Lactose Free Ice Cream On Board?

GreySkies

Do the pills work well? I always think about buying them just for when I drink tea / coffee out. You can't find lactose free skim milk when your out.

The pills work. I doubt you would need it for the little milk in coffee. I rarely used them since I rarely drink milk. When I started using a diet drink I quickly decided to buy them. The generic works fine but I will buy whatever is cheaper.

Do the pills work well? I always think about buying them just for when I drink tea / coffee out. You can't find lactose free skim milk when your out.

Yes, these tablets work very well especially the Lactaid brand. We don't need it if we are just drinking coffee since the cream/milk added to it is so minute unless you use lots of it. We definitely need it when we are drinking regular milk or eating ice cream on cruise ships or traveling outside US.

Ice cream is the one thing that the pills don't work with for me. I've heard from others this is the same issue for them. I have since sworn off any ice cream that isn't lactose free.

As for the pills, I've used the kind from Walgreens, Walmart, Costco, etc. As long as it says "compare to Lactaid Fast-Acting", I don't seem to have any issues.

I don't remember is gelato available in the dining room? If so, that is an option. I know it is available for purchase on many ships.

I'm not sure why you would post this since gelato has lactose, too. According to what I searched online, gelato uses less milk and more cream. Both of these have lactose. :-(

I just want to make sure that people who are new to lactose intolerance are aware of this fact.

We are on Caribbean Princess now. We declared our son's lactose intolerance before we sailed. They have lactose free milk in horizon court if you ask for it. Every night the head waiter brings the next nights menu to us so my son can pick what he wants to eat. They can then prepare his food lactose free for the next evening. He has never asked for ice cream so I cannot help you on that one.

Is the icecream made with milk ,cream, gluten free ?

Unless there are add-ins like cookies, none of the ingredients used in a traditional ice cream such as vanilla and chocolate have gluten.

Basic ingredients:

Milk

Cream

Eggs

Vanilla

Cocoa (if chocolate is the desired flavor)

Sugar

Salt