Venice port how far to sightseeing?

028snowball

We arrive in Venice early morning and our boat leaves at 5pm is the port near any sightseeing? Or how far away would it be and best way to get about the city for a sightseeing tour all help much appreciated

If you're able to walk distances, you can walk off the ship, take a short "people mover train" to a starting point and then explore the city on foot and/or with the aid of the boat-based public transit system. It's a very walkable city. IF you walked, the most common sightseeing sights are about 20-30 minutes walk from the end of the people mover train. However, it is an irregular direction that you either need to follow signs and/or maps to get there -- and, in my opinion, part of the sightseeing. It's a very pleasant walk to get there (and to get lost along the way). It is also safe. Many people will do this.

Alternatively, you can ride the people mover and walk a short distance to catch the public boat system. From there you can ride a boat just about anywhere you would like to go. Many people will do this. The boats (vaporettos) are an integral part of the Venice experience. (i.e. riding up the Grand Canal in a vaporetto is part of sightseeing).

What kind of "tour" are you looking to a accomplish?

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I wasent even sure if the port was anywhere near the city/town we just wanted to have a general look around the square etc and get a feel for the place

Suggest you use Google Earth....it's not hard to find the ship berths and then you can get a perspective on the rest of the island.

Venice is ultimately "walkable", but the vaporettos offer a reasonable alternative to the more distant venues.

When you say "sightseeing" many folks consider all of Venice (as well as Murano, Burano and Lido) as "sightseeing." Given your time constraints we recommend that you just stay on Venice. You can use the vaporettos (which you would access at the Piazale Roma) to access any part of Venice and we would recommend St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge areas as a good starting point. If you like to walk you could either take the vaporetto or the Alilaguna (which docks at the port) to St Marks Square and then later walk through the streets to the Rialto Bridge area. From Rialto you can then catch a vaporetto back to the Piazale Roma (and then take the People Mover to the port) or if you are a real walker you could walk back.

Hank

What are vapareto? And people movers? Are these like water taxis/ buses? Thanks everyone for all your help

Probably good to go over all this since we are sure you are not the only one confused. "Vaporetto"s are the water buses that move around Venice and also link Venice to all of the islands (Murano, Burano, Lido, Torcello, etc) in the Lagoon. The nearest vaporetto pier to the port is located along the Grand Canal in the Piazale Roma. The vaporettos are operated by a company called "ACTV" who also operates some regular land buses that run between the Piazale Roma and various places on the mainland. You can buy a single ticket of various timed tickets for 24.48 or 72 hours. The "People Mover" is a relatively new overhead train that runs from the Piazale Roma to the Port (which is actually on an island) and then further on to a large parking area (of little interest to cruisers). You pay for each journey on the People Mover via automatic vending machines (the cost is a little more then 1 Euro per journey).

We would add that there is also another water bus system called the Alilaguna. They operate fewer routes then the more popular vaporettos, but can be useful for certain routes such as from the Port to St Marks Square, from the airport to Venice, etc. Tickets for the Alilaguna cannot be used on the vaporettos (and vice versa).

Hank

Just to clarify, there is a big difference between a water 'bus' and a water 'taxi' in venice, but the function is identical to what you find on land. Water taxis are private boats and they are very expensive, think about 80 euros from the port to St. Mark's Square.

You can get an Alilaguna boat right at the pier and take it to St. Marks for about 10€ per person. For your purposes that is probably the best bet. Or as Hank says, take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then a vaporetto ride. Numbers 1 and 2 go up and down the Grand Canal, which is very worthwhile. If I were in your shoes, I'd start at St. Mark's and then meander over to Rialto, following the signs high up on the buildings at the corners, maybe grab some lunch along the way, take the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal, then get off at P. Roma and head back to your ship.

You really need to do some research on Venice, I suggest Tom's Port Guide or Veniceforvisitors.com. It is an amazing and very unique city and it would be a shame if you didn't get the most out of your day there.

I encourage you to take the time to do a little sight seeing. I spent three days in Venice pre-cruise in the fall, and it wasn't enough time! If all you do is take the vaporetto (very easy!) along the Grand Canal to St Mark's and back, it's well worth it. I did that several times in my three days there and enjoyed it so much. Venice is a beautiful city, and just wandering the streets was more enjoyable there than any city I've ever visited.

Have a great time!!

Thank you for taking the time to tell me the difference between all the transports :) I will defo be doing my research now thanks everyone

This is that vaporetto ride from Piazzale Roma (where the people mover leaves you) to St Mark's Square. It takes about 35 minutes on No 1 or 45 on No 2 (more stops) All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]DQ8apgEhZBA[/YOUTUBE]

I wasent even sure if the port was anywhere near the city/town we just wanted to have a general look around the square etc and get a feel for the place

We went on Princess and docked right at the edge of all of the major sites in Venice. It was great, had to take a small boat to get on and off of our ship. Very simple, Venice is my favorite port in the World!! Love it!!!