Island Princess question

wwinfl91

My wife and I are looking at a cruise to Hawaii on the Island Princess in either October or November of this year. Can anyone give me some comments on their experiences on the Island Princess or on Hawaii cruises from the West coast and back. We are looking at a guarantee for a balcony cabin as Princess is offering an upgrade from outside to Balcony for $99.

This would be our first trip to Hawaii and our second on Princess.

Thanks in advance for your help.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Go for the Balcony - it is so worth it.

Island is a nice ship. Dining room staff was hurried and not as friendly as other cruise lines we have been on but cabin steward was exceptional.

Fruit in the rooms in the afternoon was a nice treat and aft decks are best place to read a book.

Our wait staff on Island were wonderful. They were charming and we enjoyed them. Even the maitre'd and headwaiter were great -- visible, happy, accomodating.

Hello, Ivana and Sebastian!!!! (He's the VERRRRY tall assistant waiter. You can't miss him.)

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

We just got back last week and so far it is my favorite ship!! By October alot of the staff will have changed, so I won't make any recommendations but the ship itself is great!! The night life is a little quiet after midnight but that's okay with me - need to get up to enjoy the time by the pool icon_biggrin.gif . There was a review of our cruise about 5 days ago (sorry don't know how to put a link in) that might help a bit. Definitely go for the balcony - on your sea days you won't be able to see much but having the fresh air during the night or first thing in the morning, being able to have breakfast out there, etc. is great.

Joanne

03/25/04 Island Princess

08/15/03 Majesty of the Sea (b to b)

03/26/03 Sun Princess

12/15/02 Grand Princess

Susan, Check the review from a few pages back from AmyinGA. Are you doing Traditional or Personal Choice? We had PC, were in the dining room on the 5th floor and just asked for Matt never really checked the numbers - I think they were tables 92-95. Out of our 10 days I would definitely say he was one of the best!!

Joanne

03/25/04 Island Princess

03/26/03 Sun Princess

12/15/02 Grand Princess

Here is my review of our recent cruise on the Island http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=792107311

We had a balcony cabin and loved it. We had been in mini-suites before, but we were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked the balcony cabin. We picked the Caribe deck in order to have a large balcony that was half open/half covered. When it started to rain one day I was able to stay outside without getting wet. The balcony had a table and two chairs. We even had enough rooom for a pool lounge chair. The bathroom is small, so I suggest bringing an over the door organizer to help with storage in the bathroom.

Hi WWINFL91,

We are fellow Floridians as I see you are in Kissimmee and we're in Altamonte Springs. We just completed a cruise on the Island, we were on her from 3/25 -4/4 and loved the ship. We had not cruised Princess since '93 but were so impressed that we booked the Island for 10/6 to Hawaii. Hope that you may join us.

Arlene

After our partial Panama Canal transit in Feb. we were so impressed with the Island Princess that we are looking forward even more to our Hawaiian cruise on this ship in Nov. Why not join us? You will not be disappointed with this ship.

$99. for a balcony, I would not hesitate. Go for it.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Any one notice how many people love the Island Princess? Kind of makes me chuckle because most of the early reviews were negative. When I sailed her in november I figured these people must have been on a different ship because everything about the Island was wonderful.

We are even thinking about doing the 3 day Alaska repositioning cruise just to be back on her again!

Scott

Actually Scott, I just got off the Island and am thinking about doing the 3 day as well. I'd be bring along my oldest daughter (22) so it all depends on her schedule. The Island is definitely my favorite ship so far!!

Joanne

03/25/04 Island Princess

03/26/03 Sun Princess

12/15/02 Grand Princess

We just just got off the Island (Hi Joanne). We loved it. We would love to take the same ship to Hawaii. We stayed on the Caribe deck on the bump out and loved it. I can never go back to an inside cabin. I liked the fact that at anytime you can just step outside and get fresh air. Great for sleeping at night.

CdnJules

Island Princess March 25/04

Inspiration Carnival March/03

cdnjules

It wasn't me that got the balcony for $99. extra. I was just referring to wwinfl91's comment in his first para, last sentence at the beginning of this thread.

Better ask him.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I was just on the Island Princess in March. We all loved this ship and our cruise. I'd go back on the Island in a heartbeat. Check out my cruise review:

http://hometown.aol.com/moodytoonz/myhomepage/vacation.html

I cruised Hawaii several years ago on the old Pacific Princess. That was probably my favorite cruise of all the ones I've taken.

I'd definitely go for the $99 upgrade.

My husband and I are taking the southern inside passage on the Island Princess on Sept 11.for Alaska. We are first timers and we are booked in a mini suite. Has PCL ever not been able to give you the room that you booked?

Thanks a ton!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaryPoppinz:

Our wait staff on Island were wonderful. They were charming and we enjoyed them. Even the maitre'd and headwaiter were great -- visible, happy, accomodating.

Hello, Ivana and Sebastian!!!! (He's the VERRRRY tall assistant waiter. You can't miss him.)

_"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise." _

-- _Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a REAL Mulder so this oughta be a great cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;09;11;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

9/11 Alaska Southbound Island Princess

Jannyo,

If you booked a specific cabin number then the only way they would move you is if they give you an upgrade. If you don't want to be moved regardless then make sure you have it noted in your reservation that you do not want an upgrade.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ahracer:

Jannyo,

If you booked a specific cabin number then the only way they would move you is if they give you an upgrade. If you don't want to be moved regardless then make sure you have it noted in your reservation that you do not want an upgrade.

Scott<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Scott!!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;09;11;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

9/11 Alaska Southbound Island Princess

Hi wwinfl91

We were on the Island Princess with cdnguy in Feb, and I vote for this ship. She is the best so far out of all of the Princess ship's. I love the size of her, the food, and I'm a very picky eater. The entertainment was great, I would sail on this ship again in a heartbeat. So my advice is go for it, you won't be sorry!!

icon_wink.gif

Charlene

~~lvs2cruz~~

Thanks to everyone for the great input. It looks like we will be cruising on the Island Princess in October this year. I got a quote from my TA today and left her message I was calling her back tomorrow. Right now we are looking at a Balcony guarantee but I also asked her about a Mini-suite although I'm not sure we really want to spend the extra $200 a person. I think we might rather use that to supply us with wine with dinner and drinks before and after.

Thanks again for everyone's help and keep up the comments.

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

We are looking at going on the Oct 6th sailing. That way we will be on the ship for my wife's birthday (and no I won't get myself in trouble by saying which birthday). I think another poster, Arlene, posted she was going on the Oct 6 cruise also so I guess we will know at least one other couple.

Once we finalize our plans hopefully we can get a good cruise critic thread going on the Roll Call board. We did this on a Celebrity cruise we took last fall and had over 50 people at a get together the first day at sea. We sat with two couples from that group at dinner and had a wonderful time.

Have a great time on your cruise and talk at you later.

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Archived