Increase in port fees

theloo

I happen to be doing a mock booking for my January cruise and noticed that the port fees have increased about $12 pp from when I booked in late March. Is this normal inflation? When would NCL notify me about this, if at all? There's 7 of us going, so that's an extra $84. Not that much, but a lot more than the increase in DSC.

I happen to be doing a mock booking for my January cruise and noticed that the port fees have increased about $12 pp from when I booked in late March. Is this normal inflation? When would NCL notify me about this, if at all? There's 7 of us going, so that's an extra $84. Not that much, but a lot more than the increase in DSC.

Most cruise lines won't charge you that extra unless you modify your booking between now and the time you sail but the way NCL is going they might charge you the extra $12 pp plus charge you a service charge on top of that.(j/k)

Bill

You will be charged the price for your cruise as of the day you made your deposit. Increases in port charges only affect new bookings. I am a little confused as to why you were doing a mock booking if you are already booked? If by any chance you are charged the additional fee you will be notified prior to your final payment. Did you book through NCL or your Travel agent?

Edited by newmexicoNita

You will be charged the price for your cruise as of the day you made your deposit. Increases in port charges only affect new bookings.

That is incorrect, only the fare is guaranteed on the payment of deposit - port fees are separate govermental fees that are not included in the fare and the cruise line has no control over those.

So if a government raises fees, it affects all passengers the same - whether the cruise line will actually charge the difference is a whole another story, but according to the Guest Ticket Contract the guest is fully responsible for all such charges.

I was doing a mock booking to make sure the sailing was still KSF. I was thinking of modifying my booking because of the new August promos. I would only be changing one room, so IF the increased port fees only applies to modified bookings, that would be an increase of $48, plus a fare increase of $70, and a loss of $25 OBC to gain the free gratuities worth $190. Ugh, maybe not worth the effort.

• 10 months later...

Friends and I have been making plans to take a cruise to Alaska next year (May 2017). I am a long time Princess faithful, so I went to their site. An interior room, $749 from Seattle with taxes and port fees of $220! When did the taxes and port fees blow up like that?

A cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco has lower taxes and port fees and has far more ports to stop at.

Friends and I have been making plans to take a cruise to Alaska next year (May 2017). I am a long time Princess faithful, so I went to their site. An interior room, $749 from Seattle with taxes and port fees of $220! When did the taxes and port fees blow up like that?

A cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco has lower taxes and port fees and has far more ports to stop at.

Port fees are at the whim of the specific port so if one port on your cruise has fees that are extremely high, say they have a fee so they can build a new terminal building, the whole fee for that cruise may well be higher than the fees for another cruise that uses more and different ports.

An example for us is flying from Australia to New Zealand (not the same but the idea is similar) when compared to flying from New Zealand to Australia. Australia, especially Sydney, has far higher leaving charges so the fares in one direction are often $100 greater than in the other.

That is incorrect, only the fare is guaranteed on the payment of deposit - port fees are separate govermental fees that are not included in the fare and the cruise line has no control over those.

So if a government raises fees, it affects all passengers the same - whether the cruise line will actually charge the difference is a whole another story, but according to the Guest Ticket Contract the guest is fully responsible for all such charges.

She was correct, your statement is not the way the cruise lines work.

She was correct, your statement is not the way the cruise lines work.

You should try to re-read that year old post, I never said anything about how cruise lines actually work, only how things go legally/contract wise.

Edited by Demonyte