Cunard on board wine selections

ChipVA

Cunard (Thank the Lords) have one of the most relaxed wine policy's. If your not flying just take a case or two of your favourite wine and pay the reasonable corkage fee.

Put it this way.. A fine wine that you buy + the 20$ corkage is much better value and more enjoyable than some of the overpriced supermarket garbage they have on the lists.. And the better wines are stupidly overpriced meaning your still better off supplying your own.

I do recommend tipping the sommelier a little more though so he doesnt do a vanishing trip with your bottle at the most inconvenient time (when your glass is empty) or just tell him/her to leave it on the table.

Cunard (Thank the Lords) have one of the most relaxed wine policy's. If your not flying just take a case or two of your favourite wine and pay the reasonable corkage fee.

Put it this way.. A fine wine that you buy + the 20$ corkage is much better value and more enjoyable than some of the overpriced supermarket garbage they have on the lists.. And the better wines are stupidly overpriced meaning your still better off supplying your own.

I do recommend tipping the sommelier a little more though so he doesnt do a vanishing trip with your bottle at the most inconvenient time (when your glass is empty) or just tell him/her to leave it on the table.

I agree!

We don't drink mass quantities...but when we do imbibe, we prefer quality over quantity. If the wine is not to our taste, there really is no reason to order it....which is why we sometimes bring along something we know we will enjoy rather than choose something we don't "know" from the menu.

Then again....Convenience and not having to lug bottles is also a consideration.

BTW, where can we get another peek at the wine list on the QM2?

The Veuve Cliquet 2004 reserve champagne was surprisingly good and reasonable value for $95. We wern't so keen on the Rose which was more expensive around $105.

The Louis XIII Cognac double measure at $250 was of questionable value.

30 year port $16, 40 year $26. Both are good, the latter more so with cheese.

The rest was a bit of a haze I'm afraid.

Edited by robbie_3
error

We are taking an 18-day cruise on QM2 in October. i've read all the posts about bringing on wine but I'm still worried about doing it. We will be arriving via a car service and if they don't let us take it on we'll be up that creek without a paddle. I've read the wine packages and there isn't anything there I've ever heard of. We drink merlot and cab and they are definitely lacking on both lists. Has anybody taken a case on in the last couple of months?? I would really like to have wine with me that I enjoy. We have done this on Princess without a problem, you pay the corking fee as you get on the ship but lost a case on Carnival a few years ago after they changed the policy.

Donna Fitzgerald

My experience is as recent as December 2014; I haven't seen any change in their written policy nor heard of any cases where passengers experienced different treatment than I was given. I think you'll be safe to bring 12 or more bottles with you.

I expect that someone will provide more recent experience but I figured I could start off with something around 9 months old.

Edited by Underwatr