croatia in all settings. Certainly, they once were required to pay for entrance to the Dubrovnik walls, but I believe that the last time we were there we could use our credit card.

On the other hand, the exchange rate may well be unfavourable and its always good, in our opinion, to offer local currency if just out of good manners and respect.

As you probably already know, there is excellent advice on the Ports of Call forum on this board, particularly from a poster named Dubrovniktravellady. She is a part time resident of that town.

We live in Montgomery Alabama. Everyone I've read said we needed kunas for the walls and public transportation. We'll plan on using credit cards as much as possible.

There are a number of ATMs as you walk down the main street. If you are in need of a refreshment it's fun to go and have a drink at the Buza Bar. It's right by the sea, set in the rocks. The entrance is a hole in the wall. The toilet facilities there are basic to say the least, but it's a wonderful spot. Google it if you are interested.

Phil

We live in Montgomery Alabama. Everyone I've read said we needed kunas for the walls and public transportation. We'll plan on using credit cards as much as possible.

Last time in Dubrovnik we didn't bother to get Kunas. They take Euros everywhere.