Alaska Cruise by non-cruiser, Radiance June 19th

Cruised the Radiance June 19-26 after a sweet week in Denali National Park.

One "show off" pic:

DSC04185_zpsoawoqh9n.jpg

Isn't it awesome? We were very lucky with the weather.

I really enjoyed the Radiance. The whole family (me, 48, wife 43, kids 9&10) was afraid to go on another cruise after the cigarette-laden haven that was the Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston, our only previous cruise experience. I would certainly consider the Radiance again, with more "ups" than "downs" on this vacation:

Positives:

1. The ship was a little worn on the outside but the interior was flat out gorgeous. On this vacation, a seat near the window at any dining venue was a transcendental experience. The food, not so much...

2. Service: The service was outstanding, especially our server at Giovanni's. Only questionable service was in Cascades.

3. The Windjammer was much better than expected.

4. Medical clinic: unfortunately, my father was in the clinic with pneumonia during this cruise. Some fluids and an antibiotic injection later, he was much improved! Thumbs up to the doc on board!

5. Samba Grill and Giovanni's were fantastic.

Negatives:

1. The best thing I can say about Cascades main dining room is that we had a wonderful picture of the whole family in our formal wear out front.

2. The shower...yuk.

3. Chops: Quality of the steak was shameful, and the service was as friendly as a root canal. The other specialty restaurants were glad to let my son order off the adult menu- not at Chops. Seemed a little silly since there were people at an adjacent table ordering 2 entrees each...

4. Lack of complimentary dining venues: really was craving a sit-down meal after being in the Windjammer a few nights. Wish they had better options to Cascades. I literally saw NO ONE in Rita's or Izumi's, ANY night. Perhaps turn these into other free venues? Perhaps I am just a Dynamic Dining kind of guy. (Just kidding, I have no idea what Dynamic Dining really is, just know there's a lot of threads about it).

My son (10) loved the kids club and he developed an annoying habit of asking to go back to Adventure Ocean in the middle of excursions I paid 100's for. My daughter could take it or leave it, but she is the more shy of the two.

Can't comment on the entertainment as I wasn't up past 10PM any night.

Compasses:

Radiance Southbound Alaska Compasses

I'll try to answer any questions.

Thanks for your review. That photo is gorgeous! An Alaskan cruise is on my cruising bucket list.

We have been on Radiance a number of times and we love her. My kids also love Adventure Ocean.

...I literally saw NO ONE in Rita's or Izumi's, ANY night. Perhaps turn these into other free venues?

Actually, the Sea View Cafe (included) was on Radiance-class ships before their refurb, and are now pay venues. Jewel is the last ship in the fleet to have this gem. Delicious Reuben sandwiches! :D

Your pics and post are making me excited my family is going on Radiance Southbound August 28th!! This will be our second Alaskan trip. And a side note if anyone is interested in trying Alaska on that particular sailing I just checked and the Interior Guarantees are $380pp!! Crazy price!!

OP -

Where were you when you took that picture? It is very pretty!

Aloha,

John

We were on the Elison Shuttle in Denali National Park, just before the Elison Visitor Center. They have a specific name for the viewing area but can't recall it right now. Quite a journey but well worth it.