Advice for not gaining weight on a cruise

melody hounddog

Not sure how this will go over here but try to not eat late. There is the old saying, "After eight--gain weight." Some people chose late dining and never get out until 10p.m. Unless they are night owls, they are going to bed on a full tummy within 2 hours. That's pretty much a no-no for keeping off the weight. Hubby and I have actually lost weight on 15 day cruises by keeping to a low-carb diet. I find it easier on the ship than at home. Lots more options. Still lots of vegetables and lean meats, mostly fish. During those 15 days we shared 3 desserts.

I'm about to take my first cruise, so I can't offer help on how I avoid gaining weight on cruises, but I will share a trick I learned long ago about dealing with the buffet:

When I go to a buffet, I take one plate and put a little bit of everything I want to try on it. I keep the servings very small so that I can fit everything without piling up a heap of food. Then I eat just that one plate (I never go back for seconds).

Somebody else had the suggestion of resisting items you can get at home (burger, pizza, etc.). I think this is a great idea. Just tell yourself that you can have a hamburger any time, and you don't need one right now.

It can take time to feel full and satisfied. You should try to eat slowly and really enjoy the taste of what you are eating. When you start to feel full, stop eating. I often tell myself that I could eat more, but I wouldn't enjoy it.

Weight gain is very simple: calories in - calories out = weight gain. I've suggested ways to limit the calories in. Walk as much as possible to increase the calories out. Keep this in mind: a 150lb (68Kg) person walking a leisurely 2 MPH (3.2 KPH) on level ground for 1 mile (1.6 Kilometers) will burn about 68 calories. The same person jogging at 5 MPH (8 KPH) on level ground for 1 mile will burn about 110 calories. Unless you are a distance runner, jogging at 5 MPH (8 KPH) is what most people would consider running.

Given the above, when considering eating a slice of pepperoni pizza (about 285 calories) or a hamburger (about 300 calories), is it worth walking for just over 4 miles (2 hours), or running for 2.75 miles (30 minutes), because that is how much exercise it will take to burn off those calories. A can of Coke has 140 calories in it. So, one Coke means walking 2 miles.

I cant remember how many times I've skipped eating something because I think about how many miles it would take to burn off the calories (I'm a half-marathon runner (ok, jogger :))). It often just isn't worth the calories. Life is short; some treats really are worth the exercise, but you have to pick and choose.

Here is one final tip for weight loss (while not on a cruise): It takes about 3,500 calories to gain 1 pound (7,700 calories to gain 1 Kg). If you walk for 45 minutes every day more than you do today (or run for 24 minutes), and you drink 2 less sugared sodas than you do today, you will net 500 calories less per day that your baseline. At that rate, you will lose 1 lb per week (a little less than 1 Kg per 2 weeks). 1 lb per week is a safe rate that most people can sustain.

There was a tip about climbing stairs. A 150 lb (68Kg) person burns around 4 calories climbing one flight of stairs at a leisurely pace. That may not sound like much (actually, it isn't much), but if you climb the stairs for 5 decks, 5 times per day, every day on a 10 day cruise, you will burn around 1000 calories (7 cans of Coke).

Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The food has much more salt than we eat so I usually retain a lot of water on a cruise. One thing that helps me is drinking lots of tea. I don't care for coffee so I have either hot or cold tea with every meal and more at other times.

Also, you can talk to the maitre d' and he will help you decide what items are lower in calories, fat, salt etc.

We walk down the stairs most of time and do a lot of walking every day--our old knees don't do well with walking up stairs. If we gain anything it's usually water weight that disappears quickly once we get home.

Not sure how this will go over here but try to not eat late. There is the old saying, "After eight--gain weight."

That's going to be a problem with the looong lines at ATD. ;) Europeans tend to eat later, and they are no more fat than Americans. (I daresay less fat.) DH never gains on a cruise and always has late dining. I seldom gain myself.

When I was younger, I never used to gain on a cruise. I like to walk, and I would occasionally visit the gym to lift some weights and I have some food allergies, so that all took care of itself.

Now that I'm older, I find I gain weight if I look at something wrong. The one cruise in recent years that I did not gain was when I followed two simple rules: Eat only when hungry, and eat only enough to feel satisfied (not full, lol). Doing this I was able to enjoy my favorites in moderation but not gain weight.

so fry to enjoy things but in moderation

I'm sorry, this struck me so funny! I know it's a typo but on this thread it just made me laugh! :D

But....the rolls are SO good, especially with soft BUTTER!!

