Powered wheelchair first cruise

I am a powered wheelchair user looking to go on a cruise from Southampton to med/Europe. I was wondering:

1. the best cruise lines that cater for powered wheelchairs.

2. Ease of embarking/disembarking.

3. Best ports to call at accessibility wise.

4. Best ways to get accessible transfers at each port

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1. the best cruise lines that cater for powered wheelchairs.

2. Ease of embarking/disembarking.

3. Best ports to call at accessibility wise.

4. Best ways to get accessible transfers at each port

The major cruise lines such as Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, etc. are all fairly equal with on-board accessibility. Stick to newer ships though (those built in the last 10 years ideally).

Embarkation and disembarkation depends upon the port much more than the ship. Keep in mind that in most tender ports you will not be able to leave the ship at all unless you can stand and walk into the tender boat, and have a manual wheelchair to take with you (they will not lift a power chair, nor you in a manual chair).

Barcelona is probably the best in the Med, but again, it depends upon whether or not you must tender. We also found Kusadasi fairly accessible, as well as Naples. The port for Athens is a good way from the sights in Athens, as is Florence (Livorno), and can't speak to available accessible transportation there. Monte Carlo is a tender port. We would also have had to tender in Venice (so my mother did not go ashore there at all). There it depends upon which pier is used.

You are most likely to find accessible transfers on your own (on-line) rather than through the cruise ship. The same goes for excursions. When traveling with my mother, we always took her manual chair and used it for shore trips, as we could manually bump her up over curbs or a step or two, while that would not be possible with her power chair (which we left on the ship).

Monte Carlo is not necessarily a tender port. they have one pier. If you are the only ship there, you will dock. Sometimes one ship will dock, debark passengers, then move out for the second ship to dock. The first ship might then retrieve it's passengers by tender. EM

Larger ships from lines like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity can't dock in Monte Carlo. At least that's been my experience in visiting Monte Carlo three times.

While Kusadasi might be more accessible, I definitely feel that Ephesus, the main reason for stopping in Kusadasi, is not very accessible, even with a scooter, power wheelchair or manual wheelchair. The pathways are rough, broken and very slippery. You start at the top, and a lot of it is downhill, what you must do to reach the pick up point after the tour.

Hi Gaz,

If you are sailing from Southampton, the cruise terminals are really good for power chairs/scooters etc. Lifts are available and when you go to the ship you use a ramp that goes back and forth on itself to get to the embarkation deck so you can travel with others in your party, there are small bumps over thresholds only a few millimetres though, apart from the last one which is an adjustable ramp to accommodate differences in heights to the embarkation deck, there is usually someone there to assist.

Hope this helps

Pete

Most of the big ships there is no problem on board. I am a powered chair user also. Going from Southampton is very easy. I have been on Celebrity, Princess and P and O, of those Celebrity is the worst for meeting wheelchair users needs in the ports of call and P and O by far the best. They have special adapted tours at some ports and on our recent cruise with them accessible shuttle buses at all ports. On both the other 2 lines I had to stay on the ship at some ports. I would advise you to take a folding wheelchair as well if you plan on visiting places where a tender is used to disembark. Personally after my experiences I would only consider P and O as they abide by British disability legislation and make the right adjustments. I found the attitude of staff much better as well. I would also advise that you book direct with the cruise line and be very clear about what you need and want. You may have to fill in additional paperwork regarding your needs at ports of call. But make sure you ask about accessible tours. Most main ports, for example for Athens, there are hop on hop off busses, these are usually ramped and wheelchair user often goes free

I'll just say I had my first cruise 2 years ago, another last year and am missing this year but have a 21 day Panama cruise in March 2016.

I'm in a power chair full-time and my first 2 cruises went really good both Princess. My next will be on HAL.

I felt they were good to me, my chair... cruising is fun. Best wishes, good luck and have some fun.

Edited by GoneJohnson

Hi. Last year I accompanied a lady in a power wheelchair as her carer on Adventure of the Sea. The ship was great, plenty of room in cabin for chair and good sized bathroom. Nice was a tender port so she said aboard. Malaga, Cartagena, Barcelona, palma and vigo we just asked for accessible tour at port, if one was not there they rang and sent one out. As there was 4 of us it was quite cheap and usually did 2 to 3 hour tour and was able to stop for photographs. I have just got back from Celebrity Eclipse as someone s carer and found that there was a lack of information. The cabin was good except the floor was not level which made hoisting more difficult. Any questions please feel free to email me at carriescutt63@gmail.com.