no perks, lower prices?

bonniboo1

Not really. Prices for my upcoming cruises with perks are less than I paid last year for a cruise with some OBC, but nowhere near the value in perks. I think prices are pretty good and not likely to drop much with or without the perks. Just my 2 cents.

I look at it like a shell game... We paid 30% LESS last year for a GV with no perks then we're paying this year.

But we got all the freebie packages plus a ton of OBC from our TA so at the end of the day it's a wash... It's about the same we paid last year.

Did they state that their goal was to "retrain" customers into paying higher cruise fares and to stop expecting price drops, last-minute sales, etc.? And I am guessing that the current promos are meant to "train" us into needing drinks, specialty dinners, shore excursions, internet packages, etc. so that when they eventually discontinue the promos we will keep paying for those out of our own pocket.

I tend to agree with garnet115: As far as I have seen, fares this year have not gone up across the board enough to offset the value of the promotional perks. So when they drop the perks I don't see prices falling much, either.

You need to book through an Internet TA. We were able to save $300 pp on a balcony with no perks for the Escape sailing 11/14/15. The same cabin was offered by NCL only with the perks (and $300 more pp). All told, we saved $600 on our cabin - DW & I don't eat and drink enough to run the tab up to $600. :)

Edited by Son of a son of a ...

Son of a son of a...

That's great! DW and I recently booked through an Internet travel site. What Internet TA would you recommend? The no perks thing sounds great if you were able to save that much!

Edited by pj7262

You need to book through an Internet TA. We were able to save $300 pp on a balcony with no perks for the Escape sailing 11/14/15. The same cabin was offered by NCL only with the perks (and $300 more pp). All told, we saved $600 on our cabin - DW & I don't eat and drink enough to run the tab up to $600. :)

I saw 14day caribean Oceanview in Jan 2016:

- $1400/person with a perk (udb/ubp/tips paid/etc) and like $175 obc for the cabin,

- $1150/person without a perk but still came with $125 obc for the cabin.

so $500 less per cabin w/o a perk and you still get a little obc from the TA.

this was for a OC category . all other oceanview (ob/oa/o1) did not have an option of no perks.

Edited by fstuff1

DW and I recently booked through an Internet travel site. What Internet TA would you recommend?

It is against Cruise Critic rules to ask or give TA recommendations. Just look around and search different TAs.

I saw 14day caribean Oceanview in Jan 2016:

- $1400/person with a perk (udb/ubp/tips paid/etc) and like $175 obc for the cabin,

- $1150/person without a perk but still came with $125 obc for the cabin.

so $500 less per cabin w/o a perk and you still get a little obc from the TA.

this was for a OC category . all other oceanview (ob/oa/o1) did not have an option of no perks.

That is clearly a group booking for that specific cruise, not a choice that is generally available for all cruises.

We too have been able to benefit from TA's group rate once, were able to get a balcony on Epic cheaper than an oceanview on an older ship - otherwise on that trip we'd have had to go for an inside based on regular prices.

Personally I really like the perks. I wouldn't normally buy a beverage package, definitely wouldn't buy the dining package but having them included in a package priced at a very similar cost as last year is just great.

The cruise industry has been on a race to the bottom in terms of pricing, so I would never push for lower prices.

Just a question. I would prefer lower prices rather than the perks. Do you think that will happen?

To answer OP's question: No, I don't think that it will happen anymore like we're used to. Cruise lines are moving towards including extras in order to get more money from passengers and to attract new clientele (the popularity for cruising as a form of travel is steadily rising and it is easier to get more money from new passengers with these bundles).

Celebrity (whose 1-2-3-Go promo campaign NCL quite clearly copied) did run those promos for quite a long time (just like NCL now), and finally moved to bundle those promos to cruise prices:

Celebrity Cruises Leads Industry with Introduction of "Go Big, Go Better, Go Best"

Just a question. I would prefer lower prices rather than the perks. Do you think that will happen?

Bonni

When you get that people bitch about nickel and diming. The prices on many NCL ships are already lower than other lines, if you consider the ships. No, The Escape isn't going to be lowere than say, RCIs Freedom class, but measuring season and class more than likely you will not beat the price. As for lower and no perks, I do prefer to choose how I want to spend my money but some perks are nice.

It is against Cruise Critic rules to ask or give TA recommendations. Just look around and search different TAs.

That is clearly a group booking for that specific cruise, not a choice that is generally available for all cruises.

We too have been able to benefit from TA's group rate once, were able to get a balcony on Epic cheaper than an oceanview on an older ship - otherwise on that trip we'd have had to go for an inside based on regular prices.

you are right on both counts. this is what we are getting on our Oct Mex Riv sailing. Our agent's company (not an on line one btw, though they are on line) has a block of cabins set aside. We are getting a small OBC, UDP and a gty balc for an upbelievable price,but this, certainly isn't always the case. Yes, they always have a group of cabins set aside, we always save a little but this is the best deal we have every gotten.

