Upsell Question??

KruzPrincess

Hi Lana,

I assume it's you. Remember, we sailed to Hawaii from L.A. together in December? It's good to see you going on another cruise. The funny thing is, I didn't think we would go this year, but we are doing 12 days from Barcelona to Venice on August 8 on Niew Amsterdam. Very port intensive. Hope we survive. Enjoy your cruise and hope our paths will cross again.

Yes, it's me. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. It sounds wonderful. I'm going to Alaska on the Statendam soon and then I have a couple Princess cruises booked for later this year. Very busy cruise year for me. Take care and I hope we meet again.

Yes, it's me. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. It sounds wonderful. I'm going to Alaska on the Statendam soon and then I have a couple Princess cruises booked for later this year. Very busy cruise year for me. Take care and I hope we meet again.

Good to hear from you. That's great you are doing all these cruises. I decided to do this very active one while we can as we get older, it's harder to make long flights and every day different port. Enjoy your cruises this year and yes, hope to meet again. Helen.

• 5 weeks later...

I am curious we are already in an SY suite on the Noordam for Sept. 19th Alaska, but there still about 10 Neptune suites still open. Would the offers go to Balcony rooms or might we have a chance at receiving one?

thanks!

I am curious we are already in an SY suite on the Noordam for Sept. 19th Alaska, but there still about 10 Neptune suites still open. Would the offers go to Balcony rooms or might we have a chance at receiving one?

thanks!

The offers I've seen usually go up two levels. For instance I would expect you to see offers for a Neptune and if available the pinnacle. I would expect balcony rooms to see upsells to signature and Neptune suites.

Get in line :)

Seriously, viewing your cruise history on lines other than HAL; if we believe some of the myths about upsells and upgrades (and apparently nobody does), you should be a prime candidate for HAL to tempt your loyalties for the future. :):):)

We are on the same sailing but in an SC GTD. I hope we get one of the SA's then you can have our SC. :) BTW, the SC's on the Noordam are just recoded SA's a few doors further away from the Neptune Lounge so still very nice. We had one last December, but we were 'upgraded' to the SA right next to it on the passageway. :o

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

I think you are correct on the week day only for upsells.

One nice thing about using a HAL PCC - they are not afraid to call the department that handles upsells and ask what the potential for an upsell is on a specific cruise. Mine did several times on a recent cruise and when time came for the upsell, they called him before the mass email went out. He then called me and I was able to pick out a great location from a list of about 10 cabins.

My TA does the same.

Interesting thing about upsells vs guarantees.

On a cruise last year we were in a SY and received an upsell about 4 weeks prior to sailing. We were able to select from a variety of SA-SB-SC cabins and we took an SA in a great location (IMO) right opposite the Neptune Lounge.

Friends of ours had purchased a SC guarantee and were assigned a SB cabin about a week prior to sailing. Crazy on how this works.

Interesting thing about upsells vs guarantees.

On a cruise last year we were in a SY and received an upsell about 4 weeks prior to sailing. We were able to select from a variety of SA-SB-SC cabins and we took an SA in a great location (IMO) right opposite the Neptune Lounge.

Friends of ours had purchased a SC guarantee and were assigned a SB cabin about a week prior to sailing. Crazy on how this works.

Makes sense to me... You paid for an upsell, so HAL got more money than they would have if they gave the SA to fulfill the SC GTY. Of course, I could also see other factors in play (like Mariner status), to make things even more complex.

I'm waiting for my SC GTY assignment (13 days out), and while only SAs are showing as available right now, I'm fully expecting upsells & upgrades to rearrange availability before they do my assignment.

Hal would like you to believe mariner status plays a role. I had one cruise where many of us had a guarantee. There were people that paid all different amounts. Some high, some low. We also had a mix of newbies up to five star. Everyone moved up the food chain equally on assignments. No one person did better than another.

Makes sense to me... You paid for an upsell, so HAL got more money than they would have if they gave the SA to fulfill the SC GTY. Of course, I could also see other factors in play (like Mariner status), to make things even more complex.

I'm waiting for my SC GTY assignment (13 days out), and while only SAs are showing as available right now, I'm fully expecting upsells & upgrades to rearrange availability before they do my assignment.

Well, the SC guarantee paid more than I did for the SY plus the upsell cost, so really, they should have gotten the "better" cabin IMO. But I can understand how the procedure has to work - all of the Neptunes have to be accounted for before they can assign the SC guarantees, so this happens. I just thought it was interesting how this works.

In your case, you likely will get an SA, but you COULD end up in an SC (they often do not show these when they are selling SC guarantees).

Edited by DaveOKC

Hal would like you to believe mariner status plays a role. I had one cruise where many of us had a guarantee. There were people that paid all different amounts. Some high, some low. We also had a mix of newbies up to five star. Everyone moved up the food chain equally on assignments. No one person did better than another.

Thanks for the correction. Wouldn't surprise me that how much someone paid didn't make a difference, but I am surprised that Mariner status doesn't play into it.

Well, the SC guarantee paid more than I did for the SY plus the upsell cost, so really, they should have gotten the "better" cabin IMO. But I can understand how the procedure has to work - all of the Neptunes have to be accounted for before they can assign the SC guarantees, so this happens. I just thought it was interesting how this works.

In your case, you likely will get an SA, but you COULD end up in an SC (they often do not show these when they are selling SC guarantees).

Yes, it would be more "fair" to give better cabins to those that pay more, but the GTYs have already paid their fares, while upsells are more money that they wouldn't have otherwise received. So, an SA cabin upsell may motivate someone to pay more, than an SC upsell.

And, nice to know there's hope of getting the SA. I'll be happy with whatever I get. It's been many years since my last cruise, and the two cruises that we've done before were the two lengths of the round trip LA / Ensenada. So, a longer cruise, plus the Triple Denali land.

And, right now, the HAL booking site is showing Neptunes as available on the first booking page, but then not available to select the stateroom. So, perhaps they're working on the GTYs!

Thanks for the correction. Wouldn't surprise me that how much someone paid didn't make a difference, but I am surprised that Mariner status doesn't play into it.

My PCC says mariner status does make a difference but I don't see evidence of that either personally or on the boards here.