Brittania dress code

brammers

hi,

can anybody tell me if on the evening casual nights gents/teenagers are allowed to wear smart round neck tshirts? I know polo shirts are allowed. i understand the dark denim and no trainers rule, but just a little unsure on the tshirt rule.

TIA:)

hi,

can anybody tell me if on the evening casual nights gents/teenagers are allowed to wear smart round neck tshirts? I know polo shirts are allowed. i understand the dark denim and no trainers rule, but just a little unsure on the tshirt rule.

Not 100% sure about this one. I do think teenagers would have no problem and I reckon the adults would probably get away with it depending on what the t-shirt was like. You do say smart after all. Matter of interpretation unfortunately. A lot of the attire I saw on a recent Britannia cruise fell well short of the standards for Black Tie and Evening Casual IMO of course. Personally I would go for it.

The same Dress Code applies to all ships smart casual and formal. For me that's shirt with collar and casual trouser / dress suit and bow tie. Call me square but I like to respect my fellow diners and my dinner not "break the mould"

hi,

Could you describe a "smart" T VS. a "stupid" one?

On Azura in April we were behind a family going into the MDR and the Maitre d' asked them to go and change their son's shirt as he needed to have a polo or regular type shirt, when the father questioned whether his son's jeans were ok he was told that they were acceptable. We have seen t-shirts (including a Liverpool shirt) worn on Ventura without any problem in the MDR. I suppose that at the end of the day it depends on the Maitre d' as to whether he will accept t-shirts or not.

Just as I said earlier, it's a subjective view as to what is acceptable. Personally I wouldn't wear a polo shirt either even though it is acceptable.

On the Azura, in the days of Evening Casual, I was told by the Maitre d' that I didn't need to wear a tie. My reply was that he would be better spending his time telling people to dress up on Black Tie nights than dress down on others. There is no comment in the Dress Codes that a shirt must have a collar and I don't get the feeling that the OP is trying to push the limits like some do. To me its the usual confusion as to what is smart. An 18 yo in a tee shirt looks a bit smarter than a 60 yo in a tee shirt. IMO of course.

hi,

P&O Dress Code relates to passengers aged 18 years or older. In this respect any teenager of 13 to 17 years can get away with not wearing a collared shirt and be within the rules due to their age. In my experience teenagers want to look a bit sharp or trendy to impress their opposite gender peers or each other. This may often be at odds to what we might traditionally prefer them to wear. My experience is that when our twelve year old's became teenagers they wanted to be twenty one and wear high heels, heavy eye shadow, bright lip stick and start carrying a "power" handbag on board. Others may find their offspring wanting to wear ripped tiny shorts with the pockets drooping down the leg holes into public view. It is all about being noticed I spoke to them many times but Colin and Nigel do not really listen to me.

Regards John

P&O Dress Code relates to passengers aged 18 years or older. In this respect any teenager of 13 to 17 years can get away with not wearing a collared shirt and be within the rules due to their age. In my experience teenagers want to look a bit sharp or trendy to impress their opposite gender peers or each other. This may often be at odds to what we might traditionally prefer them to wear. My experience is that when our twelve year old's became teenagers they wanted to be twenty one and wear high heels, heavy eye shadow, bright lip stick and start carrying a "power" handbag on board. Others may find their offspring wanting to wear ripped tiny shorts with the pockets drooping down the leg holes into public view. It is all about being noticed I spoke to them many times but Colin and Nigel do not really listen to me.

Regards John

nearly choked on my cornflakes :D:D:D

On similar lines we have a 2yr and worried about shoes! He has a little tux that his grandparents bought him as they want him to look the part and we have got dark navy chinos/jeans for smart casual nights which he will wear with short sleeved shirts. As for shoes he only has trainers! I've bought some £2.50 black canvas slip on shoes to go with his tux, and some navy ones to go with his navy denim, will he be okay in these? They aren't trainers but I was looking for some cheap 'school' shoes for him and they don't go small enough! I'm not wanting to spend £30 on some proper Clarks shoes for him to wear for a week!! Do you think he'll be okay?!

On similar lines we have a 2yr and worried about shoes! He has a little tux that his grandparents bought him as they want him to look the part and we have got dark navy chinos/jeans for smart casual nights which he will wear with short sleeved shirts. As for shoes he only has trainers! I've bought some £2.50 black canvas slip on shoes to go with his tux, and some navy ones to go with his navy denim, will he be okay in these? They aren't trainers but I was looking for some cheap 'school' shoes for him and they don't go small enough! I'm not wanting to spend £30 on some proper Clarks shoes for him to wear for a week!! Do you think he'll be okay?!

