Holding a regular reservation at MDR but dining at Luminae at a later time

bertrande

I'm planning a "progressive dinner" one night with several other friends in RS.

We all hate Qsine anymore, but for deserts. Several love the soufflé at Murano.

So we're meeting for Drinks in my cabin, doing Murano for appetizers, Luminae for main courses and Qsine for dessert, followed by Cellar Masters for Port and late night fun.

We plan to really burn through the Unlimited Specialty Dining perk the higher suites come with!

Too fun!

NCL sells an unlimited specialty restaurant dining package (to anyone, not just full suite pax), and a number of people have commented about having appetizers in one restaurant, entree in another, and yet another for dessert. Not necessarily every night, but a time or two just to mix it up and have some fun.

For what it's worth, we switched from Traditional to Select a few weeks before departure earlier this year on Infinity. Despite the change on our booking, there was still a card in our room on embarkation day notating our traditional dining time and table assignment. We just ignored it and went to Select on nights we weren't booked already booked in Specialty restaurants.

• 1 month later...
Yes, this is a limitation join the X dining reservation system. All Luminae and BLU guests get flagged to Traditional 6pm dining no mater what, but will still dine in their respective (Luminiae for Suites, BLU for Aqua) dining rooms.

Don't worry about it.

Hi - I found this thread when I was looking for information on Luminae and dining times. I'm wondering if you can answer my similar question.

My fiance and I are booked on a TA in April 2016 on a Sky Suite. We made our reservation in December last year, before the suite dining room was in place. Our TA asked for our seating preference and we said late, 6 top.

Does that even apply for Luminiae? I checked our reservation and it still says 8:30 6 top. Are there seating times for Luminiae or is it all essentially select seating?

Just turn up at Luminae when you like and you will be seated. Most of the tables are for two. They usually ask you what time you will be eating in the evening at breakfast of lunchtime, just I think to get an idea on numbers, but you do not need to stick to it.

7.30ish always seemed the busiest on our cruise but I am sure this will change dependent on itineraries.

Enjoy!

I was under the impression that Luminaire was an optional restaurant for Suite passengers just as Blu is for Aqua class passengers. If what the OP is planning is going to be the standard for their cruise then upon embarking , immediately go and see the Maitre 'D at the MDR explain the situation and see what he / she can arrange. They are here to assist and my experience if they can make something work they will. Your arrangements with Luminaire are completely separate and not relevant to the MDR, just as one can eat early in the buffet and late in the MDR and visa versa if that is one's particular bent

"I was under the impression that Luminaire was an optional restaurant for Suite passengers just as Blu is for Aqua class passengers."

This seems to be what several travel agents tell their passengers, from what I have gleaned here on Cruise Critic and from talking to passengers on board. It's not entirely accurate. Luminae is the assigned dining room for Suites, Blu is the assigned dining room for Aqua. Not the optional dining room, as you may have been told.

If you want to eat in the MDR, rather than your assigned dining room, you need to coordinate with the Maitre D, because you do not have a table assignment in the MDR. You shouldn't just show up there and expect to be seated. They usually can make arrangements for you but they do have to work around those who are already assigned to the MDR.

Just turn up at Luminae when you like and you will be seated. Most of the tables are for two. They usually ask you what time you will be eating in the evening at breakfast of lunchtime, just I think to get an idea on numbers, but you do not need to stick to it.

7.30ish always seemed the busiest on our cruise but I am sure this will change dependent on itineraries.

Enjoy!

Perfect - thanks!

I would suggest speaking with the Maitre d' as soon as you board to let him or her know your plans. That way if your in-laws are at a table with others or they've been assigned a table just large enough for them that they can be moved to a table with 2 extra seats.