Bonni

My guess is no- Del Rio wants to incentivize people to book early so they don't have to cut prices prior to sailing in order to fill the ship.

When you get that people bitch about nickel and diming. The prices on many NCL ships are already lower than other lines, if you consider the ships. No, The Escape isn't going to be lowere than say, RCIs Freedom class, but measuring season and class more than likely you will not beat the price. As for lower and no perks, I do prefer to choose how I want to spend my money but some perks are nice.

I chose the Fascination over the Gem to save $800, ship class means little to me (in fact I have no real interest in sailing on any of the new mega ships regardless of line). My goal is to go to sea and visit ports in that order.:)

I chose the Fascination over the Gem to save $800, ship class means little to me (in fact I have no real interest in sailing on any of the new mega ships regardless of line). My goal is to go to sea and visit ports in that order.:)

Oh, I agree with you. We were on one mega ship(different line) and don't care to repeat. But that isn't my point: my response was simply to explain, when comparing prices, you do have to take all this into comparison. It is like buying a house, you can't say house number one is a better deal if it is older and not been updated, or not in the same neighborhood as house number 2. But for many, house number 1 would still be a better value. I am talking about comparing apples to oranges which some are inclined to do.

If you drink you're probably doing better by booking with NCL and taking the "free" UBP. If you don't drink, you're probably taking a bit of a beating, even with UDP. This is especially true with the current about-to-expire promo, when everybody in Inside or better gets UBP if they want it.

It's hard to make the case that base fares have increased by the cost of UBP (both direct and opportunity cost). Fares ARE up, but I don't think they're up $400 pp for 7 night cruises.

So if you're a drinker, keep booking NCL vs. some other line that doesn't offer a "free" liquor package. If you're not a drinker, you'll want to be a bit more diligent in comparing prices, etc. "Free" UDP is probably not cost-effective -- if you have to pay the 18 percent service charge you're only getting $119 in value and my guess is that fares HAVE risen by that much for a 7 day cruise.

As far as "training passengers," NCL may be training alcohol smugglers to just relax and drink for free with UBP. When/if the promos disappear, how many smugglers will revert to their old habits? Probably not all of them, is my guess.

If you drink you're probably doing better by booking with NCL and taking the "free" UBP. If you don't drink, you're probably taking a bit of a beating, even with UDP. This is especially true with the current about-to-expire promo, when everybody in Inside or better gets UBP if they want it.

It's hard to make the case that base fares have increased by the cost of UBP (both direct and opportunity cost). Fares ARE up, but I don't think they're up $400 pp for 7 night cruises.

So if you're a drinker, keep booking NCL vs. some other line that doesn't offer a "free" liquor package. If you're not a drinker, you'll want to be a bit more diligent in comparing prices, etc. "Free" UDP is probably not cost-effective -- if you have to pay the 18 percent service charge you're only getting $119 in value and my guess is that fares HAVE risen by that much for a 7 day cruise.

As far as "training passengers," NCL may be training alcohol smugglers to just relax and drink for free with UBP. When/if the promos disappear, how many smugglers will revert to their old habits? Probably not all of them, is my guess.

yeah, I think we're paying for the 'free' UDP.

win/win for ncl.

- they get the same amount of $ from those that buy udp anyway

- they get ~$119 more from those that dont

I think having more choices on the pricing model is fantastic... While some people prefer to only pay for the fare, taxes and fees and DSC, others like the idea that more items can be paid for up front thereby reducing or eliminating a final bill at the end of the cruise.

Our upcoming cruise, I do not expect to have much of a bill at all when we disembark, and the total price is not really any more than the last time we cruised in a two bedroom suite with 4 adults. Doing that again this year, the difference is now that we get specialty restaurant meals and the beverage package and OBC so we really make out much better as far as our bill at the end of the cruise. Add in pre-payment of the DSC, and our little tab should be miniscule on the final day!

what I would like to see is last minute sale pricing w/o any perks.

that way those of us who don't want/need any of the perks also win.

unfortunately, that wont happen anytime soon.

both of my cruises this summer have sailed at capacity. all rooms sold out.

both of my cruises this summer have sailed at capacity. all rooms sold out.

That in itself is not a good indication, because almost all cruises end up sailing at capacity (or above capacity). The question is how far in advance the cruise sells out, and it is not unusual for summer cruises to sell well enough so that no last minute sales are necessary.

The test will be the fall TAs, and cruises in the dead season before and after Christmas. They have typically been unable to fill those ships without resorting to last minute fire sales, and it will be interesting to see if they manage to avoid that this year.