Is the first time the best?

OceanCruise

Definitely our first cruise was not the best.

To celebrate our 10th Anniversary we decided on a cruise and chose an Italian Line because our TA suggested it. The ship was the Carla C. Not knowing anything about cruising we chose an interior cabin figuring we wouldn't be spending all that much time it it. The first day my husband got seasick and had to see the ship doctor. The next day I got sick and missed an entire day of activites and meals.

The ship was old and reeked of diesel fumes. We tried to see a movie in their theater and the smell drove us out. We tried dancing in the nightclubs and felt like we were dancing on a teeter totter. The ship did not have the latest and greatest stablizers that are available now.

On the plus side, the food was outstanding, the crew "Italian" were charming and the ports wee beautiful. At St Thomas we were the lucky cabin and one a four pack of various liquor. By the way, shore excursions were only about $20. each.

The entertainment was far from the production shows you see today. In fact, at the costume party everyone could make costumes out of crepe paper. We were Cookie Monster and Big Bird.

THe year of this cruise was 1979 and since this we have been on 13 cruises and have another one coming up in November on the Jewel.

Joanne

As you get more "savvy" you learn find what really "fits" your vacation lifestyle.

In less than 70 days, I am on my 50th cruise and like a kid at Christmas, am excited!

The 2 am strolls around the deck with my wife, the really ice cold martini before dinner, the 6am (very quiet) cup of coffee up on deck. Then kicking back and watching the sea rush by while enjoying that second or third cup on a balcony.

Finding the special niche on the ship for a late evening drink, some laughter and planning the next one!

Jim,

Sounds like you have passed me. I can not get away from work as often as you can. It was great cruising with you last January. Maybe we will cruise with you again someday.

What a great thread!..................nope, so far each one has been a little "better" than the previous one. The first was the shortest, the furthest point of em/debarkation, and the most expensive, both per diem and in total cost. Having said that, I can close my eyes (well I really don't have to do that) and picture the surroundings, the people at the table, and the food setting the very first evening meal. I think the experience of past trips and the friends and knowledge we have obtained from C.C. has enhanced each successive cruise. We anxiously await the next one, looking froward to that being the best one yet!

i almost feel sorry for those that read cruise critic before their first cruise. to me the excitement of not knowing what to expect from our first cruise made it more interesting and i loved every minute of it. i wouldn't get off the ship until my husband promised that we would cruise again!!

now we have been on 7 cruises over the past 6 years and although we still enjoy them very much - we start to notice things that aren't quite right. in fact on our british isles cruise this summer, there were many guests that were downright rude and selfish and this became more annoying as the days (12) went on. it was so frustrating to be annoyed with people while on vacation! there is definitely a difference in how the guests treat others on cruises that have more seasoned travelers (for us, our european cruises). on caribbean cruises we find that people are more carefree.

i think it is important to appreciate each cruise and for everyone to realize how lucky they are to be there considering that there are many people who will never experience the ultimate joy of cruising. we are all VERY lucky.

on the last night of our last cruise my husband and i walked the entire ship and soaked it all in thinking about how fortunate we were to be there. sometimes you take things for granted and you just need to stop and look around to appreciate it.

Archived