Lactose Free Ice Cream On Board?

GreySkies

We were on the Star April 2014, 15 day to Hawaii and lactose ice cream was not available. However, the Head waiter had some ice cream made from lactose free milk for me toward the end of the cruise. What a wonderful treat to have apple pie and ice cream one night!

I have not been on a cruise that has lactose free milk. Only almond and soy milk which i cannot have either. So no making of ice cream for me.

They do have awesome sorbet in amazing flavors. I can eat as much of that as i want and not have to worry. You can even ask the head waiter if a certain flavor can be made later on in the cruise. The blueberry, strawberry, cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew and orange are great!

You can declare your lactose intolerance on My Princess. I then get a follow up email asking me to identify my milk substitute preference and lactose free milk is one of the choices. I just did that for my upcoming Ca Coastal cruise in October. I agree with the sorbet, it is always awesome. I'll have to ask for bluberry on my coastal cruise.

Alas, no I have not seen the container, but I'm sure you could ask to see it. I am also very sensitive to lactose and I didn't have any problems while on board, even after a large scoop of lactose free ice cream on my apple pie. I don't use milk in my tea or coffee and don't drink it as a beverage, so milk on cereal is the only time I use milk. And, I don't eat cereal frequently.

Princess was very accomodating and the head waiter helped me choose my dinner selection in the evening for the following day. He was able to provide some entrees with a lactose free version. I've also gotten very good at avoiding dairy products over the years. A friend told me on one of her princess cruises they made a lactose free version of creme brûlée. I wasn't brave enough to try asking for that.

I too have been lucky over all these years of cruising except for our last one. I asked the waiter, not head waiter for no cream and was assured the dish was okay. NOT. I will now make sure that the head waiter knows what is going on so that i have no more problems.

i will also get my lactaid milk for cereal.

THANKS!

Make sure you let Princess know ahead of time that you require lactose free milk so they have it available for you. Also, remind the head waiter on your first dining night that you require lactose free milk. Enjoy your lactose free cruise.

As noted, if they have lactose free milk on board with notice, the kitchen will usually be happy to make a small batch of ice cream. It's not hard to do while making the rest (it's done in batches so they just have to swap out the milk for one and adjust sugar a bit) and they will usually put it in the ice cream maker first to avoid cross contamination.

We were on the Star April 2014, 15 day to Hawaii and lactose ice cream was not available. However, the Head waiter had some ice cream made from lactose free milk for me toward the end of the cruise. What a wonderful treat to have apple pie and ice cream one night!

Sometimes those head waiters are just wonderful!

As far as I could tell, they only ever had regular ice cream. If they had ice cream made out of coconut milk / soy milk / almond milk, I would have been all over that! (I'm vegan). I instead ate the sorbets and they were quite delicious.

I'd love to be able to request ice cream made from other types of plant-based milk, perhaps this could be created in the future! As it sounds...they were able to use lactose free milk to make special ice cream? I wonder if they could create coconut ice cream in the future. That would be amazing. On my next cruise, I'll try to request this and report back! :)

Does anyone know if Princess has lactose free vanilla or chocolate ice cream available on-board? None of the desserts I've had in the past had any type of ice cream with it.

No lactose free anything based on our experience. Best and most convenient way is to take Lactaid tablets when eating or drinking any dairy products. These Lactaid tablets are small and come in convenient individual packet, very easy to carry.

No lactose free anything based on our experience. Best and most convenient way is to take Lactaid tablets when eating or drinking any dairy products. These Lactaid tablets are small and come in convenient individual packet, very easy to carry.

You can cut the price in half by buying the Walmart Equate version. I am also lactose intolerant and needed the tablets when I started taking a diet drink for lunch. I have to lose weight in preparation for my next cruise.:)

You can cut the price in half by buying the Walmart Equate version. I am also lactose intolerant and needed the tablets when I started taking a diet drink for lunch. I have to lose weight in preparation for my next cruise.:)

Yes, we have tried Walmart Equate brand tablet but unfortunately that didn't work for us for some reason. It was much slower acting plus we had to take two Walmart Equate before it would be somewhat effective whereas one Lactaid tablet would do the trick for us quickly.

Yes, we have tried Walmart Equate brand tablet but unfortunately that didn't work for us for some reason. It was much slower acting plus we had to take two Walmart Equate before it would be somewhat effective whereas one Lactaid tablet would do the trick for us quickly.

I just looked at the latest Walmart price and Lactaid was $11.97 for 120 and Equate was $6.98 for 60. Lactaid was cheaper. I noticed that Lactaid has a fast acting one for $11.97 for 60.

Have you used the regular or fast acting?

I don't remember is gelato available in the dining room? If so, that is an option. I know it is available for purchase on many ships.

Regular ice cream (not gelato) is available in the dining rooms on all Princess ships at both lunch and dinner.

I just looked at the latest Walmart price and Lactaid was $11.97 for 120 and Equate was $6.98 for 60. Lactaid was cheaper. I noticed that Lactaid has a fast acting one for $11.97 for 60.

Have you used the regular or fast acting?

Normally we just use Lactaid's "regular" but lately switched to "fast acting" since it was on sale. The "fast acting" works twice as fast as "regular". I think Lactaid "regular" should be good for most people who are lactose intolerant. Lactaid is a great brand especially their lactose free milk and ice cream. We've tried some off brand lactose free milk and it simply doesn't work as well as Lactaid brand.