No laundry room on Encore

dalliowner

As we have found in a previous posting there is no laundry rooms on the Encore, now it is built there is no chance they will change this. If enough people give their views it could change the design of future ships though.

Only a small percentage of us on any cruise get the free bag a week benefit. A lot of people might opt to do laundry in their bathrooms, at least of socks and underwear, rather than paying $3-4 per item or taking up the room of shirts, trousers, etc in the laundry bag. The lovely, luxurious bathrooms will look like a backpackers laundry room instead. True, only the occupants and the poor waitress will know, but really, wouldn't it be better to have laundry rooms as now? Not to mention that it will not increase the profit margin by much if the clothes are not sent in anyway. Really classy and cheap, Seabourn!

Edited by marazul

...or taking up the room of shirts, trousers, etc in the laundry bag...

With skilful rolling and tight layered packing one can get between 30 and 35 items into the laundry bag - which at $50 a time strikes me as excellent value. I recall a conversation on one cruise with an officer who was extremely amused that - at that morning's senior management meeting - the Hotel Director had been aghast to report that one guest had actually managed to pack 54 items into a bag!

Yes, the Seabourn laundry bag is indeed a good deal. And my husband keeps reminding me that while on a cruise I should not be obsessing about doing the laundry. But just the same, having a small laundry room for those who need or want it is a nice convenience. Not having one is an oversight.

I agree with TV24, the laundry bag is great value, and I always use my club benefits for the free laundry bag per person per week. However, I think it is a mistake to do away with the laundry room. Laundry is a very personal thing and I can understand that some people would not wish someone else sorting their smalls!! Besides, I remember on my first Seabourn cruise doing some laundry, and chatting to a couple of ladies whilst we were washing, sorting, etc, and I complained how my husband was probably up on deck with a large cocktail in hand. One lady said," Right, two can play that game," and promptly ordered room service to bring us 3 glasses of champagne, and some caviar!! Priceless!!

Yes, I know that irons are not permitted...and I do not travel with one. There is often a discussion here and on other boards where some folks state that they take their irons...and I am always among those who speak against it as a fire hazard. However, one very handy use of the laundry room was the ability to press out wrinkles. I don't anticipate that folks will wish to send many clothes out for pressing. [in addition to laundry] I was merely thinking that the absence of this facility might invite more irons...not a positive thing.

I get free laundry BUT still like to launder certain garments, and actually enjoy doing laundry (crazy, I know, but I love almost daily freshly laundered clothes), I absolutely want a free laundry option on-board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the factors influencing this decision could be that the Laundry has, on many occasions, been the source of complaint about guest behavior with instances where guests have been removed ie offloaded, due to "laundry rage". The issues arise when some/many leave their completed loads in the washing machines or dryers and resent the actions of others in removing them so they can use the machines.

The decision to do away with the Laundry is probably a combination of seeking to end the issues involved in managing the Laundry, whilst also seeing a revenue raising opportunity. At least the bathrooms in the suites are well set up for doing your own if that is your preference.

i really don't mind if there are no washing machines, however, a few irons and ironing boards are vital..how else are we to look presentable in the evenings after unpacking. I don't trust anyone except my dh to iron any of my clothes.

However, I think it is a mistake to do away with the laundry room. Laundry is a very personal thing and I can understand that some people would not wish someone else sorting their smalls!!...

Also, the $50 laundry bag now takes 2 nights for normal service. (It used to come back the next afternoon as long as you get them picked up in the morning; now it takes two nights.)

Self-laundry tip: place your items in a mesh bag. Then, if another guest must remove it, they are not handling your clean garments, and you don't risk a tiny item being left behind. I also find that frequent trips to and from the laundry is another way to control my weight as I only use the stairs to go up and down all the flights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobar of Scottsdale

1957 Staten Island Ferry

1992 Norwegian, Caribbean

February 2002 Seabourn Legend, Costa Rica to Ft. Lauderdale (via Panama canal)

December 2002 SeaDream, Caribbean

July 2003 Seabourn Spirit, Istanbul to Venice

August 2003 Seabourn Spirit, Venice to Rome

March 2004 Silversea, Mexican Riviera

February 2005 Seabourn Spirit, Singapore to Hong Kong

April 2007 Seabourn Pride, Monte Carlo to Istanbul

July 2008 No cruise but visits to Malaga and Mallorca to the homes of new friends we made on Seabourn in 2005!

March 2010 Silversea, Singapore to Dubai

December 2011 Seabourn Sojourn, Santiago to Buenos Aires

August-Sept 2013 Seabourn Quest, Monte Carlo to Barcelona

Also, the $50 laundry bag now takes 2 nights for normal service. (It used to come back the next afternoon as long as you get them picked up in the morning; now it takes two nights.)

This is why we didn't use the laundry service. We had been traveling for 8 days prior to boarding the ship and needed laundry done right away. One of the washers wasn't working but there was no sign and I used it. It stopped working when my clothes were fully immersed in a machine full of water. I had to pull my sopping wet clothes out and move to the machine next to it and neither machine's lids stayed up on its own. It was not easy to hold two lids open and shift the clothes on my own.. I was not happy.

On the day before the final day before the end of the cruise that entire laundry room was out of service. I was glad to get a head start on mine since we had 5 post days after the cruise.

With skilful rolling and tight layered packing one can get between 30 and 35 items into the laundry bag - which at $50 a time strikes me as excellent value. I recall a conversation on one cruise with an officer who was extremely amused that - at that morning's senior management meeting - the Hotel Director had been aghast to report that one guest had actually managed to pack 54 items into a bag!

This would had been me.....Hahaha! Would have rolled each item into micron sizes and rubber banded them:p