Is this itinerary safe???

Slpray

Was this before the Skylink was added? All the terminals at DFW are connected by train post security.

He said he had to claim his baggage so I would bet he went outside security, took the shuttle to the next terminal, rechecked his bag and re-cleared security. I've done sever transfers through DFW with 45 min layovers. Most flight from SLC to DFW are 10-15 min early.

Edited by vwrestler171

Today's lesson for you....no itinerary is bulletproof.

I was due to fly from JFK to Virginia yesterday, booked through CLT (an airport I know well) with an more than adequate for anywhere, 3hr, connection.

Just after pushback from JFK we stop on a side apron and wait for ATC to give us a routing that avoids a large storm system. Engines are shut down and we sit there for almost 2hrs before we get on our way. I'm sitting on the right side of the aircraft and can see the enormous storm system approaching as we fly down the east coast and then as we descend into CLT we inevitably divert to Raleigh. We get to RDU around 9.30pm and as soon as we pull up at the stand I'm on the phone to AA as it's pretty clear I'll miss my connection (I was tracking my connecting flight on the AA app, the inbound aircraft for the connector was already on the ground) and already the first two flights of the following day are completely booked up. I was on an FC itinerary and considered myself fortunate to be able to get a seat in F on that third flight of the day which gets me in mid afternoon.

After 3hrs on the ground at RDU (mostly waiting for safe conditions to refuel) we get to CLT just after 1am and after much shenanigans I don't get a hotel room until about 3am. I'm lucky I'm only travelling for business and going to my home office so my late arrival isn't a big deal but if I absolutely needed to be somewhere I'd have been hosed....and this is through a hub that's generally very slick and delay free.

Edited by fbgd

Was this before the Skylink was added? All the terminals at DFW are connected by train post security.

I had to go to baggage, so was outside of security. Last flight I took to/from there was Dec 14. So Skylink in place.

I had to go to baggage, so was outside of security. Last flight I took to/from there was Dec 14. So Skylink in place.

I still am not getting why you had to leave the secure area & collect bags??

My Mom flew into BUF from Midland connecting in DFW & do not recall her saying she had to collect bags

they were through checked to BUF from Midland TX

Were you on separate tickets ??

We have had our bags through checked to the destination or maybe it only work if you are flying internationally (Canada)

We have done Midland to DFW to Toronto ..never saw the bags until Toronto

I don't have "tickets". The connection time was extended, so I choose not to have the bags checked through. I had hours of time, since I selected to fly out earlier.

So, how many hours from when you expected to land until when you actually did land?? We switched our flight, so we're getting in on Friday at 10:45pm and we have to be on board by 3PM on Sunday. the airport is a mile away from the port. I _ think_ that we'd still be ok even in your crazy scenario!

I just booked our family tickets from

Kansas City to FLL with layover in DFW. The layover at DFW is an hour and 10 minutes. We'll arrive at 1045PM the day BEFORE our cruise. Do you think this leaves enough time for missed flights, etc etc to get us there for a 5 PM departure the following day?

When do they stop boarding the ship? We are sailing RC Allure. I figure worse case, we'd have to get in early the next day (missed flight etc) and go directly to the ship from the airport.

Today's lesson for you....no itinerary is bulletproof.

I was due to fly from JFK to Virginia yesterday, booked through CLT (an airport I know well) with an more than adequate for anywhere, 3hr, connection.

Just after pushback from JFK we stop on a side apron and wait for ATC to give us a routing that avoids a large storm system. Engines are shut down and we sit there for almost 2hrs before we get on our way. I'm sitting on the right side of the aircraft and can see the enormous storm system approaching as we fly down the east coast and then as we descend into CLT we inevitably divert to Raleigh. We get to RDU around 9.30pm and as soon as we pull up at the stand I'm on the phone to AA as it's pretty clear I'll miss my connection (I was tracking my connecting flight on the AA app, the inbound aircraft for the connector was already on the ground) and already the first two flights of the following day are completely booked up. I was on an FC itinerary and considered myself fortunate to be able to get a seat in F on that third flight of the day which gets me in mid afternoon.

After 3hrs on the ground at RDU (mostly waiting for safe conditions to refuel) we get to CLT just after 1am and after much shenanigans I don't get a hotel room until about 3am. I'm lucky I'm only travelling for business and going to my home office so my late arrival isn't a big deal but if I absolutely needed to be somewhere I'd have been hosed....and this is through a hub that's generally very slick and delay free.

I still am not getting why you had to leave the secure area & collect bags??

My Mom flew into BUF from Midland connecting in DFW & do not recall her saying she had to collect bags

they were through checked to BUF from Midland TX

I'm flying completely different then your mother on nonrev standby.

Edited by Budget Queen

I'm flying completely different then your mother on nonrev standby.

Makes more sense then

But to advise people not flying on a free ticket that they must go out of the secure area is not right :eek:

So, how many hours from when you expected to land until when you actually did land?? We switched our flight, so we're getting in on Friday at 10:45pm and we have to be on board by 3PM on Sunday. the airport is a mile away from the port. I _ think_ that we'd still be ok even in your crazy scenario!

About 16hrs in my case. Although obviously if you're flying a thin route with minimal service it could be much longer.

Coincidentally it's the second time in as many months that I've unexpectedly overnighted at CLT. The previous was a mechanical issue and I was able to get on the first flight the following morning.

I think there's a fine line between playing it so safe you're wasting days and days and playing it super risky for the sake of a few dollars.

I think there's a fine line between playing it so safe you're wasting days and days and playing it super risky for the sake of a few dollars.[/quote

Exactly!

Edited by Slpray

Makes more sense then

But to advise people not flying on a free ticket that they must go out of the secure area is not right :eek:

I already corrected that, back several posts. I then mentioned the extra time needed if going to a different concourse.