Service Card

cruiser20145

JH recently posted on FB:

"I wanted to tell you about a test we are doing on the Carnival Dream and indeed a few people who have just returned from this superb ship have posted about this already so I thought it best to clarify what is happening.

When the state room steward introduces themselves to the guest on embarkation day they present the guest with a “Service Menu card “ This guests are kindly asked to complete the card and simply check off the items they wish to have included in the service during the cruise.

The menu card includes:

Morning service

Evening turn down service

Ice request

Bathrobes

Guests check off what they would like and return the card to the state room steward or leave it in the cabin for them when they go to dinner.

This really does help the state room steward and the service he or she provides. Now I have not seen the comparison results yet but I am guessing the majority will ask for morning and evening service but it is surprising that lots of guests across the fleet do have the “snoozing” sign out in the late afternoon and through the night and therefore obviously do not want the turndown service.

The towel animals are automatic and as normal will be given each evening for those guests who request turndown service. Let’s see how this goes. As I said it is only on the Carnival Dream for now and the beards will monitor the results.

The two immediate positives are that guests who do not want to be disturbed in the mornings or evenings won’t be and the state room stewards will be able to concentrate on the cabins that have requested the service"

My problem with this is, what happens if you a have a bad cabin steward, who does not come around? Do you get all services? Do you get none? and also, how will the cabin steward keep track of which card goes to which cabin?

Edited by cruiser20145

The card should have a place for the cabin #, so I don't see a problem with them keeping track of the right cabin. I have no problem with this idea. I'm sure many will. I just hope it's not more stress on the stewards. Maybe it will be less. This is a change I can't get with. Let's see how it goes.

I think it would be easier on the cabin steward to do the traditional way. The only reason is that even though they may have the cabin #, they are going to have to figure out "OK, cabin # wants this, this, and this, while cabin # wants this and this." That will be harder than just going into a cabin, doing the same thing, and leaving every time. The cabin steward still has to come to the room to pick up the card. That is what I have a problem with above all. Not all cabin stewards introduce themselves until later in the cruise. So what services do you get then?

Yeah that's why I said I hope it doesn't make it harder on the stewards. And I have not met one or two in the past myself, but maybe my husband did. One of us has always met them in other words. Doing everything the same across the board I would think is easier. But maybe they asked for this. Who knows.

I like the idea. I'm not someone who needs a lot of pampering; morning service and the Fun Times slipped under my door or put in my mailbox in the evening is fine with me. The extra few minutes the steward and his/her helpers don't spend on my cabin can either be spent on cabins with extra needs or used as extra free time.

P.S. I don't necessarily think a steward that doesn't show up is "bad". As long as the cabin is clean and I can get my other needs met - through him/her or elsewhere - then I don't need to see much of them.

I've been very fortunate in my room stewards and have found them all very helpful and very good. I have always searched out my stewards on boarding day and introduce myself and my cabin mate and then discuss with them our routines and our requests. And they don't seem to forget, ever. In fact I am always amazed that they always greet us by name when they see us and check to make sure everything is right.

Guess the "service menu card" is a nice reminder for the stewards but I don't think it is a "great" idea. Good stewards don't need it, bad stewards will just use it as a crutch.

I think it would be easier on the cabin steward to do the traditional way. The only reason is that even though they may have the cabin #, they are going to have to figure out "OK, cabin # wants this, this, and this, while cabin # wants this and this." That will be harder than just going into a cabin, doing the same thing, and leaving every time. The cabin steward still has to come to the room to pick up the card. That is what I have a problem with above all. Not all cabin stewards introduce themselves until later in the cruise. So what services do you get then?

THe first day of your cruise-- your steward is getting cabins ready and moving luggage. Cabin stewards are off from 1pm-5pm

I agree that this seems to be more work for a steward. and God Forbid if he misses one particualar check mark

On my first carnival cruise back in 2009, the steward introduces himself and i had to sign some kind of form. Since then, that has never happen when i was on the Glory in 2010 or the Splendor in 2013/2014

Having preferences written out on a card instead of having people just tell them verbally makes a lot of sense to me! It is easier to keep track of these things when written down.

