Concerned About Port Time Changes

Ilovesailing

Why do you guys think they are shortening the Tortola day by 1 hour? We don't get to Nassau any quicker.

This actually makes sense as far as fuel conservation goes, & they didn't shorten the port time, just shifted it. We sail around in circles between St. Thomas & Tortola for one less hour, & can reduce speed on the way to Nassau by leaving Tortola an hour early.

Yes, that is what my new e-mail confirmation says, also confirmed by 2 phone calls from 2 different NCL departments. This former St Thomas resident is very happy:D

Is it an actual reservation confirmation that you received with the new (well, old time) or just an e-mail from your PCC?

Thanks

If this is true, NCL has two big problems in their hands and I am not sure why one is bigger - IT and PR.

Haven't seen, read or heard anything on our end. Whether it's IT or PR - it's an operational issues, and, a MAJOR image problem - with serious financial and customer service implications. Single word summary - 'incompetence" - and the CEO is going to inform the stockholders what ... :eek: :rolleyes:

Get it fixed, if that's the case, ASAP and address it now. Blowing smoke with "partners" about some king of huge announcement next month is a side show for this money circus, whether it's run by AS under FDR command or what not.

I'll mention that for those on the Dawn to Bermuda, the change from 11 AM arrival to 1 PM is going to make it really hard to do anything that first day, save activities right at the Dockyard. We sailed last year and as it was, the Sunday arrival day was a challenge, since the ferries to St. George don't run on Sundays and the last public buses back to the Dockyard pass by the beaches around 4:30 or 4:45.

I am guessing that in the case of the Dawn and Breakaway, many of the passengers are sailing to see Bermuda, as that is the only port on the itinerary. (I've read the arguments here that the ports are just 'extra' and that some passengers sail for the ships...I'm sure that is true for some Dawn/Breakaway passengers, but again, since Bermuda is the only port on these itineraries, I'm guessing that an interest in Bermuda itself in some detail is a reason passengers selected these particular cruises, perhaps more than on other cruises where you have multiple ports.) Cutting two hours from the day doesn't sound like a lot when you're there for "three" days, but when it's changing from a late morning to an early afternoon arrival on a Sunday, a day when things are fairly quiet anyway on Bermuda, it's almost like a lost day as far as seeing Bermuda. :(

changes to Victoria port time on Jewel 9/12/15 Alaska sailing. called to asked about excursion already booked and how it will be changed. Told to check back in about a week; they'll still working it out.

I sent an email on Sunday to public relations, social media, and the individual mentioned in a post (I can't remember the person's name and I am not on the computer that I sent the email from).

I just received a useless telephone call from the PR Department. They acknowledged my disappointment. I asked the reason for the 2 hour later arrival in Halifax and she did not know and was unable to find out for me. When I asked about the communication failure about notifying cruisers, she apologized and said that it should have been done. I asked if it will be done now and she said she did not know since that would be out of her department.

I thanked her for the call but wanted her relay my further disappointment about the lack of information from the call.

I'll mention that for those on the Dawn to Bermuda, the change from 11 AM arrival to 1 PM is going to make it really hard to do anything that first day, save activities right at the Dockyard. We sailed last year and as it was, the Sunday arrival day was a challenge, since the ferries to St. George don't run on Sundays and the last public buses back to the Dockyard pass by the beaches around 4:30 or 4:45.

I am guessing that in the case of the Dawn and Breakaway, many of the passengers are sailing to see Bermuda, as that is the only port on the itinerary. (I've read the arguments here that the ports are just 'extra' and that some passengers sail for the ships...I'm sure that is true for some Dawn/Breakaway passengers, but again, since Bermuda is the only port on these itineraries, I'm guessing that an interest in Bermuda itself in some detail is a reason passengers selected these particular cruises, perhaps more than on other cruises where you have multiple ports.) Cutting two hours from the day doesn't sound like a lot when you're there for "three" days, but when it's changing from a late morning to an early afternoon arrival on a Sunday, a day when things are fairly quiet anyway on Bermuda, it's almost like a lost day as far as seeing Bermuda. :(

I personally sail to Bermuda to see Bermuda. Cruising is a fairly cost effective way to go there compared to flight+hotel+food, etc. I like being on the ship just fine, but personally the ship is not a destination for me (although I appreciate the differences between a good ship and a bad one). I'm pretty annoyed that the Breakaway's final day in Bermuda has been cut short by 2 hours - that means less time at the beach, or to do whatever else on the final day. It definitely matters to me.

Looking at a lot of the cruise itineraries these days (across most mass market lines), it doesn't really seem like you get a lot of time to do anything at the ports of call themselves. It could just be that the rapid expansion of the cruise industry, the race to build newer and bigger mega ships, etc., came at the expense of long term planning and now there is a scramble to make changes so that these huge capital investments can actually pay for themselves.

I personally sail to Bermuda to see Bermuda. Cruising is a fairly cost effective way to go there compared to flight+hotel+food, etc. I like being on the ship just fine, but personally the ship is not a destination for me (although I appreciate the differences between a good ship and a bad one). I'm pretty annoyed that the Breakaway's final day in Bermuda has been cut short by 2 hours - that means less time at the beach, or to do whatever else on the final day. It definitely matters to me.

