Silly Question - 1 Suitcase for 2 for 7 night

taylortime05

Wow - it sounds like you had a great time with your daughter. I would love to tour Europe. That is on my bucket list when we retire. I will probably end up paying for 2 checked bags and then take a school bag as my personal item.

We did! She had just graduated from HS and I was on sabbatical from work. :)

I've never traveled Spirit so am not familiar with their baggage guidelines, but what about checking one larger bag instead of two small ones? Wouldn't that save a little $$??

We did! She had just graduated from HS and I was on sabbatical from work. :)

I've never traveled Spirit so am not familiar with their baggage guidelines, but what about checking one larger bag instead of two small ones? Wouldn't that save a little $$??

Before you do make sure you follow their rules or expect to pay very high bag fees. My own opinion when reading negative reviews on Spirit fees is that people did not read the bag fee rules clearly and complain when they get hit by a big bill. Example they don't pay $35 for a carry on, they avoid second notice of carry on before online check in at $40, they avoid 3rd warning at $45 after online checking, they avoid 4th warning at airport for $55, finally they get to the gate and get charged $100 then complain.

Rant over lol.

Regarding your question checked bag on spirit is max 62 linear inches suitcase (length + width + height gives linear inches)

And suitcase can only weigh 40 pounds max.

"Checked bags: Maximum of 62 linear inches (length + width + height; 158 cm) including handles and wheels and maximum of 40 pounds in weight (18.1 kg). Any bag that exceeds these dimensions or weight limit is considered oversized/overweight and has a corresponding charge. "

If your suitcase is larger the 62 linear inches or overweight then high fees will occur..

All details on prices are on their site at this link

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices?_ga=1.70160720.1990896341.1435677117

Def can do it. We just came back from a week in Reno/Tahoe with just a carry on each, and had spare clothes. Remember to roll your clothes when packing, takes up much less space. I usually put out my clothes, and eliminate half. My DH thinks I'm crazy, but I make lists of outfits, try to mix and match, and figure out what days I would wear what. We have done it many times, mostly when taking the train to the ship, don't wanna drag anything heavy. Only problem is with winter sailings, when we need warm bulky clothes, plus warm weather stuff.

Try and good luck

Safe sailing

PS- have one daughter in under grad, one just graduated grad school, and is getting married in 3 months. We cruise a lot, and try to save as much as we can, cuz only dummies spend more than they have too!!

Hi,

I have a silly question.

Has anyone travelled on a 7 night cruise with 2 people with only 1 suitcase?

If I end up flying with Spirit because their airfare is cheaper then I have to pay for every carry on and every check in.

What do you think?

Thanks

Sue

Since you have to pay on Spirit I'd take a 24 or 26 inch bag. You'll easily have enough room for two people's clothing if you mix and match and rewear stuff.

I was just checking out Spirit for a quick trip to Chicago and thought I could do a weekends with a backpack. I also found it interesting that the checked bag fee was cheaper than the paid carry-on fee. I actually ended up booking with SouthWest because once I started adding all the Spirit fees (a seat fee, really!) it was cheaper.

Anyway, we did an all inclusive last month with 1 checked suitcase. So you can do the Caribbean for 2 with 1 suitcase. I'd probably go with a bigger checked bag rather than carry-ons then use backpacks as the personal items.

If you need packing tips, look up the "bundling" technique. You kind of wrap your clothes together it saves a bunch of room. Or go with packing cubes/compression bags.

Disclaimer: I am the only male. Traveling with three females... Seven day cruise to the West, 14 checked cases.....

Insane, lol.

I did 30 days in Europe with one carry on. But maybe I'm not the typical female. Mix and match knit tops and bottoms in red, tan and white. 1 skirt, 2 shorts, 2 long pants, 5 tops. Quick dry undies. 1 bathing suit, just in case. 1 pair sandals, 1 tennies.

I was just checking out Spirit for a quick trip to Chicago and thought I could do a weekends with a backpack. I also found it interesting that the checked bag fee was cheaper than the paid carry-on fee. I actually ended up booking with SouthWest because once I started adding all the Spirit fees (a seat fee, really!) it was cheaper.

Anyway, we did an all inclusive last month with 1 checked suitcase. So you can do the Caribbean for 2 with 1 suitcase. I'd probably go with a bigger checked bag rather than carry-ons then use backpacks as the personal items.

If you need packing tips, look up the "bundling" technique. You kind of wrap your clothes together it saves a bunch of room. Or go with packing cubes/compression bags.

Never pay the seat fee to pick a seat :) (I understand some will if they have a little kid with them though but if you don't never pay it)

At airport when checking in on their little automatic machine then your given your seat for free or at online checkin 24 hours before the flight when you get their email to checkin. If traveling with other people as long as everything was booked together majority of the time the system will automatically seat everyone together or like the row across.

We love Spirit prices as were in Canada which are 3 or 4x more. We drive over the border and fly direct to FLL. Best price we ever paid was $34.10 each way ($4 more then the checked bag each way lol). Amazing deal if you find them at the right time !

Edited by jb456

I could do a week with a carry on and a backpack. But being a bald guy on a warm weather vacation lets me cheat quite a bit, so that may not work for you. I would just eat the cost to check one bag.

I would YouTube how to pack in a bundle or burrito style if you aren't familiar with it. You can squeeze a ton in a small bag. Skip the packing cubes, folders, etc. Folding and placing each item separately wastes a lot of space. And you'll actually end up with less wrinkles too.