There is no need to spend extra cash on special items for toddlers. They just need to be clothed reasonably as the dress codes are do not relate this age group. What you have described as already obtained for him are well above what most other parents will be doing and you should have no worries on this issue.

Regards John

To add to confusion I have attached the Dress Code. Nowhere does it say you need a collared shirt. Sure it may be preferable but not demanded. Unlike football shirts that were mentioned earlier.

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

For a typical two week cruise there are normally ten Evening Casual nights.

Black Tie

Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on board, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and army uniform.

Children

When dining in the informal buffet restaurants children can be casually dressed, if children are going to be with you in the evening in the more formal restaurants and theatre then, even on our Black Tie evenings, children can still dress more casually adopting our Evening Casual dress code, although denim isn’t allowed on these nights.

General

The dress codes apply in the majority of restaurants and bars for passengers aged 18 and over from 6pm. Appropriate attire is essential for entry to the ship’s bars and restaurants, blue or worn denim, sandals, sleeveless tops (for men) and shorts are not permitted in ship's public areas.

Swimsuits are not permitted in the lounges, interior bars, restaurants or reception area. A shirt and suitable footwear is required while indoors and when using the buffet restaurants.

Polo shirts have a collar !

I know polo shirts have a collar but I don't see that a shirt without a collar is excluded. I'm not being awkward, I just think its ambiguous. I wouldn't wear a polo shirt or tee shirt to dinner and I have seen plenty of men wearing polo shirts that looked like they have been gardening in. It comes down to what someone thinks of as smart.

This will probably open up a can of worms but I think the dress code means the minimum allowable not the maximum. Therefore a Polo with a collar is allowed but a T shirt is not.

Now, I would probably agree with that point.

Putting that little word in their description would make all the difference.

General

The dress codes apply in the majority of restaurants and bars for passengers aged 18 and over from 6pm. Appropriate attire is essential for entry to the ship’s bars and restaurants, blue or worn denim, sandals, sleeveless tops (for men) and shorts are not permitted in ship's public areas.

Swimsuits are not permitted in the lounges, interior bars, restaurants or reception area. A shirt and suitable footwear is required while indoors and when using the buffet restaurants.

Ok, now I'm confused :confused: I've got my head round the evening wear but this quote has now made me question what I can wear on the ship (Ventura) during the day!! Does this mean that myself and my partner can't wear shorts on board? What about jeans, are they also not permitted?

Does the sandals only apply to men and not women? (my other half doesn't possess sandals so not an issue for him!) From the wording my understanding is that denim, sandals and sleeveless tops applies to men and not women.

We're off on our first cruise and want to make sure we get it right!

Ok, now I'm confused :confused: I've got my head round the evening wear but this quote has now made me question what I can wear on the ship (Ventura) during the day!! Does this mean that myself and my partner can't wear shorts on board? What about jeans, are they also not permitted?

Does the sandals only apply to men and not women? (my other half doesn't possess sandals so not an issue for him!) From the wording my understanding is that denim, sandals and sleeveless tops applies to men and not women.

Sorry to confuse you. The Dress Code link is :

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

It does also say "During the day you can wear exactly the same as you would on any other holiday – it is the evenings when the dress codes apply".

Brilliant! Thank you dgs1956 for clarifying this for me, I think I just went into panic mode when I read through this thread!

Maybe you can explain it to me now. :) I'm sure you'll have a great time on Ventura. We are on her again on 27 September.

You can wear pretty much what you want during the day, so shorts, t shirts and sandals are fine, even for breakfast/lunch in the MDR. I mostly wore my nice flip flops during the day, without complaint. The dress codes are mostly for after 6, but even then there are places to eat (buffet) and drink, but these are limited. My evening shoes were also sandals, albeit high heels, even on formal nights where they were sparkly :)

There is no need to spend extra cash on special items for toddlers. They just need to be clothed reasonably as the dress codes are do not relate this age group. What you have described as already obtained for him are well above what most other parents will be doing and you should have no worries on this issue.

Regards John

Thanks that's great! He will be in the MDR on formal nights so we wanted to make the effort but really don't want to be buying more shoes! He was just going to wear trousers and a shirt but grandparents wanted him to have a tux like his dad, grandad and uncle! :)