Looking at a lot of the cruise itineraries these days (across most mass market lines), it doesn't really seem like you get a lot of time to do anything at the ports of call themselves. It could just be that the rapid expansion of the cruise industry, the race to build newer and bigger mega ships, etc., came at the expense of long term planning and now there is a scramble to make changes so that these huge capital investments can actually pay for themselves.

I agree - I go more for the destination, usually, than the ship. Because of all of this, I have already started planning my St. John USVI air + hotel trip for next year. :cool:

Hi Brittany. Thank you for looking into this on our behalf. I can not give you a precise list of changes but I can offer some of the major routes from what I have read.

Breakaway - Bermuda and southern Caribbean and Bahamas

Pride of America - at least one time in port shortened by 2 hours

Escape - shortened at every port

Dawn - both Bermuda and western Caribbean (from Houston)

Changing itineraries on so many ships, immediately, with no notification is not good business practice. People have tours booked and plans. I found out from a POA passenger who received notification of the change from a privately booked tour company.

Thank you in advance to Cruise Critic for helping us make sense of the changes.

Just an FYI, Dawn does not sail from Houston to the Western Caribbean, she sails from New Orleans and there has been no change to the schedule yet.

My PCC was confused yesterday, which is why he could not give me a definitive answer. He had info that the Tortola times were going to be 7-3 & St Thomas was still 8-6. Of course that is not what the web site said. I also have a follow up confirmation e-mail with the correct port times.

I also had a second call from the PR lady who was very apologetic about the mixup. It's a done deal, with no big changes.

Stuff like this happens when you make mass changes to a database, & it's always on a weekend when the people who can fix it aren't there. I remember losing half of our library catalog one Saturday while I was at the reference desk

Very happy sailing with NCL on their new ship, though the alternative sailing I looked at on Celebrity had some attractive features.

Happy Cruising

Cindy

Again, I hope you're right. But.....I fee if it was a 'mistake' NCL would have been here already to say it was a mistake right a way. Even their FB page....many people have asked and asked within the last few days....still, no reply from NCL saying it was a 'mistake'. They say silence is golden....

but not with NCL! LOL

Harriet

Just checked my email confirmation and I do see where St. Thomas was changed, however I believe according to my confirmaion Nassua was always noon-7 on Escape.

On March 2, 2015 my confirmation on the Escape for January 23, 2016 shows Nassau as being 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. It now has been changed to noon-7 p.m.

Harriet

Yes, a new reservation confirmation

Now that is strange.....

I just checked MyNCL and the times are showing the 'new changed times'.

I just did a 'mock' booking for January 23 and it's showing the 'new changed times.

Tomorrow....I'm going to call my PCC and ask them to send me another confirmation.

Harriet

Now that is strange.....

I just checked MyNCL and the times are showing the 'new changed times'.

I just did a 'mock' booking for January 23 and it's showing the 'new changed times.

Tomorrow....I'm going to call my PCC and ask them to send me another confirmation.

Harriet

Okay, couldn't wait until tomorrow...my PCC just sent me a new confirmation and St. Thomas does say 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

However, when I sign on to MyNCL it still shows the times for St. Thomas to be 7 - 3 p.m.

So does a mock booking...times still show 7-3 p.m

Harriet

So I received a reply to the email I sent public relations on Sunday about the lack of notification. Here is what they responded with:

Thank you for email regarding the itinerary changes for your Bermuda Itinerary coming up this October. We are in the process of sending out letters advising all of our guest of said changes. You should be receiving your notification very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We thank you for being a valued latitude member and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

So while they may or may not have intended to notify people initially, they apparently are going to soon.

Okay, couldn't wait until tomorrow...my PCC just sent me a new confirmation and St. Thomas does say 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

However, when I sign on to MyNCL it still shows the times for St. Thomas to be 7 - 3 p.m.

Harriet

Was to late to edit...

This confirmation is the same exact conformation I received when I booked this cruise months ago. I don't believe either of these confirmations when MyNCL and NCL mock bookings both have a different time of 7-3 pm

So I received a reply to the email I sent public relations on Sunday about the lack of notification. Here is what they responded with:

Thank you for email regarding the itinerary changes for your Bermuda Itinerary coming up this October. We are in the process of sending out letters advising all of our guest of said changes. You should be receiving your notification very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We thank you for being a valued latitude member and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

So while they may or may not have intended to notify people initially, they apparently are going to soon.

Still...never gave a reason why?

Harriet

Harriet

Looks like they still haven't fixed the web site. My poor PC had people calling to cancel or ask questions constantly for the past 2 days & really did a great job digging out accurate info. Those folks on the front lines are really getting hung out to dry by the IT folks. Really, all the changes were bad enough, especially for those past final payment who weren't even notified. To have some of the changes be in error created even more problems, since I spent yesterday trying to line up alternatives. What a mess.

Edited by HarpHarp