Port or Starboard??

jasperado

Not even been on this years cruise but already looking to next years (pax on here DID warn me of the start of an expensive addiction :) )

I am looking at Aurora R616 to the Med, taking in Seville ( berthing at Cadiz? ) Messina, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice, Valetta and Gibraltar.

Im going to tell DH that we simply HAVE to have a balcony so that we can have wonderful views as we enter each port as we sip coffee and scan the places that we hope to visit.........yes, I have the appropriate music playing in my virtual headphones, and yes, I do tend to live in cloud cuckoo-land!!

So, dear knowledgeable friends.....for each port......port or starboard cabin for optimum "wow-factor". Majority will rule (OK? ) :)

Edited by jasperado
grammatical error (whoops!)

Oh dear....it depends! Sometimes the ships go in bow first and sometimes stern - so you don't actually know whether you are going to be on the "port" side or not! And to be honest, some of the ports are not worth having a view of! The only port I guess that will possibly be the clincher is Venice but as I haven't actually been there on a cruise ship I dont knwo the answer! Sorry!

To be honest, I think it is down to whether you want the sun on your balcony in the afternoon and evenings on the way there.....or the way back!

Venice is probably the clincher however I can't really help you here as I much prefer sailing out in the early evening ( in which case I guess port would be my reply). Most people seem to prefer the sail in therefore they would prefer the starboard side. Why do I prefer the sail out? I just think it's clearer light with the glow of the soon to be setting sun picking out the fine buildings. The city is starting to wind Dow after the rush of the day & you can have a well earned drink as you wind down & prepare for dinner. Mornings can be misty but if it's your first time to sail into Venice then Starboard may just get the vote. Sorry I can't help more.

Edited by Ranchi

Not even been on this years cruise but already looking to next years (pax on here DID warn me of the start of an expensive addiction :) )

I am looking at Aurora R616 to the Med, taking in Seville ( berthing at Cadiz? ) Messina, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice, Valetta and Gibraltar.

Im going to tell DH that we simply HAVE to have a balcony so that we can have wonderful views as we enter each port as we sip coffee and scan the places that we hope to visit.........yes, I have the appropriate music playing in my virtual headphones, and yes, I do tend to live in cloud cuckoo-land!!

So, dear knowledgeable friends.....for each port......port or starboard cabin for optimum "wow-factor". Majority will rule (OK? ) :)

Well the first time we sailed into Venice I was stood on the top deck along with loads of others ,at 6.30 in the morning to see it rise up out of the lagoon.

The 2nd time we had a port cabin,more by luck than anything else. Very black skies as we left,so I was able to take some amazing pictures in the evening light.

I don't think there is a correct side for sail ins as you can see it on the sail out,if your the wrong side.

Also when docked,sometimes you will be looking out at land,and sometimes sea.

We never have a balcony, preferring to be up on deck to see the sail in or out and as others have said, you simply cannot predict whether the ship will be moored on one side or the other. Sometimes it is better to be on the side away from the port!!

We love to sit on our balcony in the late afternoon so we tend to work out which side we'll get the most sun on as we sail along. When we're sailing to the Med, we prefer starboard. I know this means port side gets more of the sun on the way back but we prefer to have more of the sun on the way out.

Thankyou for your comments so far. I think Rancher has hit the nail on the head with the approach ( or exit ) from Venice, starboard ( for the triumphant entrance ) might be the winner, but what about Valetta or Dubrovnik. Both Moorish influenced, golden buildings and light?? Maybe I might just have to get up on board and run about from side to side (wont be a pretty sight and I apologise to fellow cruisers in advance!)

Thankyou for your comments so far. I think Rancher has hit the nail on the head with the approach ( or exit ) from Venice, starboard ( for the triumphant entrance ) might be the winner, but what about Valetta or Dubrovnik. Both Moorish influenced, golden buildings and light?? Maybe I might just have to get up on board and run about from side to side (wont be a pretty sight and I apologise to fellow cruisers in advance!)

Bear in mind the sail in to Venice will be from about 6.30 in the morning, plus on a balcony you only get to see one side. On the top deck it rises up from the lagoon, and you see everything.

Dubrovnik I would say starboard side

Valetta, starboard side.

Maybe you best book 2 cabins ,one port on starboard.

Thing is any arrival in port is likely to be quite early in the morning, so unless you are early risers you may miss the best bits.

I would base the choice as to whether you like early morning sun, or late afternoon sun.

Port arrivals are almost always better from the top deck as you see the whole "effect" rather than a little bit your side.

When we sailed into Venice we were starboard. Got some fantastic photo's.

Just a small suggestion, if you want a photo that is a little different. Go onto one of the outside decks as you are leaving Venice. Stand next to your partner and as you go past St Marks Square get someone to take a photo of you. If you time it right you will have the church tower in the background .