Bringing minor nephew without father listed on bc

danielle2934

Even when we babysit the grandkids for a few days at home their parents leave us a notarized letter authorizing us to get medical treatment for them. It has come in handy on several occasions.

Lizard howson, you are lucky. We have seen a family denied entry into Mexico because they did not have the notarized letter from the parents giving the child permission to travel with his Mom and StepDad. We have also seen some people denied boarding at the gate because of the same issue. Hysterics all around!

This is what Carnival says on the subject of traveling with minors.

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Carnival says nothing about those children actually related to their traveling companions.

When entering a port, whether in Mexico, the Caribbean, or even Canada no one from the port checks the status of any cruiser...and when you get back on the ship you only need your sign and sail card.

A medical authorization is a very good idea because it protects those with minor traveling companions from litigation after the fact....I can't see anyone denying medical services to anyone who actually needs it.

Yeah, I know all of that and I know that paper is not needed, but everytime someone always jumps in that they have seen people turned away, as you can see the above poster has seen it with her own eyes more than once, so I would just like to hear more.

My wife and I have taken her son, my step son, on 10 cruises and at least 10 land based trips to other countries including Mexico a few times. He has a different last name than us. We have always gotten a notarized letter from his father. We have never been asked for it. We started traveling together when he was 5 years old and he is now 16. We will continue to get one because it is easy for us, but I doubt anyone will ever ask for it, you just never know!

Edited by denrusk

For such an important matter why wouldn't you CALL CARNIVAL DIRECTLY and get the answer?? I would also request that they send the information to me in an email that I can print out and have with me just in case. And I'd do that twice to make sure I get the same answer from both representatives.

Yeah, I know all of that and I know that paper is not needed, but everytime someone always jumps in that they have seen people turned away, as you can see the above poster has seen it with her own eyes more than once, so I would just like to hear more.

YOU DO NOT NEED A SIGNED RELEASE. If it was required than every child who has a different surname from the individual they are traveling with would have to present it to Carnival and that would be a heck of a lot of kids. As long as someone has proper ID for the child in the form of a certified birth certificate and/or a passport that is all that is required.

The service reps at the call center don't have any more information than this.

YOU DO NOT NEED A SIGNED RELEASE. If it was required than every child who has a different surname from the individual they are traveling with would have to present it to Carnival and that would be a heck of a lot of kids. As long as someone has proper ID for the child in the form of a certified birth certificate and/or a passport that is all that is required.

The service reps at the call center don't have any more information than this.

I KNOW that, but my point is why do people still jump on these threads and claim they have seen people being denied boarding as in the person I quoted did, who claims to have seen it with her own eyes happen several times.

I KNOW that, but my point is why do people still jump on these threads and claim they have seen people being denied boarding as in the person I quoted did, who claims to have seen it with her own eyes happen several times.

Because people like to stir the pot or they like to feel that what they believe to be true is actually true. I always say that unless someone actually gives factually information that something happened to them on such and such cruise instead of second hand "I saw" I'll treat their reports with total skepticism especially when Carnival faqs says something opposite from what the poster says.

We're taking our granddaughter in two weeks. We had our son and DIL sign and notarize the following---just in case.

19850818459_5c6bf8b373_c.jpg

Could you tell me if you drew up this form or did you write it up yourself? I would love a copy of it to take with me on a cruise with my great grand kids. Is there a link.

Thank You.

Because people like to stir the pot or they like to feel that what they believe to be true is actually true. I always say that unless someone actually gives factually information that something happened to them on such and such cruise instead of second hand "I saw" I'll treat their reports with total skepticism especially when Carnival faqs says something opposite from what the poster says.

But they come on and scare the crap out of people that have a hard time getting "the paper" with their "stories" of people being denied boarding or being denied getting off the boat in Mexico.

Then you have the bunch that say better to have it and not need it than to need it and get denied boarding.

I always wonder how many of those people do not have a passport that is also strongly recommended.

Luckily, in the case of this OP, she has everything she could possibly need but you have to wonder what they would have told her if there had been a father listed.

Could you tell me if you drew up this form or did you write it up yourself? I would love a copy of it to take with me on a cruise with my great grand kids. Is there a link.

