Drinks in Hot Tubs

For the record, I've seen people with drinks in the hot tubs on ships. I'm not a hot tub user - too much like a crock pot for people in my mind - but I have seen it. Until this thread, I never gave it a second thought. I'll probably go right back to not thinking about it now.

Of course, if I had noticed you lolling in the hot tub, drink(s) in hand, for a half hour or so, I too might have been among the Maasdam passengers who decided not to use said hot tub.

And I always thought of cruisers as a happy, social bunch. As I say, I'm doing my best to adjust to a new brand. Ironically, my friends generally think of me as being a little uptight and preoccupied with being appropriate. I'm starting to feel a little boorish now, though. :p

FI'm not a hot tub user - too much like a crock pot for people in my mind - but I have seen it.

We like to drink on the deck and watch the people splash about in the "human soup". It's amazing how long some of them can stay in there without having to come out to use the facilities. Kind of like a swim-up bar.:eek:

Smooth Sailing ! :):):)

IMO I guess it really isn't a good idea to mix alcohol and hot tubs for a variety of reasons like for health reasons, spillage in the tub, and of course....what goes in; must go out. Sorry, but you know it happens especially while people are relaxed and drinking alcohol. I've drank in hot tub before on ships and no one said a word. It all depends from the cruise line, their policy, but enforcement can be random. Bar staff would probably rather sell you liquor to make tips vs to scold you in the hot tub for drinking. But whatever the case... it's their ships and their policies and while in international waters you must obey what they say.

Bar staff would probably rather sell you liquor to make tips vs to scold you in the hot tub for drinking. But whatever the case... it's their ships and their policies and while in international waters you must obey what they say.

I agree entirely with the last bit. But the main reason I am interested in the experiences of long-time HAL Mariners was that the Bar Manager (i.e the officer in charge of bar service throughout the ship) told me explicitly that there is no prohibition against drinking in the hot tub. So, that contradicted what I was told by the bar servers. It may just be that I was one of the very few HAL passengers who had it in his mind that it was an excellent idea to drink a gin and tonic in the hot tub! :cool:

A part of my story I haven't told yet: the second morning of the cruise I received the Signature Beverage Package as a gift of Holland America Line. I still wonder if the gift was a result of my question/complaint to the bar manager or if it was for some other unknown reason. Regardless, I was grateful for the excellent gift from HAL. :D

I guess the answer to your question should come in the form of a question. How would you feel if the last 12 people had dumped their drinks, accidentally, in the hot tub you were about to enter? How would your wife/girlfriend/companion/partner feel about it too? Would it add or detract from your hot tubbing experience?

You never know what has happened 5 minutes or 65 minutes before you entered the hot tub. It is best to keep the area clear and the water clean.

For the record, I've seen people with drinks in the hot tubs on ships. I'm not a hot tub user - too much like a crock pot for people in my mind - but I have seen it. Until this thread, I never gave it a second thought. I'll probably go right back to not thinking about it now.

I call it epithelial soup. OP can drink in the hot tub all he wants as far as I'm concerned. Just not in a speedo.

This is all rather bizarre...

Speedo bashing mixed with drinks in hot tub comments.

I don't often go into the hot tubs (and if I do, I opt for early mornings when it is still unadulterated after being cleaned overnight) And yes, chances are I am in a speedo-type bathing suit but since it is mist likely a gay charter, there isn't all this drama about men in speedos (it is rather common)

I am sure I have seen people drinking while in hot tubs - even on HAL.

With all the bubbling going on in the hot tub I wonder how anyone would even notice if a drink was spilled in it.

OP: perhaps you just need to take a refillable water bottle to pour ypur drink in. ;). And speedo on.

This is all rather bizarre...

Speedo bashing mixed with drinks in hot tub comments.

I was just trying to add a little humor by adding the Speedo reference. It got away from me.

Founded in NSW Australia in 1914, the company has not been without controversy: "1932 At the Los Angeles Olympic Games, Australian Claire Dennis took gold in the 200m breaststroke, but caused controversy in her Speedo*swimsuit that "showed too much shoulder".

Yep. Too much shoulder.

https://speedo.com.au/page/history

This is all rather bizarre...Speedo bashing mixed with drinks in hot tub comments. I am sure I have seen people drinking while in hot tubs - even on HAL.

It has been an interesting thread, Peter, that's for sure! As I keep saying, I was just looking for some sense of what's typical for a standard HAL cruise, especially since I had only experienced HAL through the magical lense of RSVP before my really nice cruise on Maasdam.

I have gleaned the following: many folks have a big concern for my health (thanks!); many folks have an aversion to hot tubs (chlorine, people!); and Speedos cause folks to freak out for all sorts of profound psychological reasons (they're comfy and fast drying!). I also sense that folks drinking cocktails in the actual hot tub is not the norm on HAL, which just seems strange compared with my experience on NCL and Princess. (I guarantee the hot tub will be filled with boozers on my one-night sailing on Ruby Princess in September.)

But, I've developed this bizarre fascination with HAL right now, so HAL and its passengers are just going to have to get used to my occasional G&T in the hot tub. After all, I'm HAL's future, being that I'm only 47 and I have a lot of cruises in my future.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

It has been an interesting thread, Peter, that's for sure! As I keep saying, I was just looking for some sense of what's typical for a standard HAL cruise, especially since I had only experienced HAL through the magical lense of RSVP before my really nice cruise on Maasdam.

