NCL Pearl and Panama Canal

augiesmom

Has anyone taken the Pearl on the Panama Cruise?

My mom and I went to Alaska on the Jewel last month, and just loved cruising.

My mom has always wanted to see the Panama Canal, and I see that the Pearl makes this trip.

Wondering if this trip is a good one?

DH and I have taken it three times, we like it so much. The first time was on the Pearl. We did it two years later on the Jewel and again, two years later on the Jewel.

Things we particularly like about the full transit Panama Canal cruise:

1. The longer cruise seems more relaxing and less rushed. On the 7-day cruises people seem like they are rushing around to fit everything in.

2. There is a good mix of port days and days at sea allowing for travel to places that are not on the usual routes and relaxing days at sea.

3. Cartagena is a wonderful city and fun to explore.

4. The Canal transit is a fascinating day. What makes it more fascinating is to read The Path Between the Seas before you go. It helps you to appreciate the Modern Wonder of the World that it is.

5. We like going east to west because every few days we gain an hour. :p

If possible, get a balcony cabin so you can see while going through the locks without fighting for a view.

It is a wonderful cruise. I have done it from Miami to LA and from LA to Miami. It is a two week cruise. I am doing a 10 day roundtrip Miami- Miami Partial Panama Cruise on The pearl in November 2016. She will go through one set of locks into Gatun Lake turn around and return back out to Colon, Panama before beginning Her journey back to Miami.

I can not wait for this adventure.

My wife and I did the LA to Miami cruise in 2013. This was one of our most memorable cruises ever. As another poster said, great mix of ports and sea days, and it's 2 weeks long. :)

Don't pass it up if you can do it.

It is a wonderful cruise. I have done it from Miami to LA and from LA to Miami. It is a two week cruise. I am doing a 10 day roundtrip Miami- Miami Partial Panama Cruise on The pearl in November 2016. She will go through one set of locks into Gatun Lake turn around and return back out to Colon, Panama before beginning Her journey back to Miami.

I can not wait for this adventure.

That was 2 weeks each way? Mine was on the Star. 2 weeks from Miami to LA and then 2 more weeks from LA to Miami. FANTASTIC cruise!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

We have done the Panama Canal cruise twice. Once on Princess which was a 10 day count trip from Fort Lauderdale, and the second time was a full transit on the Norwegian Star 15 day from Los Angeles (San Pedro) to Miami. Loved them both. We are now booked on the Pearl in October RT from Miami. Hope to do it again when the new Canal opens in 2016, 2017, or whenever;)

I've just started researching cruises for next year. I'm looking @ the Pearl's 10 day R/T via Miami partial Panama Canal cruise. When our teen travels with us, we can only go away mid-June thru July & during Christmas break. Has anyone sailed ... the itinerary below? In December? With teens? Our family recently returned from a 12 night Mediterranean cruise on the Spirit that had 3 sea days & this itinerary has 5 sea days. Is 5 days @ sea too many for this particular ship, which like the Spirit, doesn't have a lot of "bells & whistles"?

CRUISE PORTS Embark Miami (Florida); Oranjestad (Aruba); Cartagena (Colombia); Panama Canal/Gatun Lake (Panama); Colon (Panama); Puerto Limon (Costa Rica); Disembark Miami (Florida)

The Pearl re-positioning is LA to Miami now? :confused: *sigh*

When I did the fall re-positioning back in 2008 it was a Seattle to Miami cruise. That was a very nice, slow-paced, 3 week (give or take a day) cruise. One of the best ones I have ever taken.

Another vote here for reading A Path Between the Seas, although on the Sun the Panamanian guide was very informative, willing to answer questions. The longer the cruise the less children and the higher average age of the cruisers makes for a more relaxed cruise. Our 19 day one had 10 port stops, and since the first 3 days were sea days from Tampa to Colombia, it was a great balance for us. Since the Sun is now staying on Alaska, west coast and South America cruises, this cruise will not be repeated any time soon. The new locks being operational next year and allowing much larger ships through the canal may be worth waiting for. Getaway like ship through the canal would be quite the cruise.