Thank You.

There are several similar type documents available online to download/print out.

As stated, Googling will get some results.

We began taking our grandson on trips with just him and us when he was 1 1/2 years old, we go several places each summer, he is now 9 - his Mom (single parent) usually does not go since we enjoy having him all to ourselves. As stated, his last name is different from ours. We have numerous friends who also take their grandkids traveling without the parents.

I agree with those who have posted here that we have never been asked to provide any documentation beyond a passport to enter a country, get on or off a plane, etc. Nor have I heard of any specific problems in a firsthand account from anyone. It is always a generic/general claim that is not backed up by details of the claimed event.

Folks, when you are out, especially when traveling, look around ! You will see lots of grandparents traveling with their grandkids. It is a very common practice. If taking a notarized travel letter makes someone who is a compulsive worry wort feel better, than so be it. But projecting that this is an issue waiting to occur to incorrect.

Edited by lizardhowson

Didn't mean to start drama. I asked because I've read about people having a hard time. I called carnival twice and both times I've gotten two different answers. I have also read articles like this http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/navigator-the-ship-sailed-but-they-didnt/2012/09/20/4d95cf5e-01aa-11e2-b260-32f4a8db9b7e_story.html where carnival sales rep gave wrong info. It's a totally different subject but just the fact that carnival reps may not know all the traveling rules. Also reading forums like this with mixed replies http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=735633 I'm just trying to cover all bases.

Thank you to everyone who has posted helpful info

Didn't mean to start drama. I asked because I've read about people having a hard time. I called carnival twice and both times I've gotten two different answers. I have also read articles like this http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/navigator-the-ship-sailed-but-they-didnt/2012/09/20/4d95cf5e-01aa-11e2-b260-32f4a8db9b7e_story.html where carnival sales rep gave wrong info. It's a totally different subject but just the fact that carnival reps may not know all the traveling rules. Also reading forums like this with mixed replies http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=735633 I'm just trying to cover all bases.

True - Calling Carnival multiple times has been known to result in multiple different responses :)

This is what Carnival says on the subject of traveling with minors.

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Carnival says nothing about those children actually related to their traveling companions.

When entering a port, whether in Mexico, the Caribbean, or even Canada no one from the port checks the status of any cruiser...and when you get back on the ship you only need your sign and sail card.

A medical authorization is a very good idea because it protects those with minor traveling companions from litigation after the fact....I can't see anyone denying medical services to anyone who actually needs it.

I was not trying to stir up trouble. I have seen a family denied boarding several times. First was in Galveston on Royal Caribbean. Grandparents with different last name did not have the letter. The other time was on Carnival Freedom in Fort Lauderdale. An Aunt and Uncle did not have the letter and they could not reach the parents by phone. There was an additional problem because the child's birth certificate was a short form and did not have the names of the child's parents listed.

As for denying medical care - they will in this country. I took my grandson to an Urgent Care Center because he started wheezing and they would not treat him until they got in touch with his parents. Unfortunately, they were in the air and unreachable for hours. I tried taking him to an ER and got the same response - no treatment until they got in touch with his parents.

The next time we kept the kids while they went away the oldest got strep throat, and of course his pediatrician was closed. Thankfully, I had the letter and the Urgent Care Center treated him right away.

I have also witnessed a single Mom and her son denied boarding on Princess in January 2015 for not having a passport for a closed loop cruise out of the Port of Houston. Princess requires it.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

By all means, leave the letter at home and risk the consequences. Better safe than sorry. We always get one when traveling with our grandchildren. We have been asked to see it at Immigration in Galveston returning from a cruise on the Magic in 2013 and the officer questioned our then 6 and 8 year old grandchildren as to who we were.

I have also personally witnessed the people ahead of us in the Cancun airport denied boarding for failure to have the letter from the child's father. It was a Mom and step dad traveling with a 14 year old daughter. And, I have seen people denied boarding on United flights to Mexico for failure to have the letter and failure to have 6 months left on a passport.

If I am spending $$$ on a trip I would make darn sure all my bases were covered.

FYI: If you are planning on sailing NCL - they require the letter and have a form to use.

