Does the sand at Princess Cays really hurt your feet

cruzenbabe

I have read reviews about Princess Cays. I love the private islands. The only one I've been to so far, is RCCL Cococay.

Just came off Carnival Spirit and I'm planning my next cruise.

It's between RCCL Radiance, Caribbean Princess or the OOsterdam just to visit HAL private island which gets rave reviews.

I've read on numerous occasions how the sand on Princess Cays has shells in it that hurt your feet and you need water shoes to go out in the water. Can someone give me feedback on this.

Yes, there is shells in it but it is still lovely. I have been to RCCL island to and it has shells to, most sand in the Caribean does I think. Except the Pitons I thing. It is made from coral and shells. I got a small cut from a piece of glass from a broken bottle on the RCCL island. Other have had simular thing from almost every private island. The sand can be hot so wear shoes anyway.

I would go anyway.IMO

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal

I have been there 5x and I didn't need wet socks to walk around the beach area - it is very smooth actually. I do wear them in the water just as a precaution but it is not necessary. Sand seemed very smooth to me. Though I think a lot is determined by storms and if the current brings shells up onto the beach area.

My only comparison would be RCCL's Labadee which I found very rocky the one time I was there.

I also hear that Half Moon Cay is very nice.

I dont remember having any problems. Its a lovely stop.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

I was just there on Monday (4/4). The sand was fine, the tender was another story!

Until 4/3 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess 4/3/04

Navigator of the Seas 8/03

Voyager of the Seas 6/01

the sand is fine, but there was one section in the water where water shoes (I never wear them) might have been a good idea (rocks, not shells) - it was all the way to the left of the island as you see it from the ship - the second "bay" from the "pier" - it also happened to be near some good snorkeling. Instead of walking in to shore, I swam and as you got shallower the sand was clear.

Thanks for the replies. If the beach is like Cococay then that's fine. I loved Cococay. From the reviews I was reading it made it seem like the beach was (shelly), if that's what you would call it.

I have one more question.

On Cococay, you can walk out into the water and it's shallow.

Is Princess Cays that way. Me and my son can't swim and being in shallow water eases my mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruzenbabe:

Thanks for the replies. If the beach is like Cococay then that's fine. I loved Cococay. From the reviews I was reading it made it seem like the beach was (shelly), if that's what you would call it.

I have one more question.

On Cococay, you can walk out into the water and it's shallow.

Is Princess Cays that way. Me and my son can't swim and being in shallow water eases my mind.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can walk out so far, but then it get's deep; deep enough if you can't swim don't go out there.

If you decide to leave the Princess area (it's all undeveloped around there, lots of good shelling!), you have to climb over some serious coral which is very painful to walk on. Once you're past the coral, though, it's nice, soft sand.

OK, thanks for clearing it up. I think you guys are saying, the beach is nice, but, there are some rocky areas where you will need water shoes to go into the water.

I just don't like beaches where they are a lot of shells and rocks going into the water. While in Barbados, this past February, I read on these boards Mullins Bay Beach was nice. It was horrible. It was rocky sand going into the water. And it really hurt our feet that we had to put water shoes on.

I've been to Cococay twice, and never needed water shoes to go into the water. I did have them on walking around the island.

Orient Beach in St. Maarten was the most beautiful beach I've been too. Soft powdery sand you sink your toes into. What a beach.

Thank you all for your replies. I have some deciding to do.

I walked all over the place in bare feet and had no problem, in water or out.

With your posted beach experience I don't think this is much of an issue

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Thanks guys, Caribbean Princess, Radiance of the Seas and HAL Oosterdam is the 3 ships I am deciding on.

They all go to their private islands. I love private island stops. They really make our cruises. Seen Cococay twice.

I think we will enjoy the Caribbean Princess and Princess Cays. Just wanted some clarification on shells in the sand I've been reading so much of.

Thanks again for the responses.

We went on Holland America last year, and although it didn't measure up to Princess and other lines I've been on, they absolutely have the prettiest Out Island of any other line we have been on!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

on Caribbean Princess June 5, 2004

Larry

I've been to Half Moon Cay and Cococay. Half moon was incredible. The sand was like baby powder. The water was warm and shallow. The BBQ was great too. Cococay was nice, but the beach definately had more rocks and shells. The water was cold there when I went. I am looking forward to visiting princess cays. The private beach stop has been the highlight of both of my previous cruises.

Sovereign of the Seas 01/03

Zuiderdam 09/03

Caribbean Princess 05/04

Baby powder sand at Half Moon Cay. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm 35 and I know that RCCL, Carnival & Princess is more my speed. But, I really want to visit Half Moon Cay.

If we go on spring break there probably would be a more mixed crowd.

Hhmmmm decisions, decisions.

Thanks guys for the responses.

I would like to hear from anyone especially TORBS about the tenders.. We are taking our grandmother and was wondering if this is a good Idea to take her to shore.. she is not in a wheelchair or anything but just was seeing what we are getting into.. WE leave next week on the golden so a quick reply would be lovely.. thanks icon_smile.gif

CELEBRATING GRAMS 90TH B-DAY! APRIL 17, 2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="april" value=5>

<param name="17" value=7>

<param name="5pm" value=17>

</applet>

SeaBreeze - my mom is visually impaired and has a Seeing Eye dog and has never had any problems getting on the tenders for Princess Cays (we were last on the Golden over Thanksgiving). She has been there about 5x and I have always thought the tender crew goes out of their way to help those who need it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sea Breeze we were on the Grand and there were no tendering issues whatso ever, you have to get up and go to the explorers lounge and get tender tickets for everyone in your party and then go to the tender station when your number is called. The crew will assist your grandmother on and off of the tenders they are very careful.

as far as the CP goes it was their first time they ever tendered, it was their first port. As with anything new you have to work out the Kinks, I will be on her 5/8 and I'm sure those issues will be resolved.

Tom M

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sea Breeze:

I would like to hear from anyone especially TORBS about the tenders.. We are taking our grandmother and was wondering if this is a good Idea to take her to shore.. she is not in a wheelchair or anything but just was seeing what we are getting into.. WE leave next week on the golden so a quick reply would be lovely.. thanks icon_smile.gif

CELEBRATING GRAMS 90TH B-DAY! APRIL 17, 2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="april" value=5>

<param name="17" value=7>

<param name="5pm" value=17>

</applet><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chandris Brittanis & Gallileo

Celebrity Zenith

Carnival Destiny

Dolphin IV,Dolphin Seabreeze Dolphin Oceanbreeze

RCCL Song of Norway & Explorer of the Seas

Grand Princess & Dawn Princes

<FONT color=blue size=4>Caribbean Princess here we come!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

hullamod.gif

<FONT color=blue size=4> UNTIL PURE RELAXATION ON THE ISLAND PRINCESS IN HAWAII!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived