Hawaii in Summer

I may be missing this somewhere, and if I am I do apologize. But does anyone know why RC does not cruise to Hawaii in the summer? My husband and I are limited to traveling from mid June-early August. We would love to book a Hawaiian cruise in June 2017 but it appears as if there is only one other cruise line that cruises from Hawaii that time of year, and unfortunately it's not one we want to try.

Anyone have any input on this?

I may be missing this somewhere, and if I am I do apologize. But does anyone know why RC does not cruise to Hawaii in the summer? My husband and I are limited to traveling from mid June-early August. We would love to book a Hawaiian cruise in June 2017 but it appears as if there is only one other cruise line that cruises from Hawaii that time of year, and unfortunately it's not one we want to try.

Most cruise lines move their ships to Europe or Alaska during the summer. This is where the demand for cruises is during the summer .

Royal only sails to Hawaii as part of periodic repositioning of ships between Alaska and Australia. So you will only see a trip in April from Australia and a trip in September to Australia.

Thanks for the information!

Having done two med. cruises two years in a row. We hit all the ports we want to see over there. Maybe we will have to consider doing another cruise line for Hawaii.

Thanks again for the information! :)

Princess is about the only line left doing R/T west coast - but not in summer -- Carnival does them occasionally and so does HAL -- again not in summer

We have one coming up on October 17th on Carnival -- top dollar with little competition :(

As said Royal and Celebrity only do Hawaii on re-positioning cruises. They have mostly abandoned the west coast :mad:

Sure, cruises to Hawaii are somewhat problematic for foreign flagged ship like RCI. They can do 15-day RT cruises from Los Angeles or San Francisco but must stop in a nearby foreign port like Ensenada or they can do one-way 10-day sailing from Vancouver to Honolulu or Honolulu to Ensenada. They can not do RT sailing out of Honolulu since there isn't any near by foreign port to stop at. NCL's Pride of America is US flagged and doesn't have this restriction. This is all because of the PSVA that limits how foreign flagged can operated in US waters. There has been must written about the PSVA here in Cruise critic and you can do a search. Another reason RCI doesn't do cruises to Hawaii in Summer is that cruises to Alaska and Europe have higher demand and thus can command higher rates vs Hawaii. RCI places ships where a majority of people want to go given the demographic of it's passenger base. Also you need to factor in the air cost for those in the Midwest & East Coast which make Hawaii less cost effective vs flying to the Caribbean. You have to get people to the ships from all over the US and Canada. The Oasis and Allure are too large to fit through the Panama canal so they must stay in the Caribbean. I'm sure RCI has done market studies and the bean counter have determined that placing a ship(s) to Hawaii in the summer just isn't as profitable given all various restrictions and operating factors. It no different when RCI pulled out of doing 7-day RT cruises out of Los Angeles to Mexico simply because they could put their ships in another region and make a better return.

Edited by COMBOY