We don't want a lot of service during the cruise and don't want the steward in our cabin very much.

We get clean towels and extra toilet paper as needed but for a week's cruise we usually only have them change sheets and clean once.

We don't change sheets every day at home and don't need it done for us on vacation so we explain that the first day . This way everything will be written down so noone will forget.

I think it is a good idea. My last cruise I had a collapsible cooler and asked the steward to please fill with ice which he did however he did not leave an ice bucket. I asked why and he said they only leave on request. Having a list would improve service as you can write in what you want and prevent any confusion. Actually, a better idea qoould be to fill this out prior to boarding so everything can be waiting and the list would be in the system and printable for the steward. Also the should add this to the TV app so it can be communicated in real time. Like clean room after 9am or let steward know times you are not to be disturbed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I think it is a good idea. My last cruise I had a collapsible cooler and asked the steward to please fill with ice which he did however he did not leave an ice bucket. I asked why and he said they only leave on request. Having a list would improve service as you can write in what you want and prevent any confusion. Actually, a better idea qoould be to fill this out prior to boarding so everything can be waiting and the list would be in the system and printable for the steward. Also the should add this to the TV app so it can be communicated in real time. Like clean room after 9am or let steward know times you are not to be disturbed.

I really like this idea, would work like a well- oiled machine as well!

Won't be harder on the stewards. They will take the cards and make a check list sheet for their cabins on what each preferences are. I think they need to make another choice or 2.. like one for extra towels.. or maybe just a miscellaneous line for things like "keep my cooler on ice" or "wants extra Fun Times" etc..

Overall if the stewards get a guests permission to skip the morning service or something.. that frees them up from some of the work they need to do now...

I don't have a clue prior to boarding what I may be doing day to day. I think the door signs are more than adequate, a conversation with the steward is a good thing, and if I want something special and I can't find him/her I just leave a note somewhere conspicuous in my room. I like personal interaction and find the thought of communicating electronically a little degrading. I think stewards have better things to do then check an app a hundred times a day.

I don't really like the idea. To me this is just another reduction of traditional cabin service. I hope it doesn't lead to the elimination of services just because only a few are choosing that option.

That's how they did away with the Fun Farewell party. Quit advertising it then eliminated it due to "poor attendance"

It has been several years since a stateroom steward introduced him or herself on embarkation day. I think they are too busy hauling luggage. I have no problem with the card idea, I just think it would work better if the cards were left on the desk, and they could then be picked up when the room is made up on the first night.

The thing is it's asking the passenger to commit for the entire cruise. At least that what it sounds like to me. In the rare occasion that we don't want our cabin serviced we find our steward and let them know or simply put a snoozing tag on the door. The robes are obvious we never touch them so it's easy for them to see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i like this idea personally. I never care, after I get up, that the steward makes my bed for the day, I could careless. bathrobes, we never use them and just taking up space in the closet, I never use ice in my room either. I do like the turn down service, but that's about it

This sounds like a good idea to me. Some people don't want to be disturbed, so they can check that they don't want service. I personally will keep both services as well as ice. No need for the bath robes though.

Carnival doesn't offer a "no service" option and instructs stewards to enter each cabin once a day for guest welfare purposes.

I'd like the service card to include "change bed linens at least once during a 7 day cruise." I know they say they change the sheets once on a 7 day but they often don't.

Edited by sanmarcosman

I have seen many of the cabin stewards checking a list that they have on their cart before they enter a cabin. My guess is that when they find out your preferences they add them to the list so that they know what you want or don't want. Anybody doing that kind of job knows enough to keep a list rather than trying to remember the specific wants of every guest they serve. The card is probably more to remind the passengers of what they can have done for them and what they can tell the steward not to do. Makes good sense to me.