Will we be safe & reccomedations

milliesimmons

Hello, we are due to visit Montego Bay on 23rd and 29th December. We are a family of three (2 adults and 1 child) and are apprehensive about going and have a few safety concerns. Where do you reccomend we visit? We thought about going to doctors cave beach. Any info would be greatly recieved!

Hello, we are due to visit Montego Bay on 23rd and 29th December. We are a family of three (2 adults and 1 child) and are apprehensive about going and have a few safety concerns. Where do you reccomend we visit? We thought about going to doctors cave beach. Any info would be greatly recieved!

I ported at Falmouth and walked 4 miles down the highway to a public beach, and back. I found the atmosphere on Jamaica no different than anywhere else. Everyone quite friendly: "Ya Mon".

That being said, Falmouth is only a very small town. Montego Bay is bigger, and I find that the larger the city the higher the number of jerks. I tend to suspect that the widely-publicized violence on Jamaica is a) concentrated in Kingston, which is a long way from Montego; b) drug-trade related; c) alcohol-related in the evening; d) also, unfortunately, some homophobia.

Tourists are not being rounded up and slaughtered any more than any other place. Of course one should always be careful.

Some people on my ship went from Falmouth to Drs Cave. They reported a safe and good time.

Millies, I 2nd what Bangding has said. We are to port at Mo Bay also and have been there 2 previous occasions. Your ship should have a Shuttle either free or just a nominal price per person that will stop at or near Dr. Cave's beach. Many of my friends will be going their on our next cruise. Entry is about $5 to the beach. I believe this is your safest and best use of your time at Mo Bay. Do not hire a taxi or try to go off on your own. Doing Dunn's River, White water rafting, river tubing or any other more adventurous activity is just too much with the child.

The issue is, that outside of Cruise Ship Excursions and Doctor's Cave Beach, there isn't too much to do in the Montego Bay area with kids.

It is a city, and you would need to get out of the city for some tours and excursion type of activity. That being said, I would not hesitate to do a tour, have some fun!! Jamaica is not the hell-hole that people make it out to be. It's a beautiful island with all kinds of things to do.

How old is your child? Toddler? Tween? That will make a difference as well.

Hi, my child is 12 :)

You could go river rafting, , horseback riding, YS Falls, a day-pass at an all-inclusive hotel (there are a couple right near the port in MoBay), dolphin swim, zip-lining, etc. There's really plenty to do, but you have to get out of Montego Bay to do it.

We've been to Jamaica many times and take private taxis (government regulated) all the time. We negotiate a price first, then head out. We like to stop at Jerk Huts along the road as well. If you ask your driver to take you to his favorite place, then offer to buy lunch.....you will no doubt get some phenomenal food. :)

No matter if we've arrived on a ship, or stayed for week long vacations, we've never had any kind of trouble or safety issues in Jamaica. It's a city, with lots of locals. Just know that they have a different culture (may offer you ganja, or a trinket) but generally a firm no thanks along with a smile will do the trick.

Millies- do not go off on your own. Only royal excursions. It can be very dangerous. You have every reason to be apprehensive. -especially with a child.

If this were true, cruise ships would not stop here. It would not be the #2 destination in visitors in the Caribbean and there would be a US Travel ban or restriction if this is the case......which it is not.

Is it poorer than you are used too? Most likely. Is it a city with lots of people looking to make a buck....you bet. But out of the 200 + passengers I personally send to Jamaica a year (yes, I work for a large travel corporation), I have never had any kind of "safety concerns" complaints upon return. 90% of my passengers LOVED it and return within the next 3 years. I guess that should tell you something.

I will tell you NOT to go to Kingston, but the touristy side of the island (Ocho Rios/Montego Bay/Negril/Whitehouse) are all very welcoming and beautiful.

IMO

what turns many people off in Jamaica is the 'culture' that makes most shopping a barter event requiring 'negotiation' and negotiation in Jamaica typically includes raised voices & arm waving.

US folks think they are being attacked ..... to Jamaicans this is just doing business.

My first visit to Jamaica was 1974 and I've been back many many times both work and vacation. Have taken the family many times and never had a problem . . .

On the other hand, Montego Bay is not my favorite port on the island. DC beach is a good choice or a river rafting trip. these are not 'white water rafts typically, but a bamboo raft with a slow ride down the river

In JA ... if approached and you are not interested, a firm "no thank you" with eye contact is all you need to "shut it down"

BUT, if you show ANY interest, you have started the negotiation process and it is DIFFICULT to turn off! The OFF is to walk away ...

See the conflict? To most US folks, a casual look is courteous .... and walking away is rude . . .

cultural differences . . .

IMO

what turns many people off in Jamaica is the 'culture' that makes most shopping a barter event requiring 'negotiation' and negotiation in Jamaica typically includes raised voices & arm waving.

US folks think they are being attacked ..... to Jamaicans this is just doing business.

My first visit to Jamaica was 1974 and I've been back many many times both work and vacation. Have taken the family many times and never had a problem . . .

On the other hand, Montego Bay is not my favorite port on the island. DC beach is a good choice or a river rafting trip. these are not 'white water rafts typically, but a bamboo raft with a slow ride down the river

In JA ... if approached and you are not interested, a firm "no thank you" with eye contact is all you need to "shut it down"

BUT, if you show ANY interest, you have started the negotiation process and it is DIFFICULT to turn off! The OFF is to walk away ...

See the conflict? To most US folks, a casual look is courteous .... and walking away is rude . . .

Well said Capt...well said.

My SIL's family lives in Jamaica and when they heard she was going on a cruise with us that stopped in Falmouth they warned us NOT to go off on her own. Only go with a tour guide.

I'm disappointed as it has now caused my entire family (we're all cruising together) to not want to do anything on their own. As annoying as it is, I'm gonna go with the locals' advise. Better safe than sorry.

• 1 month later...

I would go to a resort for the day via an excursion but when we go to MB Jamaica with our kids we plan on taking a cab from pier to Scotchies to eat. Delicious inexpensive authentic food. We ordered everything on the menu for a taste! It was fun! It is across the highway from the ocean so it is still on the main safe highway. Check out trip advisor for pics. We loved it! Then we are going to taxi back to Doctors cave beach for the remainder of the day. Margaritaville is also next to Dr Cave with a slide. Maybe dessert for us there? There will be seven of us so I don't want to pay for tickets for all inclusive resort for the day as it isn't in my budget.

We've been to Montego Bay about 4 or 5 times, and I enjoy it every time. In fact, its probably my favorite port. Jamaica is such a beautiful country. As the previous poster mentioned, the cultures are vastly different, but that is what makes it nice. Get out and experience stuff, don't shelter yourself...at least that is my opinion.

Along with another cruise coming up in 2 weeks, we are tentatively planning a land based trip to Negril spring of next year because we love the island so much.

We typically catch a shuttle to Dr. Cave Beach for the day. It is relatively inexpensive, the water is usually perfect, and the beach is beautiful. They have everything you need in one spot.

We typically catch a shuttle to Dr. Cave Beach for the day. It is relatively inexpensive, the water is usually perfect, and the beach is beautiful. They have everything you need in one spot.

This would be our suggestion as well so you'll be with others.

Either go to Dr. Cave Beach or take an excursion offered by your ship.

MoBay is not a good place to be wandering around on your own. :o

IMO

Can you give me some information on the river rafting you have done and who you did it through? We are going to Falmouth at the beginning of November and I have been looking into this but having a hard time making a decision.

We had a negative experience in Montego Bay about 6 years ago: My husband, myself and our 2 boys (who were 16 & 11) had planned to take the shuttle bus from the ship to the market to shop. As we were about to get off the bus, there was a truckload of men screaming obscenities at us telling us to leave - "Go back to your F'ing boat" Well, that scared the crap outta me so we got back on the bus and ended up going to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville instead. We had a good time there, but not really appropriate for kids - more of a college age or young adult kind of place to go. Some of our friends went on excursions and could not say enough great things about their experiences in Jamaica.

So when we go back to Montego Bay this November, we are already planning on which excursion to take - "The Big 3 - Sky Explorer, Canopy and Bobsled on Mystic Mountain."

Montego Bay, where Carnival docks, is at an industrial port and not a tourist attraction at all. Since you already are planning on going to Doctor's Cave beach you and your family should be fine.

Edited by patchofheaven