Greek ships

Just heard an item on the news about shipping lines based in Greece haven't thus far paid much in the way of taxes and that this looks as though it will have to change under the new EU agreement (subject to approval by the Greek Government).

Wonder what, if any impact, that may have on running costs for Louis owned/operated ships and subsequently costs to passengers? :(

Even if they agree the deal, will they stick to it ?

Will they register the ships else where ? Even the UK has done that with ships in the past .

It seems they voted against tough measures the other week and now seem to be taking on even more tougher measures for Greece .

I don't think anyone knows how this will pan out .

As said before the days of Shakespeare ... It's all Greek to me :confused: :confused: ;)

I'm no expert but I would think Thomsons would have this included in their contract and Louis will have to absorb the tax rises. They will probably have to raise prices on their own cruises though.

All the port taxes are being increased also. So I would imagine this cost will be passes on as the increases are dated from 1st July.

the greeks definitely want to up the taxes for tourists (could be a big earner for them)

imo the greeks would like to hope that it will be tourists that will pay down a lot of their debt

unless tour operators switch more pax to bulgaria/romania etc etc (not much in the way of taxes paid there either) ;)

Apparently hotels and restuarants in Greek tourist areas have exemption from VAT.

That is one of the reforms their government will have to undertake without delay - I saw 23% VAT being mentioned.

If they try and hike up holiday prices significantly it'll deter tourists and create a vicious circle.

Some of the articles I've been reading about Greece, if accurate, are astonishing.

For example, retirement (for certain job types) at age 50 with a 95% pension, based on earnings and funded by the state system !!!

Cleaners on the national railways on 65,000 Euros a year - train drivers on 130,000 Euros, and more employees than passengers.

Schools with 4 times as many staff as similar in the UK.

Reality check coming ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Apparently hotels and restuarants in Greek tourist areas have exemption from VAT.

That is one of the reforms their government will have to undertake without delay - I saw 23% VAT being mentioned.

If they try and hike up holiday prices significantly it'll deter tourists and create a vicious circle.

Some of the articles I've been reading about Greece, if accurate, are astonishing.

For example, retirement (for certain job types) at age 50 with a 95% pension, based on earnings and funded by the state system !!!

Cleaners on the national railways on 65,000 Euros a year - train drivers on 130,000 Euros, and more employees than passengers.

Schools with 4 times as many staff as similar in the UK.

Reality check coming ?

I am sure we paid VAT on restaurant meals in Corfu. It was itemised out on the till bills. I'm not sure what the rate was.

I was told 2/3 years ago that the price of property in London was inflated partly due to the amount of Greek money being invested there by Greeks getting their money out of Greece.

I love Greece and hope tourists will not be put off by the austerity measures. Even if prices do go up it is still a good value place to go on holiday, IMO.

I think you will find that Louis is a Cypriot company not a Greek Company I just looked at pictures of Thomson Spirit and its registered in Limmasol Cyprus.

Unfortunately in Thomson's T&C's it says they can increase the prices even after booking because of 'changes in our costs' but I think they have to let you know 10 weeks, they say before final invoice :eek:

I am sure we paid VAT on restaurant meals in Corfu. It was itemised out on the till bills. I'm not sure what the rate was.

I was told 2/3 years ago that the price of property in London was inflated partly due to the amount of Greek money being invested there by Greeks getting their money out of Greece.

I love Greece and hope tourists will not be put off by the austerity measures. Even if prices do go up it is still a good value place to go on holiday, IMO.

It used to be 13%, going up to 23%.

I must admit I've been staggered by all the revelations. They'll just have to come and the join the real world with the rest of us.

Edited by happy v

imo the syriza government has tried to do what it promised the voters it would do and has encouraged 'patriotic feelings' which imo is what is missing from (our dehumanised) british politics (which represents only the careers of its mp's and the interests of its donors)

i am enjoying seeing the irreverent and non-servile attitude of the greeks as they stand up to the imperialist german dominated bullies aka the european union (it gives me hope for our own future)

over here we seem to just accept swingeing cuts and high taxes with hardly a peep? and just accept it when we are told 'we are all in it together'... it was the 'banksters' that frittered away all our money? now we are all paying the price

#teamgreece

Edited by geomagot

imo the syriza government has tried to do what it promised the voters it would do and has encouraged 'patriotic feelings' which imo is what is missing from (our dehumanised) british politics (which represents only the careers of its mp's and the interests of its donors)

i am enjoying seeing the irreverent and non-servile attitude of the greeks as they stand up to the imperialist german dominated bullies aka the european union (it gives me hope for our own future)

over here we seem to just accept swingeing cuts and high taxes with hardly a peep? and just accept it when we are told 'we are all in it together'... it was the 'banksters' that frittered away all our money? now we are all paying the price

#teamgreece

Well said geo :) I'm just looking for my red flag to wave, lol :D:D:D

It seems tax evasion has been the favourite greek hobby for decades, whatever deal is hammered out the greeks won't make the repayments.

Meanwhile just take euros to greece, or dollars if you are nervous :)