Caribbean August Sailing advice

Janapole

We are considering 2 back to back sailings in Aug 2006 0n the Navigator doing the West and Eastern Caribbean. As August is the only time we can cruise we need to know what the risks are regarding weather. Are cruises ever cancelled due to weather conditions? The dates we are considering are 12 and 19 Aug 2006. Any suggestions and comments about the itenarary would also be very welcome. All our cruises have been in the Med and Baltics so far. We have done 2 RCCL cruises and one Celebrity and can't wait to get back on board RC.

:)

As you can see at the bottom of my post we will also be doing the Navigator b2b in Sept. 2006.

Yes, cruises have been changed and stops in ports removed from the itinerary because of many things. Rough seas in Cozumel might make you miss that port because the tenders can't get in to the dock.

Hurricanes do a lot of damage to the islands and if the ships cannot dock there, those ports will be changed.

My husband and I have done the Caribbean 17 times out of our 21 cruises. :) (We love it) We have missed a lot of ports, never missed a cruise itself, been through a hurricane and have seen many things to which a cruise can be "changed."

I would not dwell on the weather or any of the problems that could occur. Just look forward to it.

These islands on the Navigator are all wonderful in my book.;)

I love B2B cruises. Don't forget if you want to have liquor in your room, they will deliver it as if you are getting off the ship with everyone else. So the second week, you're golden with illegal booze, lol. I love watching everybody else get off and you're staying on. So much fun, they look so sad, lol.

My advice it so make the cruise ship your hotel and don't do too much excursion planning, since you may not make the port. That way you won't be disappointed. I never do excursions anymore because I rather wing it on the islands.

August is low season in most of the Caribbean. It is therefore a time when you can take advantage of the Islands with less tourists. Check resorts on some of the Islands you're visiting; in return for lunch reservations, we were able to get the use of a room at several resorts for changing (La Semanna on St. Maarten, for one). Also, if you can arouse Knucklehead from her liquor imposed state of stupor, you can arrange a taxi cruise of almost any island for modest cost. (It's more reasonable than for two).They will wait for you if you want to go to the beach too.

Though weather conditions are variable, the actual odds of a weather caused cancellation of a cruise are extremely low. Enjoy!

Last year on my Explorer cruise we were wainting in the Champagne bar to be called of and by coincidence, the b2b'ers were also there. Someone from the ship came up to them and explained that because of a hurricane, they ship would be changing to a western itinerary instead of an eastern for the next week. That meant that they were doing the western 2 weeks in a row. Most of them were not happy about this, and RCI did offer them something for it, including the option to get off with a credit for a future 7 days cruise if they wished.

Just remember to get to the port early at least a day early and you might plan an extra day on return to get back to work because of schedule changes that could delay the ship hitting the embarkation or disembarkation port times.

Once you get on the ship though you should have no significant problems other than reaching specific ports.

jc

We've sailed the Caribbean 4 times during hurricane season and all 4 have been impacted by the weather. The first 2 were long ago and they sailed right through it. Let me tell you, I've never been so sick in my life. Last year, we were on the Enchantment and our 5 day cruise became a 7 day--we were given two free days of cruising so they could keep the ship out of the bad weather. This year, Katrina delayed our arrival in Florida but since we'd learned to fly in early (and purchase insurance) we had time to spare.

Yes, there are risks, but you can't beat the prices. We were able to upgrade to a JS deck 10 aft on Explorer for the same price as our original E1 balcony (which was already several 100 less than the same itinerary in July.) Just know, going in, that you might have to be flexible.

Last year on my Explorer cruise we were wainting in the Champagne bar to be called of and by coincidence, the b2b'ers were also there. Someone from the ship came up to them and explained that because of a hurricane, the ship would be changing to a western itinerary instead of an eastern for the next week. That meant that they were doing the western 2 weeks in a row. Most of them were not happy about this, and RCI did offer them something for it, including the option to get off with a credit for a future 7 days cruise if they wished.
Heck, my B2B in December on the Sovereign is already planned that way. Two cruises to the Bahamas: a day in Nassau and a day at CocoCay. Twice. So what? We're on a cruise, and as everyone else said, we get to watch all the sad, sad cruisers get off while we STAY ON!!!

Thanks for the heads-up, jakh, about the liquor thing. :)

Carol

Archived