Berlin - to go or not to go

So we are trying to decide if we should do the day trip to Berlin. It consists of the concentration camp and your of Berlin. I am wondering if any one has taken this trip or similar ones and was it worth it? Also debating going to the Schwerin Castle. Any advice on either trip. Would like to hear about your experiences both good and bad.

Hmmmm.."worth it"? Cost wise...entertainment wise....time wise....??????

Are you looking at a ship tour or with a private company? I'd definitely do a private company to avoid the large coach bus tours. The large St. P. tour companies offer combo deals at good pricing.

Tough for anyone to advise you. We will do Berlin even tho the long ride is sobering. DH has been there on business and just loved it. He wants me to see the highlights. We have done a river cruise including the castles in Germany, so that isn't new to us. All depends on your interests..and time you want to spend. But for sure, use private companies to ensure you get a smaller group and a much better value .

Edited by eandj

Worth it - time wise i guess. probably won't get to Berlin again. I have seen on CC that people think waste of time and heard wonderful things as well. I don't mind the 6 hour round trip if the time there is good.

Berlin is a large city and, IMHO, merits several days - much to see, world class museums, great food, etc. However, on a short port visit, you will get just a tiny taste of what the city has to offer. If you opt to visit Sachsenhausen concentration camp, you will have even less time to view the sights in Berlin as the camp will subtract an hour or more from your already short time allotted for Berlin. Your visit to Berlin will consist only of a driving tour with some photo stops - you won't have time for any inside visits.

Schwerin Castle (http://www.museum-schwerin.com/schwerin-state-museum-art-collections-castles-and-gardens/schwerin-castle/) is, IMHO, lovely and the travel time to reach Schwerin is MUCH less than to reach Berlin (if I correctly recall, about an hour to reach Schwerin versus 3 hours to reach Berlin).

So, with all of this in mind, you decide ... is Berlin worth it to you?

We did a private tour of Berlin and are so glad we did. First of all - it's not 3 hours both ways. I would say we drove no more 2.5 hours each way since we were in a van and not a bus.

We got over 7 hours of sightseeing in and go to see most of the highlights, although we do want to go back and see more of the city. If I were you, I would skip the concentration camp and do more of Jewish/WWII Berlin. The camps should be done on a separate visit as there are "better" camps to see (I hope you can understand what I am getting at when I say "better.)

For example, the Otto Weidt brush factory was wonderful to see and learn about, and I imagine it won't be on the list for your half-day in Berlin. I am also glad we got to go into the Checkpoint Charlie museum with so many of the ways people escaped from East Berlin - they have the cars, boats, balloons, ect in the museum for you to see - so cool!

My advice is do a private tour (expensive, but worth it!) and spend as much time in Berlin as possible :)

Our guide was Heidi Leyton if you are interested in connecting with her-

http://heidileyton.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Attraction_Review-g187323-d2694043-Reviews-Heidi_Leyton_s_Private_Tours_of_Berlin-Berlin.html

Edited by Kryssa

Anyone done Berlin by renting a car? We're going to be at Warnemunde next summer on a Monday from 7am-9:30pm. Thinking about renting a car and driving to Berlin, then meeting up with a local tour guide, then driving back. Might be fun and probably much quicker than waiting for even a small group to get in a van, get out of a van, get in a van, etc.

Have you ever driven in Germany, specifically on the autoban system? I'll let someone else do the driving so I can take in the area.;)

I know traveling by van with a driver familiar with the area and traveling at the high speeds would be faster than a U.S. novice driver to the area. And certainly less scary. And by the time you pick up the rental and find your way...

Edited by eandj

Anyone done Berlin by renting a car? We're going to be at Warnemunde next summer on a Monday from 7am-9:30pm. Thinking about renting a car and driving to Berlin, then meeting up with a local tour guide, then driving back. Might be fun and probably much quicker than waiting for even a small group to get in a van, get out of a van, get in a van, etc.

if you're thinking of driving to Berlin to save time I can think of a couple of issues; You will have the delay of getting to car hire place and signing paperwork before you can get on your way. Then you have to find a parking space-central Berlin? rather you than me. Alternatively you park on outskirts and have to make your way in by public transport-more time wasted

A few years ago we went with SPB tours

A large 50 seater bus picked us up from the port for a 2 1/2 hour journey to Berlin with rest area on way

once there we split into 3 groups with separate guides-a group of 14 stayed on original bus,our group of 9 had a mini van and a family group had a car.We all toured Berlin separately and met up at end of day for large bus transfer back to the port

If you want a guided tour for just your party that may be a better option for you if you don't want to wait for other people loading and unloading at each stop-anyway may be worth pricing out each option

Have you ever driven in Germany, specifically on the autoban system? I'll let someone else do the driving so I can take in the area.;)

I know traveling by van with a driver familiar with the area and traveling at the high speeds would be faster than a U.S. novice driver to the area. And certainly less scary. And by the time you pick up the rental and find your way...