Exactly...which is why I don't eat them. They are a temptress though always sighing and waving at me as I pass them around the table....gently calling my name

Basically - they are a yeasty goodness not unlike Crack.

What is this blasphemy? :eek: I told the make-your-own MDR pineapple sundae (with whipped cream) I didn't have to eat it, but it was most insistent and threatened me with everlasting hunger if I didn't. So I did. :D

Or the desert that calls out "You c'aint handle the desert"

Word. When you encounter gangsta food, all bets are off. You do not want to mess with a threatening pineapple sundae, the most dangerous of all ice-cream-based foods. In that case, safety demands that you eat up every last bit; heck, better get extra whipped cream, just in an abundance of caution.

That's going to be a problem with the looong lines at ATD. ;) Europeans tend to eat later, and they are no more fat than Americans. (I daresay less fat.) DH never gains on a cruise and always has late dining. I seldom gain myself.

Yes, Europeans often do eat late but their largest meal is generally in the middle of the day, not at night.

I agree with many of the suggestions given, but the bottom line, unfortunately, for me is the same as when home - will power, moderation and vigilance (and remaining physically active).

On a 72 day cruise a year ago, I gained 2 lbs using the above ideas.

I have found that IMO, most cruise ship desserts look far better than they taste, so I can usually pass them by. (The exception - Ice Cream - that I allow myself every few days.) I also use the approach mentioned by another poster - If I don't like it - don't eat it! While I try to only order things I like, sometimes I am disappointed so I don't eat it. (I hate to waste food - but would rather not waist it if it does not bring me true pleasure when eating it.)

Word. When you encounter gangsta food, all bets are off. You do not want to mess with a threatening pineapple sundae, the most dangerous of all ice-cream-based foods. In that case, safety demands that you eat up every last bit; heck, better get extra whipped cream, just in an abundance of caution.

I think you're missing some important facts. Pineapple is a fruit, and fruit is good for you. That applies to all fruit even if it's just a cherry on top of your sundae. Ice cream is a source of calcium which everyone needs. The whole wheat rolls--especially the yummy ones with all of the seeds and nuts--are a good source of fiber. In other words, all of these are good for you, and you should be eating them.

Everyone says stairs, stairs, stairs but what about passengers who have mobility issues and are not able to do stairs:confused:
If everyone who is able-bodied takes the stairs, it does free up the elevators for those with mobility issues who really need them ;)

I think you're missing some important facts. Pineapple is a fruit, and fruit is good for you. That applies to all fruit even if it's just a cherry on top of your sundae. Ice cream is a source of calcium which everyone needs. The whole wheat rolls--especially the yummy ones with all of the seeds and nuts--are a good source of fiber. In other words, all of these are good for you, and you should be eating them.

Makes perfect sense to me. :D;) Pass the rolls.

Makes very good sense.....bottom line.....everything in moderation;)

My last cruise(s) totaled 28 days. I lost 6 pounds. I have mobility issues and do not walk a lot or take the stairs.

I don't eat breakfast.

At lunch I went to the buffet and usually tried to find some baked or grilled fish combined with a small salad and some fruit.

No snacking the rest of the day

At dinner it was whatever I wanted. Bread, fat, sauces, dessert. I usually ordered multiple appetizers.

I think it was just a matter of having better choices..not intentionally, just chose what I wanted and often times that was healthier.

We cruise 2-4 weeks a year, and I ALWAYS gain weight no matter how much I try not to. I would say I gain about 3-5 pounds in a week. And this is with taking the stairs all the time, never taking a shuttle in any port, and visiting the gym a few times. Who knows how much I would gain if I didn't maintain this level of activity?? :eek:

I strictly diet the rest of the year to maintain my size 4-6...if I didn't I would have to buy a new wardrobe, which is not an option! :o

My philosophy is that I will eat (and eat and eat), drink, and be merry for each and every cruise, and pay the piper when I get home. For me the key is getting right back to proper diet and exercise as soon as I get home, and losing whatever lbs. I added....and repeat after each one. :cool::cool:

Edited by PrincessMelody

Well if you are going to use logic then...okay! Just checking but I'm assuming that since wine is from grapes, my 2 glasses at dinner counts as 2 servings of fruit. Just wanted to check my math.:D

Well if you are going to use logic then...okay! Just checking but I'm assuming that since wine is from grapes, my 2 glasses at dinner counts as 2 servings of fruit. Just wanted to check my math.:D

That's right.

