My Watertube Slide Experience on the Getaway

This is a little diddy about my water tube slide ride I attempted on our recent cruise onboard the NCL Getaway. I'm mid 50's and fit.

This was our second cruise this year on the Getaway. They have two huge tube slides with running water that are "thrill rides" on the top deck of the ship. On the at sea days the lines are very long mostly with anxious children at least 48" tall. I did not attempt this on the first cruise although I was tempted.

This time around I was determined to give the scariest one a try- you get in the tube and the floor you are standing on disappears and you drop quite dramatically almost straight down, rise over a vertical hump off of the bottom and then explode down again into a collection pool. I decided that the first port day in St. Thomas would be the best time to go for it. Most of the passengers would already be off the boat and the lines would be minimal.

I coaxed my wife to take pics of me getting in the tube from below and to wait at the bottom to grab footage of my certain dramatic ending.

As luck would have it I was correct in my timing. There was only me and a rather obese middle aged lady behind me in the line, we both zigzagged up the stairs to the top. I had elected to wear a tanktop with my bathing suit which proved to be a huge mistake...

When I reached the top a crew member welcomed me. I peeked over the railing down at my wife from many stories above and waved. She was snapping pics furiously and waved back.

I entered the tube. The crew member smiled and told me to cross my arms and be "ready". I was not sure what to do but I crossed my arms and gripped myself as tightly as I could.

The door closed. An electronic voice suddenly came on a hidden speaker and counted down:

The floor slid out from under me and I whooshed downwards with amazing velocity. I know I screamed, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" all the way down to the bottom and then started up to the final rise. Only I did not make it to the top of the rise. I came close. There is water rushing down along with you throughout the ride. You are supposed to flow with it. Only now I was sliding backwards back to the bottom against the current!

Now I'm on the bottom of the initial drop. Suddenly a thought occurs to me. The fat lady behind me is gonna come down the tube any second and my head will be deeply impaled somewhere amongst her rolls of flesh or even worse!

I contorted myself like Houdini and managed to maneuver to now be headfirst within the tube. I slowly crawl to the top of the hump in hopes of completing this now terrifying plastic tube journey. Only I slip back down again to the bottom and I was oh so close. Will this nightmare ever end?

Suddenly a hatch opens from above and a smiling crew member says, "come on out sir". The sun is shining, what joy!

Despite my adrenal rush I managed to convey, "I thought the next person was gonna come down and crush me."

"Oh no sir. We have sensors that monitor you so we know when you are completely out. Next time don't wear a shirt."

Now they tell me.

I found my wife. She looked at me in disbelief. "I heard you screaming and then you never came out, what happened?"

Don't wear a shirt.

Yes that was me. [emoji1][emoji1] I had the best laugh of my life watching your aged "fit" body struggle to free itself from a slide that 99 percent of others glide through easily. You made my vacation.

Yes that was me. [emoji1][emoji1] I had the best laugh of my life watching your aged "fit" body struggle to free itself from a slide that 99 percent of others glide through easily. You made my vacation.

Oh boy, this thread just got interesting :D

I've rode this same slide on Getaway at least 20 times, one time I came to a complete stop at the high point in the tube. I too was wearing a shirt (as I always do thinking it will be less drag than my skin). I'll have to try it bare-back and see if I go faster.

OMG......seriously.....I just totally belly laughed! Thanks so much!

......as for you grinches who are worried about your wasted seconds.....laughter will improve the quality of your life......lighten up!:rolleyes:

Haha! That is a great story. Thank you for sharing it. I always go down the slides on ships! My kids are not amused but I still do it. Now you have another excuse to go back on the Getaway and to do it again without the shirt.

Thanks for sharing your story! Being a little claustrophobic, closed tube slides are hard for me (especially a long one like that). Was the free fall part (at the start) scary at all? The pictures don't look like it's a big high drop or even very much of a vertical drop. I only went on the other slides last trip but might get up the courage on one of our upcoming cruises.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

Was the free fall part (at the start) scary at all?

Did you see the part where I mentioned screaming? That was the free fall. Although the scariest part for me was not knowing for sure if the very large suzyQ was not coming down the chute at any moment behind me.