Just Back from 9-night LOS trip to Bermuda & Caribbean

Very much looking forward to your review. We will be on her for 10 nights in October. Bermuda, San Juan, St Thomas and St Marteen. Did you have all those ports too? Can't wait!

Lauri

Embarkation

This went very smoothly. We arrived at around 10 am and were onboard about 11:15. We explored the ship and went to the Windjammer for lunch. There wasn't a crowd and we were able to grab a bite and easily find a seat.

We did experience a delayed sail away. I've heard several rumors about why we were delayed, but I am not sure what is correct. We actually had dinner at 5:30, so we had to leave the top deck sail away to go do dinner. We left about 6, when we were supposed to leave at 4.

Bermuda

We arrived in Bermuda about 7:30 am on Saturday and we were off the ship by 8:30. We went to Horseshoe Beach using the round-trip van service that runs all day. We purchased tickets for $16 each from the visitor's center, which is a short walk from the end of the pier. You can see it from the street where the taxis all line up.

At the beach, we rented beach chairs, I believe it was around $20 for 2 chairs, but I am not positive. The beach is breathtaking and the water is clear and blue.

All aboard was 3:30.

St. Maarten

St. Maarten was a later arrival, around 12 and off the ship by 1pm. There was a very nice port area and the downtown of Phillipsburg was easy to reach on foot or by water taxi. We took the water taxi to the beach across the water. For $7, you can use the water taxi all day. Once at the beach area, there are many areas where you can rent chairs and umbrellas. We paid $30 for two chairs, an umbrella and 6 drinks-beer, rum cocktail, bottled water, soda, and one other frozen drink. Note that as soon as you exit the water taxi, people will be approaching you to go to their section of the beach to rent your chair. They are not too pushy, but pushy enough. Just say no thank you and they will move on.

We explored the town on foot and there were many different shops to look through. It is a very manageable area on foot.

All aboard was 7:30 pm.

San Juan

This was an early port, arriving shortly after 6am and off the ship at 7:30. We quickly discovered that the forts and stores didn't open until 9 am. We were approached by a tour guide offering an hour long tour with stops for photos for $10 per person. We took the tour and it was very good. We toured both old and new San Juan, and stopped many places for photos. He dropped some folks at one fort, some in town, and others back at the ship. He was very good and it was worth the money.

We toured both forts on our own and wandered the town before returning to the ship at 12:30.

All aboard was 12:30 pm.

Labadee

We arrived at Labadee at about 7:30 and were off the ship around 8am or shortly thereafter. We hopped on the tram to head to the beach and ended up at the Columbus Cove, which was perfect for swimming. We were set up with chairs under a palm tree. No charge for chairs, we just tipped a couple of dollars for the attendant.

The water was calm and clear. We rented mats for the day at $17 and kayaks for $15 for 30 minutes free use (no tour). The next beach was the water park, and we tried that also, although I do not remember the cost. You get a pass for an hour, and an hour is enough as it is tiring climbing in and out of the water onto the various attractions. All these activities are fun.

Bar service was available and seemed plentiful while we were on the beach. Later we left to do a fishing excursion. This was a great thing. The captain was amazing and the trip was awesome. Not only did we catch fish, we were taken to a swimming area by the private island that RC offers excursions to visit. I would highly recommend this if you enjoy fishing or just want to give it a try. Nice people and a really enjoyable afternoon.

All aboard was 3:30 pm.

Debarkation

We did the self carry since we didn't want to wait until 9:30 to head out just sitting around. There was a long line, but it moved quickly. We went to the MDR for breakfast and then to get in line around 8 and were off the ship and in our car at 8:30 at the latest.

MDR

We ate breakfast and dinner every day in the MDR, and had lunch there on a number of days. The food was always good and the service was wonderful. Our wait staff for dinner was beyond amazing. They just made it so special that we wouldn't have considered missing it one night.

Windjammer/Other food venues

We did the Windjammer a few times and it was ok. There didn't seem to be much change in the offerings from day to day, but the items we tried were tasty. We didn't eat here much because either we weren’t hungry at lunchtime or we went to the MDR.

The Café Promenade had a nice variety of sandwiches, all were good. We liked that the sandwiches were smaller so you could just grab a small bit if you were just needing something to tie you over until dinner. Of course, you can have as much as you want, so don't be put off by the small size.

Sorrentos had pizza and some focaccia breads. All were good when you needed a quick bite to stave off hunger.

We also had some Ben and Jerry's, which was delicious, as well as the cupcakes from the bakery. Those cupcakes were very good and were also offered in small and large sizes.

Shows

We went to several shows, all were fun and entertaining. The seating went quickly, but we were always able to find seats after a few minutes of searching. We went to the magic show (very good, hilarious), the Up in the Air show (excellent), the musical impressionist (good, a little over the top at times, but talented and entertaining), and SNF (very good, fun show to watch).

Pools

People did save chairs, but the pool monitors were watching and would help you find a chair. We were able to find chairs each day, although we did have to walk around a bit.

Pool bar service was great, there was always someone around to get you a drink.

On at least two days, paella was made and served by the pool.

Room

We had a balcony room, and we loved it. Our room was always clean and perfect and you just couldn't beat having that view. It is tight the first day, but we quickly adjusted.

Drink package

Only one of us had a package, the Royal Replenish. You were able to get soda, bottled water, frozen virgin drinks, smoothies, specialty coffees, and freshly squeezed juices. There wasn't much that was off limits on this, at least with our experience.

All in all, we had a fantastic time and experienced exceptional service. There wasn't anything that was a let down for us. The ports were amazing and we would like to do it again so that we can explore more.

I will do my best to answer any questions!

He was definitely licensed, he had the badge around his neck. I can't remember his name, but he was at the end of the pier in the typical white passenger van, he is probably mid 40s, brown hair, mustache, I know that is vague. The tour lasts about an hour, $10. We were standing reading our map and he approached us and said let me make this suggestion. I will try to remember his name and post it here. It worked out well because we made good use of the time and got to see the new San Juan, too.

Thanks for the excellent review. Do you still have to take a shuttle bus from check-in to the ship?

No, there is a new terminal at Cape Liberty now. No more shuttle buses.

We were also on the cruise with you and have to agree with every bit of your review. Excellent cruise, beautiful ship, amazing crew and perfect weather as well. Doesn't get much better!

Sorry if you already mentioned this.

We have been to this port many times, but have never done the beach right at the port. So beautiful and convenient - which section did you choose? Oh, and do they have restroom facilities available for you?

Thanks!

We went on the right side of the beach as you came across from the ship. Yes, there were facilities in the bar/restaurant that serviced the chairs.