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM (PDF) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Edited by DebJ14

I was not trying to stir up trouble. I have seen a family denied boarding several times. First was in Galveston on Royal Caribbean. Grandparents with different last name did not have the letter. The other time was on Carnival Freedom in Fort Lauderdale. An Aunt and Uncle did not have the letter and they could not reach the parents by phone. There was an additional problem because the child's birth certificate was a short form and did not have the names of the child's parents listed.

As for denying medical care - they will in this country. I took my grandson to an Urgent Care Center because he started wheezing and they would not treat him until they got in touch with his parents. Unfortunately, they were in the air and unreachable for hours. I tried taking him to an ER and got the same response - no treatment until they got in touch with his parents.

The next time we kept the kids while they went away the oldest got strep throat, and of course his pediatrician was closed. Thankfully, I had the letter and the Urgent Care Center treated him right away.

I have also witnessed a single Mom and her son denied boarding on Princess in January 2015 for not having a passport for a closed loop cruise out of the Port of Houston. Princess requires it.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

By all means, leave the letter at home and risk the consequences. Better safe than sorry. We always get one when traveling with our grandchildren. We have been asked to see it at Immigration in Galveston returning from a cruise on the Magic in 2013 and the officer questioned our then 6 and 8 year old grandchildren as to who we were.

I have also personally witnessed the people ahead of us in the Cancun airport denied boarding for failure to have the letter from the child's father. It was a Mom and step dad traveling with a 14 year old daughter. And, I have seen people denied boarding on United flights to Mexico for failure to have the letter and failure to have 6 months left on a passport.

If I am spending $$$ on a trip I would make darn sure all my bases were covered.

FYI: If you are planning on sailing NCL - they require the letter and have a form to use.

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM (PDF) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Thank you! I'm traveling from far away and would hate to be denied. Carnival had told me that if the father is not listed it would not be a problem but like I said, I've seen other discussions where carnival gave the wrong info. I needed to hear personal experiences to feel comfortable and be prepared

We will be taking our granddaughter next month with out her parents. Her father has custody. We only need a letter from him allowing her to travel with us and a medical form so we can seek treatment if needed. and her Birth Certificate . I am also going to bring custody court order just incase. We do not have a passport yet because she will only be 7 months at the time of travel .

You did not start drama. The person claiming to have seen multiple people being turned away did.

Here is the OFFICIAL word from CPS.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268

The paper is NOT required. But people keep insisting it is and even stating they have personally seen people being denied boarding and in some cases multiple times.

Now as for the post you are talking about, to start off it is from 2008. Also it is from a different cruise line. A cruise line can make anything they want required, but CARNIVAL does not require the letter.

I am just tired of people trying to scare people. In your case, you are fine either way, but not everyone even knows if the missing parent is dead or alive and have no way of getting in touch with that person is any event.

There used to be a person on here that claimed to be an intake person for carnival at one of the ports. She claimed she ALWAYS asked for the letter. Every time she did I asked what happened when the person did not have the letter. Not one time did she reply back with the consequences of not having it. Not once.

So I don't understand people wanting to scare say a single mother for no reason. If the paper was required, it would be required.

The last time this subject came up, there was one woman that said she had the paper and her children were still questioned. Which is the only thing that is going to happen if you do not have the paper that is not required.

Now, if you fly to Mexico, you will not get on the plane with out the letter as it is then required because you are ending your travel in mexico. On a cruise, you are only in transit not ending your travel there.

As you have noticed, the lady making the claim of seeing it happen with her own eyes has not been back to give any details, even though she has been asked several times. If I had seen it, I would have no problem telling what happened.

There used to also be a lady that claimed everytime she got off in Cozumel she was asked for the papers. Again, when asked, who, where, whatever NEVER provided any details. In other words for some reason she was lying.

Nothing scares me, but I know some people are easily scared esp when people keep claiming better safe than sorry.

I say if it makes you feel better and you can get it easily, then do, but if you would have problems, don't worry about it.

One last story because it makes me laugh to this day.