I've driven in the UK (including London), Australia, New Zealand, and Israel. If you've never driven through Jerusalem, it's quite an experience. I'm not worried about the driving. I thought it might also be fun to rent a Bimmer or an Audi and let loose on the Autobahn. Finding my way is easy with GPS. I even checked and its 5 hours on the ferry/highway to Copenhagen (next port) if we miss the ship :)

Would love to hear from anyone who's actually done it.

If you are trying to save time, I'd suggest just hiring Heidi or a similar guide for your family or small group. We had 8 people and we were among the first off the ship at about 7:15 am and the driver was waiting there. We arrived back just after 8:00 pm for a 9:00 all-aboard. We had built in the extra time just in case of a delay during the drive.

I am convinced there is no way to get any more time in Berlin other than if you are only 2-3 people and can ride in a car that simply drives faster than our van did. Renting your own car would just add too many steps.

If you are trying to save time, I'd suggest just hiring Heidi or a similar guide for your family or small group. We had 8 people and we were among the first off the ship at about 7:15 am and the driver was waiting there. We arrived back just after 8:00 pm for a 9:00 all-aboard. We had built in the extra time just in case of a delay during the drive.

I am convinced there is no way to get any more time in Berlin other than if you are only 2-3 people and can ride in a car that simply drives faster than our van did. Renting your own car would just add too many steps.

Heidi looks like a great guide. What was the cost for your tour if you don't mind me asking?

Heidi looks like a great guide. What was the cost for your tour if you don't mind me asking?

The van & driver cost 650 Euros for the day. I know the cost is lower if you do not need a big van that seats 8 people.

Heidi herself doesn't have a set rate. Here is what she sent us (this is in addition to what you pay for the car & driver) - "I prefer not to set fees for my private tours, but ask you to set a fee based on how well I meet your expectations, namely how much you learn and much fun we have I ask for 50-90 euros per hour (per guide, not per person), but it really is up to you."

We have done this subject so many times already and the set answer is, "if you think this may be your only chance to see Berlin GO FOR IT". Yes, it will be a long day and yes you will only get a taste of Berlin, but a taste is better than no Berlin. Personally, I would book a tour from the several tour companies in St Petersburg, like SPB tours for instance. They do everything for you and will show you the best of Berlin, or whatever you wish to see. We had the same problem when we wanted to go to Paris for a day. We did the Eurostar and it was a long day, but we came home with wonderful memories. If we hadn't gone, we would have kicked ourselves when we got home.

As for the concentration camp, I would hope everyone in the world would visit one, in their lifetime. I have been to a couple and, without a doubt, it was the most sobering experience I have ever encountered. It is not a happy tour, but it will be one, guaranteed, you will remember for the rest of your life.

Cheers

Len

I've driven in the UK (including London), Australia, New Zealand, and Israel. If you've never driven through Jerusalem, it's quite an experience. I'm not worried about the driving. I thought it might also be fun to rent a Bimmer or an Audi and let loose on the Autobahn. Finding my way is easy with GPS. I even checked and its 5 hours on the ferry/highway to Copenhagen (next port) if we miss the ship :)

Would love to hear from anyone who's actually done it.

When can you pick up the car? When do you have to return it in order to be onboard the ship before departure? We looked into booking a car to drive to Berlin for our upcoming cruise but because of those two times, we figured we would have very little time in Berlin for sightseeing.

(BTW, we used to live in Berlin and driving on the autobahn isn't all that exciting.)

When can you pick up the car? When do you have to return it in order to be onboard the ship before departure? We looked into booking a car to drive to Berlin for our upcoming cruise but because of those two times, we figured we would have very little time in Berlin for sightseeing.

(BTW, we used to live in Berlin and driving on the autobahn isn't all that exciting.)

Ha, I got a kick out of your last line. :D:D:D

I was stationed in Germany in the mid to late 60's and THEN, driving the Autobahn was an adventure. (Life in your hands adventure :D:D:D)

I guess things have changed. LOL

Cheers

Len

We did this exact thing in July 2013. We rented an Audi A6 from SIXT. The pickup is right at the port. An attendant will be waiting right outside the cruise terminal - you don't have to drive to a car rental place.

You can check out my blog about this trip:

http://emeraldprincessjuly6.blogspot.com/2013/07/day-4-warnemundeberlin-germany.html

We did this exact thing in July 2013. We rented an Audi A6 from SIXT. The pickup is right at the port. An attendant will be waiting right outside the cruise terminal - you don't have to drive to a car rental place.

You can check out my blog about this trip:

http://emeraldprincessjuly6.blogspot.com/2013/07/day-4-warnemundeberlin-germany.html

Awesome! Thanks!