Advice on our next Alaskan cruise???

Di13

We have have recently returned from an amazing cruise in Alaska, I personally think this is the best place on earth, scenery and wildlife just breathtaking. We visited Ketchikan, Tracey arm fjord, Juneau and skagway, we are looking to book our next cruise for 2016 and was just wondering where anyone would recommend we must see in Alaska next please. Have heard so many good reports about denali, Anchorage, sikta etc we just don't know where to book, any advice to help us decide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would post on the Alaska Board.

Yes, there is so much to see by doing a Northbound or Southbound trip and spending time on land in Alaska.

Also, revisiting ports allows a lot of opportunity to see things you didn't see the first time around.

We've seen Glacier Bay many times and never tire of it.

We love Alaska and I am glad you did too.

Another fascinating place to sail is South America and off Antarctica. It is very unique and special too.

Keith

We have have recently returned from an amazing cruise in Alaska, I personally think this is the best place on earth, scenery and wildlife just breathtaking. We visited Ketchikan, Tracey arm fjord, Juneau and skagway, we are looking to book our next cruise for 2016 and was just wondering where anyone would recommend we must see in Alaska next please. Have heard so many good reports about denali, Anchorage, sikta etc we just don't know where to book, any advice to help us decide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Di,

I always recommend taking two separate cruises (Northbound and Southbound) with some time to explore mainland Alaska.

We've done this before and recommend taking one ship (Princess/HAL) north bound to Alaska, spend some time on the "mainland" area, and take a different ship southbound (Celebrity). You will get some different ports, like Glacier Bay on Princess/HAL and Hubbard Glacier on Celebrity. (I prefer Hubbard for a couple of reasons)

Actually is very cost effective as you need only R/T air to Vancouver and no "open jaw" flight from or to Anchorage.

Example:

ITINERARY Pacific Princess this summer

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon Aug 10 Vancouver, BC, Canada 4:00pm

Tue Aug 11 At Sea

Wed Aug 12 Ketchikan, AK 7:00am 2:00pm

Thu Aug 13 Juneau, AK 8:00am 9:00pm

Fri Aug 14 Skagway, AK 7:00am 8:30pm

Sat Aug 15 Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising)

Sun Aug 16 College Fjord, AK (Cruising)

Mon Aug 17 Anchorage (Whittier), AK 12:30am

ITINERARY Celebrity Millennium

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Fri Aug 21 Anchorage (Seward), AK 8:00pm

Sat Aug 22 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising) 2:00pm 6:00pm

Sun Aug 23 Juneau, AK 9:00am 9:00pm

Mon Aug 24 Skagway, AK 7:00am 8:30pm

Tue Aug 25 Icy Strait Point, AK 7:00am 4:00pm

Wed Aug 26 Ketchikan, AK 9:00am 6:00pm

Thu Aug 27 Inside Passage (Cruising)

Fri Aug 28 Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:00am

Gives you four nights to kick around the Kenai and Anchorage. We rented a car and stayed in a Princess Lodge. You will arrive in Whittier and leave out of Seward (not that far apart).

We did 23 days total, with overnights in Vancouver, for less than a 12 day Land/Sea package.

Just a thought,

Kel:)

I would suggest going to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. Tracy Arm is lovely, but seeing the much larger glaciers calving is spectacular.

Cruise to Hubbard Glacier on Oceania's small ship Regatta and get "up close and personal" with a calving glacier. Take a ride on an old dehavilland sea plane. For everything else "Alaska" (I.e., mountains, bears, salmon, ocean, forests, whales, gold panning, etc., head to Northern California instead.