Ocean Blu GONE?

I refuse to go to ocean blue, it's already the largest up charge on the ship and then if you want to taste two appetizers it's another up charge on top of that? We like to sample lots of stuff on a cruise, this is a bit turn off to me and my husband. I'd be willing to try the counter service lunch items but the dinner isn't gonna happen, I suppose many people echo that feeling.

And that's why they have many different eating establishments on the ship. Some like to go to some and not others. Go where you wish. I happened to love Ocean Blue and went on the Breakaway as well as the Getaway. To each their own :)

Harriet

Somehow every response to the OP has focused on Ocean Blue....what people seemed to have missed is the part about no more Blue Man Group????

Does anyone have a date on this? My boys and I have been wanting to cruise on the Epic, just to see Blue Man Group, sounds like time is running out.

Somehow every response to the OP has focused on Ocean Blue....what people seemed to have missed is the part about no more Blue Man Group????

Does anyone have a date on this? My boys and I have been wanting to cruise on the Epic, just to see Blue Man Group, sounds like time is running out.

I believe BMG is gone now, their contract ended before the repositioning cruise.

Now "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" the musical has taken their place.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I'm pretty sure that ended in March.

I believe BMG is gone now, their contract ended before the repositioning cruise.

Now "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" the musical has taken their place.

BMG ended its contract at the end of March. Adventures of Priscilla QOD premieres, along with Epic's other new shows, on the post-dry dock October 18 sailing from Southampton.

Well, here's our answer: According to CC, Ocean Blue will remain aboard the two -aways. But, the menu will be modified and converted to a la carte pricing. Since there are no more cover charges for restaurants, we will never be able to make a price comparison, but I'm guessing that Ocean Blue will be part of the SDP since there's nothing special about it anymore.

I am really curious about this because we are on Breakaway to Bermuda Oct 4th, celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, we have the UDP, and I was going to book Ocean Blue for our anniversary dinner. When I went online, neither Ocean Blue nor Cirque were available.

The press release about a la carte pricing indicates that, beginning Oct. 3rd, customers will pay per item in Ocean Blue, as opposed to a cover charge. I have not been able to find the new menu or the pricing, and without those, would hesitate to book, even if booking were available.

So am undecided about where to have our anniversary dinner.

Ocean Blue was never a part of the UDP anyway...I know this because I always buy the UDP, AND Ocean Blue has been a favorite of mine all along :D...and I always had to pay for it, above & beyond the package...but I did get 20% off the going price, which was originally $49 and then dropped to $39.

I love the menu & hope they keep, if not all of it, most of it ;).

And happy anniversary!

Well, here's our answer: According to CC, Ocean Blue will remain aboard the two -aways. But, the menu will be modified and converted to a la carte pricing. Since there are no more cover charges for restaurants, we will never be able to make a price comparison, but I'm guessing that Ocean Blue will be part of the SDP since there's nothing special about it anymore.

SDP only includes pay specialty restaurants and gives discounts to a la carte restaurants

or

SDP only includes pay specialty restaurants and there is an upcharge for al la carte restaurants.

I've read both....so not sure which one it is, however, I know that you can't go to an a la carte restaurant with the SDP without paying something!

Harriet

Alright fine - Maybe that's the announcement on August 4th, NCL removing Zakarian and renaming/ reworking Ocean Blue. :confused:

Why would they announce on August 4th, something that they already announced on July 23rd?

?

Here is the story CC posted. It appears Ocean Blue will remain with an expanded menu and a la carte pricing beginning in October:

Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian and Norwegian Cruise Line have parted ways, according to the cruise line's publication, Latitudes Magazine. Zakarian's restaurant, Ocean Blue, debuted onboard Norwegian Breakaway in May 2013, and a second restaurant of the same name appears on Norwegian Getaway. The partnership ended in March 2015. "As we continue to create fresh, new dining concepts and bring exciting, new Broadway entertainment for our guests, it means we are saying goodbye to some great partnerships, such as Blue Man Group, Nickelodeon and Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian," according to the magazine.

Ocean Blue will remain on Breakaway and Getaway but with an expanded menu and a la carte pricing beginning in early October.

Earlier this month, Norwegian announced it was cutting ties with popular onboard presence Nickelodeon, effective fleetwide in January 2016. Blue Man Group has been replaced by musical "Priscilla Queen of the Desert," "Burn the Floor," and the Beatles-inspired Cavern Club onboard Norwegian Epic.

I love Ocean Blue as well as the Raw Bar and glad that both ships will keep the venue.

Tracy

Here is the story CC posted. It appears Ocean Blue will remain with an expanded menu and a la carte pricing beginning in October:

Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian and Norwegian Cruise Line have parted ways, according to the cruise line's publication, Latitudes Magazine. Zakarian's restaurant, Ocean Blue, debuted onboard Norwegian Breakaway in May 2013, and a second restaurant of the same name appears on Norwegian Getaway. The partnership ended in March 2015. "As we continue to create fresh, new dining concepts and bring exciting, new Broadway entertainment for our guests, it means we are saying goodbye to some great partnerships, such as Blue Man Group, Nickelodeon and Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian," according to the magazine.

Ocean Blue will remain on Breakaway and Getaway but with an expanded menu and a la carte pricing beginning in early October.

Earlier this month, Norwegian announced it was cutting ties with popular onboard presence Nickelodeon, effective fleetwide in January 2016. Blue Man Group has been replaced by musical "Priscilla Queen of the Desert," "Burn the Floor," and the Beatles-inspired Cavern Club onboard Norwegian Epic.

I love Ocean Blue as well as the Raw Bar and glad that both ships will keep the venue.

Tracy

This is excellent news, thanks for the confirmation ;). So I can enjoy the "old" one on 9/6 & the "new" one on 10/4 :D.

Why would they announce on August 4th, something that they already announced on July 23rd?

?

You mean announcing something on July 24th - who knows when that Latitudes Magazine update has been there. For all we know that probably was the Aug 4 announcement due to news leak or it something completely different - Who the heck knows right now?

Maybe this ties in with the "rumor" I just read about Gordon Ramsey in negotiations with a major cruise line to partner with them. Maybe it's out with the old and in with the new.

That might be Holland American.....Master Chief will be doing a show or taping on one of their ships....or so I read.

Harriet

That might be Holland American.....Master Chief will be doing a show or taping on one of their ships....or so I read.

Harriet

My bad....that was 2014

2015 is Celebrity - http://chicagomagmile.cruiseholidays.com/celebrity-top-chef-signature-cruise-2015.aspx

2015 Celebrity Top Chef Signature Sailing

7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise with Top Chef activities on Celebrity Reflection, November 14-21, 2015, from Miami, FL.

Harriet

On our previous Breakaway cruise, we did not pay the insane (at that time it was still $50) cover charge, but we did enjoy some items from the waterfront "take out" window. We had the amazing lobster rolls and fried calamari, which were all excellent, and not overpriced.

We are now booked on what will apparently be the "last" cruise before these changes are implemented. I'm curious if the cover charge will be reduced prior to the change? Unfortunately, even with the UDP, you don't get a discount on Ocean Blue, so we won't be dining there, anyhow, but I wonder if the outside window will still be available?

I'm not sure rolling out all these changes back to back to back is such a good idea, people need to get used to new things but all these changes might give some the impression that they don't know what direction they are going in.

Guess we will have to wait and see.....