flight after cruise ..can I make it?

StacyB2011

To the OP....Cruise Critic is full of naysayers when it comes to airline flights...they always look at doom and gloom, its like the 1% of issues that may cause a big delay are definitely going to happen on your return. Cruise ships are maybe late 1 or possible 2 cruises a year...thats a 2% chance....your transportation to the airport depends on on-time pickup to stay in business....a pile up on the 45 minute drive to Orlando (miniscule). Do people traveling from home to their local airport allow 4 hours for travel and airport check-in. Don't think so. I wouldn't have any misgivings about booking that flight.

And the other side of the coin is, the yep, I'm so smart, and "well traveled"- I'm in the club that no delay will ever catch me, people, like some of the above claims.

I have had to reschedule to a later flight, when on the way to MCO because of a later disembarkation- AND I am a "1 luggage tag, ready to go. Last year- ran into those massive security lines- and YES I am a TSA pre check- took 45 minutes- I have the LUXURY of nonrev travel, so of no consequence for me, I simply relist online in 1 minute.

Go ahead and totally dismiss the slim possibility. Doesn't matter to me. The whole point is to BE aware of it- and KNOW, what YOU can do to fix it, which many people do not.

And the other side of the coin is, the yep, I'm so smart, and "well traveled"- I'm in the club that no delay will ever catch me, people, like some of the above claims.

I have had to reschedule to a later flight, when on the way to MCO because of a later disembarkation- AND I am a "1 luggage tag, ready to go. Last year- ran into those massive security lines- and YES I am a TSA pre check- took 45 minutes- I have the LUXURY of nonrev travel, so of no consequence for me, I simply relist online in 1 minute.

Go ahead and totally dismiss the slim possibility. Doesn't matter to me. The whole point is to BE aware of it- and KNOW, what YOU can do to fix it, which many people do not.

Sorry you missed your flight....guess all the pre-planing and working around all delay possibilities didn't help you that day.

Sorry you missed your flight....guess all the pre-planing and working around all delay possibilities didn't help you that day.

I KNEW exactly what to do, to make my cruise, and the TIME to do them. ( and have far more resources than the bulk of the sailing public)

Edited by Budget Queen

I KNEW exactly what to do, to make my cruise, and the TIME to do them. ( and have far more resources than the bulk of the sailing public)

I'm confused...I thought you said that the flight you booked you couldn't catch because you were caught unawares by a late disembark even though you plan your flights so that the "probabilities" of this happening to you don't happen. Now you are saying it is OK to book flights as long as you have a contingency plan at hand...like you do because you are smarter, have more resources, etc. than the average Joe. Alrighty then...I bow down to your superior knowledge and resources, but didn't you still miss the flight you originally booked?

I'm confused...I thought you said that the flight you booked you couldn't catch because you were caught unawares by a late disembark even though you plan your flights so that the "probabilities" of this happening to you don't happen. Now you are saying it is OK to book flights as long as you have a contingency plan at hand...like you do because you are smarter, have more resources, etc. than the average Joe. Alrighty then...I bow down to your superior knowledge and resources, but didn't you still miss the flight you originally booked?

I don't BOOK any flights, I fly nonrev. I can try and get ANY flight I want. That is my "resource". I was NOT "unaware" either, that was the reason, I changed my flight listing, on the way there, based on my time, in the Port Canaveral case. I have made 8:15a flights out of Miami as an example.

My POINT, was an example of booking a flight that is a tight time frame- does not always happen.

I don't BOOK any flights, I fly nonrev. I can try and get ANY flight I want. That is my "resource". I was NOT "unaware" either, that was the reason, I changed my flight listing, on the way there, based on my time, in the Port Canaveral case. I have made 8:15a flights out of Miami as an example.

My POINT, was an example of booking a flight that is a tight time frame- does not always happen.

Nonrev....you are still going standby. Many of us book later flights and just ask for standby when we get to the airport or earlier by computer. I always seem to get out early. Especially when leaving LA. When is the last time you actually "booked" a paying round trip flight for a cruise like normal people?

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Nonrev....you are still going standby. Many of us book later flights and just ask for standby when we get to the airport or earlier by computer. I always seem to get out early. Especially when leaving LA. When is the last time you actually "booked" a paying round trip flight for a cruise like normal people?

Stand by question.. I fly Delta mostly. If I am at the airport with a later flight, how do you get on standby and what if have checked luggage?

Stand by question.. I fly Delta mostly. If I am at the airport with a later flight, how do you get on standby and what if have checked luggage?

You can do two things....take your luggage to the ticket sell counter, don't curbside check it. If the flight has seats they will just issue you a new computer ticket and print out a boarding pass. Easy.

If the earlier flight is near capacity just have them check on your luggage on the earlier flight and ask them if you can check at the gate for "no shows". You will still be ticketed for your later flight but your luggage will be flying ahead.

And these are all reasons I only travel with a carry-on case ( did a 14 day cruise with one).

If you curbside check your luggage and you can get an earlier flight you will just have to send someone back to the airport at home to pick up your bags. Once you "check" your bags they are gone, baby, gone.

You can do two things....take your luggage to the ticket sell counter, don't curbside check it. If the flight has seats they will just issue you a new computer ticket and print out a boarding pass. Easy.

If the earlier flight is near capacity just have them check on your luggage on the earlier flight and ask them if you can check at the gate for "no shows". You will still be ticketed for your later flight but your luggage will be flying ahead.

And these are all reasons I only travel with a carry-on case ( did a 14 day cruise with one).

If you curbside check your luggage and you can get an earlier flight you will just have to send someone back to the airport at home to pick up your bags. Once you "check" your bags they are gone, baby, gone.

Thanks!

That's a bit too early. I like the advice of 1P (or later). Too many variables out of your control. And you don't want the flight time to be in the back of your mind the entire cruise. Plus you won't have to rush on the last day.

And yet, no where in that Delta gooblety gook is the practical information provided by SDG

It is quite clear to me.

Do you have any status with Delta? Did you buy more than an economy fare ticket? You are able to stand by for free, if both of the above apply. Economy tickets E fares, can not go stand by. All this is clearly written out.

That "practical information" isn't all that accurate, with Delta.

Keep in mind that Orlando Airport has a shuttle train right after security that takes you to the gates. There will be a check in cutoff of 45 minutes to 1 hour before your flight. If you are running late, the airline may refuse to check you and your luggage in. Check with your airline on the exact check in cut off.

[quote name='Budget Queen']It is quite clear to me.

Do you have any status with Delta? Did you buy more than an economy fare ticket? You are able to stand by for free, if both of the above apply. Economy tickets E fares, can not go stand by. All this is clearly written out.

That "practical information" isn't all that accurate, with Delta.[/QUOTE]Where does Delta address managing luggage, where and when do you ask to go standby..all answered by SDG