I have gleaned the following: many folks have a big concern for my health (thanks!); many folks have an aversion to hot tubs (chlorine, people!); and Speedos cause folks to freak out for all sorts of profound psychological reasons (they're comfy and fast drying!). I also sense that folks drinking cocktails in the actual hot tub is not the norm on HAL, which just seems strange compared with my experience on NCL and Princess. (I guarantee the hot tub will be filled with boozers on my one-night sailing on Ruby Princess in September.)

But, I've developed this bizarre fascination with HAL right now, so HAL and its passengers are just going to have to get used to my occasional G&T in the hot tub. After all, I'm HAL's future, being that I'm only 47 and I have a lot of cruises in my future.

Don't worry too much. Seems that lots of people have taken their cranky pills lately. If they are not beating on someone their day is not complete :D. I think it would do some good for folks to get out from behind their computer and get some fresh air. It is summer after all. There will always be people that are experts on everything from pineapple to the latest haircut. It makes them feel important. Good ahead, report my post.

I was just trying to add a little humor by adding the Speedo reference. It got away from me.

Founded in NSW Australia in 1914, the company has not been without controversy: "1932 At the Los Angeles Olympic Games, Australian Claire Dennis took gold in the 200m breaststroke, but caused controversy in her Speedo*swimsuit that "showed too much shoulder".

Yep. Too much shoulder.

And it was all downhill from there----so to speak. :D

The great circle has been closed. Civil, humorous, only slightly off-topic to somewhat snarky, comments with questionable meaning, and WAY off-topic back to civil, humorous and on-topic. It's not often it only takes two days to get there. :):):)

Dennis

Yep. Too much shoulder.

https://speedo.com.au/page/history

Oh my! Now that is funny..:D Love your humor!

I see no problem with having a drink, or a few, while in a hot tub. What I do care about is what happens to that drink when it passes thru the kidneys and the soaker stays in the tub!!! Spilling the drink is one thing but passing it is another.

I see no problem with having a drink, or a few, while in a hot tub. What I do care about is what happens to that drink when it passes thru the kidneys and the soaker stays in the tub!!! Spilling the drink is one thing but passing it is another.

Finally, a kindred drinker in the hot tub. :) Fortunately, there are outdoor restrooms immediately behind the hot tubs on Maasdam. (Opposite Dive-In). Most cruise ships seem to have them. Very handy.

I'm wondering if it is a newer policy of Hal. While in the hot tub on Statendam this past May we were also informed by a bartender we shouldn't have drinks in the hot tub area. I had a plastic coffee mug w/lid. (maybe coffee, maybe not.) My son had a beer with a screw top. We explained that nowhere on the sign did it state no alcohol in hot tub and we had seen others with drinks such a pina colada in hot tub. After that we just let the bartenders do their job of informing us and kept our beverages on the wood around the hot tub and not on upper side of hot tub. At least the hot tubs had jets.

While on Grand Princess past January the hot tubs had almost no jets and the one that worked very little would suck any skin nearby into it when stopping. Dangerous. It would run very short time and have to be turned back on.

Pool staff tried to tell us it was U.S. health regulations saying more healthy without jets.

I think there just trying to take all the fun out of hot tubs.

Nothing better after a long day of walking. Or a sore back. My usual spot most late afternoons.

I'm wondering if it is a newer policy of Hal. While in the hot tub on Statendam this past May we were also informed by a bartender we shouldn't have drinks in the hot tub area. I had a plastic coffee mug w/lid. (maybe coffee, maybe not.) My son had a beer with a screw top. We explained that nowhere on the sign did it state no alcohol in hot tub and we had seen others with drinks such a pina colada in hot tub. After that we just let the bartenders do their job of informing us and kept our beverages on the wood around the hot tub and not on upper side of hot tub. At least the hot tubs had jets.

While on Grand Princess past January the hot tubs had almost no jets and the one that worked very little would suck any skin nearby into it when stopping. Dangerous. It would run very short time and have to be turned back on.

Pool staff tried to tell us it was U.S. health regulations saying more healthy without jets.

I think there just trying to take all the fun out of hot tubs.

Nothing better after a long day of walking. Or a sore back. My usual spot most late afternoons.

Thanks for sharing. :-) I was on Crown Princess last February with my dad and I was surprised by two things: Princess hot tubs are much smaller than those on Norwegian ships, and they were always cold. Despite repeated complaints from countless bathers (most drinking), no one ever turned up the temperature. I was super annoyed by that.

Kicking back in the hot tub on a cruise ship is my favorite place in the world. I will sail with the lines that facilitate that experience.

Thanks for sharing. :-) I was on Crown Princess last February with my dad and I was surprised by two things: Princess hot tubs are much smaller than those on Norwegian ships, and they were always cold. Despite repeated complaints from countless bathers (most drinking), no one ever turned up the temperature. I was super annoyed by that.

Kicking back in the hot tub on a cruise ship is my favorite place in the world. I will sail with the lines that facilitate that experience.

I know I'll regret this then minute I hit the post button, but isn't that like a cold seltzer bath? Do you need a warm drink? (Insert Hot Toddy joke here.)