Royal Caribbean vs Princess

Van1982

Anyone can have a bad experience on any ship, any time, any cruise line. However, we are Elite on Princess, Elite+ on Celebrity and Diamond + on RCI. Sometimes you can experience a bad situation. Years ago we experienced a bad situation on Princess. We gave it another try and since then we have cruised many times on Princess. There is no cruise line that we only cruise on. Too many good experiences out there. It is like life. Ups and downs. Enjoy and try again.

I am Elite on Princess so I do get a lot of extras, but, recently I took a RCI cruise with my daughter and couldn't believe how spoiled I have become with Princess. JMHO!

I now call RCI the "no" ship.

Boarding: My daughter brought a case of water along and we were told "no" when we tried to have it brought on board with our luggage (it had a luggage tag attached). She had to carry it thru boarding and around the ship until our staterooms were available.

Breakfast: My daughter was looking forward to Lox and cream cheese on a bagel, "no" they did not have it on the menu, nor was it available.

Bar: Both of us went to the bar and asked for a Daiquiri, "no" they do not make Daiquiri's except when it is the drink of the day??? This was at any of the bars onboard. What kind of bar can't make a drink?

Breakfast: "no" Cranberry Juice which I always have for breakfast.

Stateroom: "no" refrigerator

Luggage: My bags were sent to the Naughty Room, but I was never advised that they were there. No note in my stateroom or even a phone call. I had asked our room steward and he kept telling me that they had up to 9 p.m. to deliver them and not to worry. I went to the naughty room twice and could not find them. Finally at 9 p.m. after I went up to the top deck to wave goodbye to them (thinking they must have been left on the dock) I went to Passenger Services and finally saw my bags sitting in the back on a cart. I identified them and was asked to open them, when they did not find anything? they told me it was o.k. and I DRAGGED THEM BACK TO MY STATEROOM BY MYSELF. NO ONE OFFERED TO PORTER THEM FOR ME.

I will never travel on RCI again and I tell anyone who will listen about my horrible experience.

Ok I booked it this morning. Since they don't discount for the 3rd and 4th passenger in the stateroom, we booked rooms next to each other (was cheaper as they are running a 50% off the second person in the stateroom promo). The kids will be happy and maybe going outside my comfort zone will be rewarded.

Ok I booked it this morning. Since they don't discount for the 3rd and 4th passenger in the stateroom, we booked rooms next to each other (was cheaper as they are running a 50% off the second person in the stateroom promo). The kids will be happy and maybe going outside my comfort zone will be rewarded.

Much better having the room of 2 different cabins. :)

Not many deals anymore for the 3rd and 4th. Just another way to make more $$ :(

Look at it this way, you're getting a second bathroom! ;-)

wow cruisewithh , you had all the worst luck on rci:(

this is obviously not the norm,or they would be out of business...we have several cruises with rci and every time our water/soda make it to the room just fine(except one time i was called to naughty room for inspection-no alcohol ,no problem)and very rarely hear "no" ...daquiris no problem...fridge-always had one:confused:

dave

I like RCI and agree with what you said except about the fridge. They are more coolers than a fridge. They don't really keep anything cold...at least any I've had on my RCI cruises. I'm hoping those on Princess are better.

I like RCI and agree with what you said except about the fridge. They are more coolers than a fridge. They don't really keep anything cold...at least any I've had on my RCI cruises. I'm hoping those on Princess are better.

Inside the Princess fridges is a dial that can be used to set the temperature. Just make sure it is at the coolest setting.

We have sailed 15 times divided among most of the mainstream cruise lines, including several with Royal Caribbean. In fact our last cruise was on RCCL in October 2014.

Our preference is Princess because the whole "experience package" just seems better for us. To name just two aspects, the quality of the food in the MDR seems marginally superior, and the enrichment lecturers actually present their subject in an informed and enthusiastic manner. I should also qualify my comments by stating our age, which is in the late 60's.

Edited by Grimsby

Obviously seen below, our favorite is Princess. However, we have 3 Royal Caribbean cruises booked, so we certainly don't "dislike" RCI. Here are some of my comparisons: We like the food on Princess better, but Royal Caribbean has a nicer main dining room. Stateroom venues are very similar, so a draw. Personalized service is a bit better on Princess in our experience. The "enrichment" presentations are much better on Princess. RCI has more onboard activities, but many of them don't appeal to us. (I climbed enough rocks on the Appalachian Trail last year; don't need artificial ones!) RCI has nothing like Crooners, which is a favorite relax venue for me.

And, yes, they do vary ship-to-ship. That's why we have favorites (Ocean Princess) and least-favorites (Sapphire Princess) on the same cruise line.

Overall, being an engineer, I like to "number" things. So on my scale, Carnival is a 1, Princess is a 10. Royal Caribbean is an 8.5, and Celebrity is a 10.4. Any single ship can vary from this basic numbering.

We are trying the mega-ship this Fall, so I reserve the right to adjust my analysis based on additional experience.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

RCL ships have more of a WOW factor, the only ships we consider on Princess are the Royal/Regal.

Because you like waiting in lines at elevators or because you enjoy the tiny balconies? ;) Some RCL ships have a wow factor, but not sure about the ones they send to Alaska. For large ships, the Ruby Princess is still one of our favorites.

RCI has nothing like Crooners, which is a favorite relax venue for me.

The RCI Voyager Class (and maybe some of the others) has the Schooner Bar which also has Crooners type entertainment each evening.