There used to be a lady that posted some of the strangest things but she had taken her children and had a notarized letter from the ex. All was well and she was happy. A while later she decided to take them again, but this time the ex was in jail. She had several worrying weeks trying to figure out how to get the letter signed and finally got his lawyer to take it to jail for her. The ex refused to sign it. She went into a tizzy. She must have called carnival a thousand times. It is the solution they finally gave her that makes me laugh. They told her to just scratch out the date and write the new dates in which is what she did, took the cruise and all is well. So to summarize, she was clearly telling them it was not ok with the ex for her to take the kids and she was fine with altering a previously sign consent to get what she wanted. That is how not needed that letter is.

Her mantra was better to have it, blah blah blah, but did she even have it?

I've searched and found several threads with single parents bringing their child but I was wondering about bringing my nephew who doesn't have a father listed on his birth certificate. I'm assuming it is the same as a single parent but just wanted to make sure.

He has a passport and I'll bring his birth certificate and a notarized letter from my sister. Will I have trouble since he has a different last name as me and only one parents signature? Father has never been around

I have brought a nephew and I never had any trouble. Be sure your letter is notarized if for some reason you miss your ship and have to travel back. As for Carnival no you do not need it. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by rocking-m-cruiser

You did not start drama. The person claiming to have seen multiple people being turned away did.

Here is the OFFICIAL word from CPS.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268

The paper is NOT required. But people keep insisting it is and even stating they have personally seen people being denied boarding and in some cases multiple times.

Now as for the post you are talking about, to start off it is from 2008. Also it is from a different cruise line. A cruise line can make anything they want required, but CARNIVAL does not require the letter.

I am just tired of people trying to scare people. In your case, you are fine either way, but not everyone even knows if the missing parent is dead or alive and have no way of getting in touch with that person is any event.

There used to be a person on here that claimed to be an intake person for carnival at one of the ports. She claimed she ALWAYS asked for the letter. Every time she did I asked what happened when the person did not have the letter. Not one time did she reply back with the consequences of not having it. Not once.

So I don't understand people wanting to scare say a single mother for no reason. If the paper was required, it would be required.

The last time this subject came up, there was one woman that said she had the paper and her children were still questioned. Which is the only thing that is going to happen if you do not have the paper that is not required.

Now, if you fly to Mexico, you will not get on the plane with out the letter as it is then required because you are ending your travel in mexico. On a cruise, you are only in transit not ending your travel there.

As you have noticed, the lady making the claim of seeing it happen with her own eyes has not been back to give any details, even though she has been asked several times. If I had seen it, I would have no problem telling what happened.

There used to also be a lady that claimed everytime she got off in Cozumel she was asked for the papers. Again, when asked, who, where, whatever NEVER provided any details. In other words for some reason she was lying.

Nothing scares me, but I know some people are easily scared esp when people keep claiming better safe than sorry.

I say if it makes you feel better and you can get it easily, then do, but if you would have problems, don't worry about it.

One last story because it makes me laugh to this day.

There used to be a lady that posted some of the strangest things but she had taken her children and had a notarized letter from the ex. All was well and she was happy. A while later she decided to take them again, but this time the ex was in jail. She had several worrying weeks trying to figure out how to get the letter signed and finally got his lawyer to take it to jail for her. The ex refused to sign it. She went into a tizzy. She must have called carnival a thousand times. It is the solution they finally gave her that makes me laugh. They told her to just scratch out the date and write the new dates in which is what she did, took the cruise and all is well. So to summarize, she was clearly telling them it was not ok with the ex for her to take the kids and she was fine with altering a previously sign consent to get what she wanted. That is how not needed that letter is.

Her mantra was better to have it, blah blah blah, but did she even have it?

Reading different post definitely had me worried. I've seen lots of people saying they didn't have any problems but then there are several post about people having all kinds of problems.

Thank you! I appreciate the help

When I took my 16 year old god daughter on back to back cruises, I was asked for the letter on the second cruise which was the one that went to Mexico (Cozumel).

I had the letter and wasn't asked for it at the Canadian border, when we boarded a Buffalo to Orlando flight or for the check in for the first cruise. For the second leg, the check in agent was handing me the sign and sail cards and pulled them back at the last minute and said, "You two have different last names. Do you have a document that allows you to take her out of the country?" Thankfully, I had taken the permission letter.

Do I know that we would have been denied boarding? NO.

Am I very glad that I had the letter? YES.