Thank you. I will look at the video after work today. :)

Most days you will probably be in a bathing suit ,so will only be wearing regular clothes from dinner on. You should be able to wear those outfits more than once (nobody remembers what you already wore) Bring a couple of basic colored bottoms and some different shirts. If needed, you can always rinse out some lighter items by hand to avoid the laundry. They will not dry quickly though

We find it easy to do NCL with a carry on each. Rolling clothes is important. No need to dress for dinner. Old Navy is your friend - I pack a couple of dresses that can go from beach cover up to dinner dress if I need them to. I'm dreading packing for our upcoming HAL trip (first timer) because of all the dinner dressing, but what can I say, I liked the itinerary. But for NCL - no problem.

It's certainly doable! I used the method in the video I linked to below! I am an overpacker so I applied this method to my large suitcase it was amazing how much stuff I was able to pack not to mention most of it was wrinkle free:-) Have a great trip!

Your comment seems a little mean spirited. I am financially capable of taking a cruise. I have 2 kids in college and 1 getting married next year so I am trying to take a nice vacation but keep it as economical as possible. I said in my title that it was a silly question. I just wondered if people ever travelled that light. I normally over pack and take 1 carry on and 1 check in.
You are right her answer was snarky :cool:.

I defiantly think you can do it if you want. I would do a trial packing and see how much fits and what you have to leave behind.

Don't forget sunscreen and medications they don't take up that much space and are super expensive on ship. Most ships I have been on have body wash/soap and shampoo in the bathroom.

Shoes take up lots of space one pair for day and 1 pair packed for night/back ups

Plain bottoms with different tops work for multiple days. I find we care more about our clothing than anyone else does.

Never pay the seat fee to pick a seat :) (I understand some will if they have a little kid with them though but if you don't never pay it)

At airport when checking in on their little automatic machine then your given your seat for free or at online checkin 24 hours before the flight when you get their email to checkin. If traveling with other people as long as everything was booked together majority of the time the system will automatically seat everyone together or like row across.

We love Spirit prices as were in Canada which are 3 or 4x more. We drive over the border and fly direct to FLL. Best price we ever paid was $34.10 each way ($4 more then the checked bag each way lol). Amazing deal if you find them at the right time !

Oh, from the website it made it sound like I had to pick a seat. I guess I didn't read it closely enough

It's certainly doable! I used the method in the video I linked to below! I am an overpacker so I applied this method to my large suitcase it was amazing how much stuff I was able to pack not to mention most of it was wrinkle free:-) Have a great trip!

This!

Everyone should give this method a shot at least once. Even for a trail run just to see how it works. If you use this method and fill a 25~ inch suitcase, your issue is you are way more likely to be over the weight limit than not be able to pack all of your stuff. No wrinkles, super easy to unpack, no folding your clothes ahead of time. I use my toiletry back to make the base in the middle so it also insulates those bottles from getting crushed or smashed too. It's a win win.

I even have my mom packing this way. And this is the lady who recently took 3 full size bottles of shampoo on a 2.5 day trip because she wasn't sure which kind would work best with the hotel water :eek:

Oh, from the website it made it sound like I had to pick a seat. I guess I didn't read it closely enough

When on that page scroll to the bottom. On left hand side you will see in black "continue with purchase" underneath that in tiny red writing you will see the option "continue without selecting seats". Select that one :p

Hi,

I have a silly question.

Has anyone travelled on a 7 night cruise with 2 people with only 1 suitcase?

If I end up flying with Spirit because their airfare is cheaper then I have to pay for every carry on and every check in.

What do you think?

Thanks

Sue

Maybe, if you're sailing Carnival, because they have washers & dryers you can use! Personally, I'm not sharing my suitcase! lol

Its totally doable - I saw alots of people on my last 2 trips doing carry-on , especially the weekender rolling bags and one or two backpacks /totes.

Its possible to do, especially if doing a Caribbean trip.

Me? I use pretty much the same wardrobe whether its a 7 days or 3 weeks in a rolling 22inch duffel and large backpack to hold my toiletries plus hair products (gotta take care of the frizz hair...) for the Carbibean. I pretty have to pack light due to traveling alone and need to be able to lift stuff up flights of upstairs - you have to ask what other obstacles besides airline fees, you're going to be dealing with a checked or heavy bag. Otherwise, do what you think makes it easy for you and your traveling companion(s)/spouse/family, even if it means checking bag(s).

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

In seriousness though, I do overpack. Reasoning you can't get caught short. So socks and underware 2x a day, shorts, prob 5 pair. Dress pants, prob 3 pair. Jacket and tie for dinner, four dress shirts, dress shoes, casual shoes, sandals. Casual shirt x7, t-shirts x7. It adds up.

In seriousness though, I do overpack. Reasoning you can't get caught short. So socks and underware 2x a day, shorts, prob 5 pair. Dress pants, prob 3 pair. Jacket and tie for dinner, four dress shirts, dress shoes, casual shoes, sandals. Casual shirt x7, t-shirts x7. It adds up.

Usually when we fly and we will be gone a week we each have a checked bag and a carryon.

I was just trying to save money if we travel with Spirit because they charge 30 each way for 1st checked bag and even more for carryon's.

But I haven't made my flight arrangements. Both Delta & Southwest are about 100 more per ticket. With Delta we get 2 free checked bags per person plus a free carryon. We have the Delta Amex. With Southwest I think they give you 2 free checked.

So many people have so many negative things to say about Spirit that I am reconsidering. If I do want for each of us to take a checked bag then Delta & Southwest are only 40 more than Spirit.

I also overpack so 1 checked suitcase for both of us would be a stretch for me. I am thinking I at least want 2 checked bags at a minimum just so I don't get stressed out.