Altering formal gowns

Has anyone else taken a dress to an alteration shop for cruise formal nights?

I just did that. One of my dresses needs an extra skirt layer removed and other layers evened out (the right side is longer than the left). Mom needed to have a double layer dress skirt hemmed several inches because it is way too long. Both dresses are going to Alaska with us, which is why we are doing it now.

The first item I ever had altered was my DDs prom dress. Because of course, it needed to be perfect. Then I wondered why I had never done it before! Its fairly inexpensive and can change a good outfit/dress into a great one. Money well spent!

I've taken several gowns for alterations and hemming. The work that needed done was not something I could do myself, even though I can sew. With stretchy fabrics hemming by hand does not hold up and my machine will now sew them.

Just be sure to take your alterations to a reliable source or one with a good reputation. I just made the mistake of taking three pair of my son's expensive shorts to have them made a little shorter and mush to mine and my son's dismay...even though he had been there and had them pinned to the length he wanted...they made them too short!:eek: There's no way they could be saved so I just promised my son that I would buy him three new pair. So don't trust just anyone to do your alterations.

Edited by mousey

Has anyone else taken a dress to an alteration shop for cruise formal nights?

I just did that. One of my dresses needs an extra skirt layer removed and other layers evened out (the right side is longer than the left). Mom needed to have a double layer dress skirt hemmed several inches because it is way too long. Both dresses are going to Alaska with us, which is why we are doing it now.

Yes, I always take my dresses and gowns in for alteration. A little cut here and little stich there and make the difference. I prefer form fitting.

M

Just be sure to take your alterations to a reliable source or one with a good reputation. I just made the mistake of taking three pair of my son's expensive shorts to have them made a little shorter and much to mine and my son's dismay...even though he had been there and had them pinned to the length he wanted...they made them too short! There's no way they could be saved so I just promised my son that I would buy him three new pair. So don't trust just anyone to do your alterations.

Fortunately she can't make these dresses too short. The thing she uses to mark the hem line puts white lines on the skirt that go through to the second layer. It also is clear she knows the dresses should be ankle length for a cruise.