Table for 2 Availability

ERIN123

Is it difficult in general to get a table for 2 at the MDR? My last (and first) cruise was no problem getting one, but I'm wondering if we were just lucky and it's more common to be put at a larger table with a group. What have you found?

I don't think you'll have a problem. Since 2013, I noticed more and more 2-tops in the MDR. On Eclipse, there were several nights I saw many empty 2-tops (despite a nearly 100% occupancy, in my estimation).

In select, it seems to be fairly easy. For early or late seating, put in your request for a two top, and check on it when you board.

Agree with checking your assignment after boarding at the MDR, requesting 2-top - could take a couple nights to sort out (if in suite, have butler arrange). BUT several 2's are along walk-in aisle and under stairwell, by kitchen in/out, etc. Best chance is accepting 2-top at late seating (unless Europe cruise where pax prefer late dining).

Last cruise there were only 2 at a 8-seat a few nights - looked awkward. Good Luck

Is it difficult in general to get a table for 2 at the MDR? My last (and first) cruise was no problem getting one, but I'm wondering if we were just lucky and it's more common to be put at a larger table with a group. What have you found?

Usually pretty easy. See the Maitre D & request one when you board. It's possible they may not accomodate you the first night,depending on how full the ship is, but we've not had any problems.

We have had no problem requesting and getting a 2 top but....many of the 2 tops are only inches away from the next table and that can make it feel like you are dining with the folks seated there.

I guess I understand wanting a private 2 top for dining on a cruise if you are dating, newlyweds, or travel a great deal so you don't normally eat together. We eat together 5-6 times a week. Part of the reason we cruise is to meet/talk/sit with others at various times during the day, including dinner because people are interesting, they come from different backgrounds, have different perspectives. We're not at all pushy...we're just not afraid to say hello...and sometimes no conversation happens, but often you quickly find a topic of interest....are you taking a tour at the next stop? how did you enjoy the last port? What's your next cruise?

We enjoy aqua because, yes there are many tables for 2 but they are close enough that you can easily strike up a conversation with those at the next table. Sometimes, it's clear they don't want to talk...but most of the time folks are friendly and enjoy sharing experiences with others. The same applies to select dining where we almost always ask to sit with others....for the same reasons.

Yes, you can have a meal with some "awful" people, but it's really rare, in our experience.

I'd suggest to anyone thinking about a 2 top...and feeling that's important....consider that you may be missing one of the big pluses in Cruising.....your fellow passengers with fascinating backgrounds.

Edited by ghstudio

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in August. I like your idea of dining with others and meeting new people. When should I ask for a table with a group? We will be eating most nights in the MDR.

Edited by Craxe77

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in August. I like your idea of dining with others and meeting new people. When should I ask for a table with a group? We will be eating most nights in the MDR.

If using a TA, and planning for 'traditional dining', do not request small table. If somehow you end up with traditional (6pm or 8:30pm) and 2-top, go to MDR after boarding and request larger table - they'll be happy to change to help meet others' request for 2-top.

Be aware that waiters provide best service if all at large table arrive promptly at set seating time (unless you're doing Select-anytime). Table members arriving 15-20 mins late disrupt the ordering/serving process.

Good Luck

Edited by greydog