And a hamburger, Meat salad bread must be near on perfect washed down with a glass of red.

Of course!

I don't gain weight on cruises anymore (used to) because we now book cabins in the back of the ship so we have to do ALOT of walking. Since we started doing that, the weight gain has stopped. Also, I don't eat a larger quantity of food than I normally do at home, just get to enjoy the taste of different things than I normally cook.

There are no weight loss secrets- it all comes down to calories.

Unfortunately it's going to take a lot more than taking the stairs and walking some laps on the deck to burn off enough calories to offset overeating. The moderate exercise will make you feel better physically but don't expect it to burn off more calories than a can of coke.

You are kidding yourself if you think you can burn off a serving of ice cream by walking a mile.

Your intake is what make the biggest difference.

Eat a breadstick, not a roll.

Fill up on salads and non-creamy soups for appetizers. If you are tempted by another appetizer, don't eat all of it.

Push the plate away from you before you have finished.

Tea and water instead of juices and sodas

Limit the alcoholic drinks, especially the sugary and fruity ones.

Watch the coffees and tea fusion drinks at the International Cafe. Most are loaded with calories.

Keep the breakfast light and high protein. Save the calories for lunch or dinner.

Not saying to deprive yourself but you've seen the people overeating at every meal and snacking and drinking in between. How can they be surprised by how much weight they gained?

Edited by NeonBud

I have gained from 0-7 pounds on a 7 day cruise. When I gained 7 pounds it was because I ate anything I wanted and didn't do my typical walks on the Promenade deck. When I gained 0-3 it was because I chose 1 meal a day where I decided I could eat whatever I wanted and chose salads, veggies, fish, and fruit the other meals, and did my daily walks around the Promenade deck; as well as took the stairs no matter which deck I was going to.

The science is no different at sea than it is on land. :):):)

My next cruise is coming up and I don't want to pack on the pounds like I did on my last cruise. I know the usual "take the stairs", and "skip the bread bowl, etc. But I am looking for specific dishes in the main dining room that are diet friendly, yet tasty.

I don't have any diet friendly meals, but I just saw a nutritionist and got the following information.

1. Follow the "My Plate" plan. 1/2 is veggies and some fruit, 1/4 is protein, and 1/4 is whole grain (if possible) carbs. You can read about it at Harvard Medical's website link. (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramid-full-story/#healthy-eating-plate)

2. Use the 20 minute rule. Take your first plate of food and eat it over 20 minutes. (Most of us eat much more quickly.) If you finish before the 20 minutes is up, wait to get more food until the 20 minutes lapses. The brain takes 20 minutes to register that it's full.

Hope this helps,

I don't have any diet friendly meals, but I just saw a nutritionist and got the following information.

1. Follow the "My Plate" plan. 1/2 is veggies and some fruit, 1/4 is protein, and 1/4 is whole grain (if possible) carbs. You can read about it at Harvard Medical's website link. (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramid-full-story/#healthy-eating-plate)

2. Use the 20 minute rule. Take your first plate of food and eat it over 20 minutes. (Most of us eat much more quickly.) If you finish before the 20 minutes is up, wait to get more food until the 20 minutes lapses. The brain takes 20 minutes to register that it's full.

Hope this helps,

It does help. Thanks so much!

We moved from the US to Thailand a year ago and have easily dropped weight because the portions are 1/4 the size of servings at restaurants in the US. So when we went on the Diamond for our last cruise in March 2015 and my roast chicken dinner came to the table I was shocked that it was the size of a hole chicken in at home in Thailand!

My husband and I couldn't eat even half of our dinner and we both felt so bad about wasting the food. So we decided we would share our meals. We share an appetizer and order one plate of the main to share. That leaves room for a dessert to either share or each of us will have one.

We did this every night at dinner and our waiters were trying very hard to get us to order more than we wanted because they thought we were not full enough! The only time they tricked us was on sea scallop night when we ordered one plate to share, they put two orders of scallops on one plate! They were delicious and we skipped dessert.

We have decided to do this on future cruises because it worked so well for us. We didn't go to bed feeling like a stuffed turkey!