Is the first time the best?

OceanCruise

I think every cruise is special in its own way.You can keep it exciting by trying new ports and doing different things you missed before.You can try different types of cabins.WARNING:Balconies are addicting.I love bringing people who have never been on a cruise before.My first cruise has some very special memories .I picked up some good tips too.I found out I get seasick for the first time and about dramamine(LOL)

As you get more "savvy" you learn find what really "fits" your vacation lifestyle.

In less than 70 days, I am on my 50th cruise and like a kid at Christmas, am excited!

The 2 am strolls around the deck with my wife, the really ice cold martini before dinner, the 6am (very quiet) cup of coffee up on deck. Then kicking back and watching the sea rush by while enjoying that second or third cup on a balcony.

Finding the special niche on the ship for a late evening drink, some laughter and planning the next one!

I have only been on two, with my third coming in November, but my first one was not all that great.

It was on Carnival, and was only 4 days long. That may have been the problem, but mostly I think it was more the cruiseline than anything else. Carnival is just not our type of cruiseline. We waited 8 years before taking another one, and it was absolutely PERFECT! Of course, that was with RCI !!!!!

I am expecting this one to even top the last one.

Happy Sailing!

Disclaimer: I am not bashing Carnival, just saying its not our type of cruise.

Our upcoming cruise in Jan. on the Radiance will be our 14th cruise,,,still get just as excited as the first cruise,,,this being our first cruise on RCC we are anxious to try another cruise line, we are jumping ship from Celebrity and looking forward to the Radiance, all I have read on these boards seems like we made the right choice.:)

I have to say the first was not the best. I remember being excited, but we didn't have the web so all I knew was what the brochure said. Our last cruise was the best - new BIG ship, whole family went. This time I know what to expect - what to pack, where to go, etc. I am not booking a single shore excursion because I feel comfortable doing my own thing. I am also trying a new line, so I am still very excited about that!

My first cruise was Disney Magic, when it was brand new and was it ever exciting to prepare for! I loved the cruise, everything about it. I'm now planning 8, 9 and 10 (just little ones) but I'm still as excited about those as the first. We are repeating a couple of ships, but the fun part (for us) is trying different lines and different ships.

Our first was on the Royale, the first Premier ship. It was an old ship that had been

renovated. I went to the open house before the first cruise, and stood in line for 2

hours in the sun. Then we marched thru the ship jammed together like a huge army.

I remember being soooo impressed with the dining room, all maroon and silver. The

cabins looked so pretty, and the decks all teak and fabulous. I knew that would be

the closest I'd ever get to cruising. Got home and whined a lot, and my husband said

ok, the cheapest way we can go. So I booked in inside, cabin M22. It was so small

we had to put the chair into the closet to get into bed. We were on the 4th cruise,

in April 84, and wound up 2 little specks on the brochure. I fell in love with cruising,

went home and asked my TA how to become one, quit my job, jumped into the

travel agent industry, at age 48, and retired at 62 a manager of 2 offices. I'm

going on my 41st cruise (my DH's 25th) in Nov, and love it more than ever.

Being on the sea cleans your soul, and wipes your mind clear. Viva la cruise!

Certain things about our first cruise were the best. Such as seeing the massive ship for the first time. No brochure can prepare you for that. Of course Monarch is now more like a tug boat relatively speaking but in 1996 I believe it was the largest mainstream ship afloat. Amazing how things have changed in 10 years.

There also is a pure adrenalin lift as soon as you cross the ramp and get onboard.

We applied things we learned on our first cruise to our next one. And we're doing the same for the one in January. We now avoid the captain's cocktail party - just an excuse to get you to pay for a photo in our opinion. We don't attend the port information sessions they have the night before. Those are one big commercial for all the shops that RCCL has an affiliation with. We avoid the art auctions - unless you want a good chuckle by seeing some people overpay.

We think there is always something new and "better" on the next cruise.

Though the first cruise was amazing, I couldn't get over how much I loved it, it's the cruise I am currently on that's always the best!

Having said that, my cruise on the Millennium to Europe this summer was beyond all my possible expectations. The cruise was great, and I loved Celebrity, but it was Europe that blew me away. If you haven't done this, you need to find a way to do it in the future!

Funny. My first cruise was 10 years ago, and my second only last January. But my third is in 2 weeks and I expect to go onmany more now.

The first was no the best. It was on the Sovereign of the Seas, and I did not like the rigid meal schedule, lack of choices, rigid entertainment schedule... I just felt herded. Also I felt short-changed on ports - not enough time to see them well.

Ten years later, The ships are bigger, many more options, much more freedom, much mor enjoyable. I have been to many of the ports in land vacations and not so impatient with port visits (which still need to be longer!) And, we have a child, and crusing is an unexpected delight with small children. No need for extensive walking, great kids program, lots of time to ourselves as adults!

First cruise was the most exciting, then, like other posts here, got addicted to cruising and each one was special, couldn't wait each time to get back on board the next cruise I would book, each one was fantastic. Now, look forward to relaxing and making new friends.

Really enjoy listening on our current cruises to first timers and feel their excitement for it being their first cruise. Also, have learned (unless asked) not to get into stories "well, in the old days, it use to be this way or that way"

Dave

I was close to neither of us wanting to ever step on a cruise ship again!

Carnival Ecstacy to get us to Paradise Island for the grand opening of Atlantis.

My friend, her husband along with us tried to get air to Nassau but not too many flying there and almost $1000 PP. So Carnival Cruise lines had a $185 PP 3 nt cruise to Nassau. Little did we know that we are out at sea, very mesmerized by it. Dinner was horrible with a steak that doubled as shoe soles. Drunks all over with broken glass all over the floors & no one cleaning up.

Beds were twin in 2 directions joined at the head. with a large swquare wooden item with lifejackets inside about 6" from both beds, black n blue legs were in order. We reserved KING or QUEEN. We were asked at the C/S area we were told "it is a request that we could not meet". So we slept on the loungers by the pool. That morning we smell smoke and peole are running out by the pool pointing to the back of the ship which was engulfed in flames. Not one employee out there getting us to the lifeboats, not one announcement on what was happening, jus black smoke in our faces with no fresh air eventho we are at the front of the ship. For hours, we leaned over the railings, went to lower decks to get away, but nothing helped. Our faces were balck as were our clothes & everyone we looked at. Finally we dock in Nassau & fire dept there puts out the fire.

We had to go to Atlantis resembling Al Jolson & our luggage was still in our room burnt up, which was the room next to the laundry room, and a dryer caught fire. CNN interviewed us on the dock, even got us to Altantis in their limo since they were going to the party. Our friend from S Africa got us a room there, new clothes, toiletries, everything to make this horrible cruise go away. He even flew us home in his private jet, wanting to see the Rock Hall.

Carnival? They gave us 15% off our next cruise & nothing for what we lost!

What do you think? Was your first cruise the best because it was so new and exciting, or do your cruises get better and better because you know what to expect and can plan better?

Our first was only a 4-night on Sovereign, but it was still pretty overwhelming for novice cruisers. I love being able to do so much research now, and think the cruises keep getting better. We can't wait to explore Explorer -- where Sovereign seemed like a small city to us, Explorer will seem like a small country :D

My first was not that great. Was with husband. It was NCL back in 1996 or so, and we were in an inside right where the anchor went down. He got seasick and spent the whole time in the cabin as the ship rocked back and forth in rough seas. I liked all the activities and made the best of it.

Best cruise for me was the Jewel in 2004. Great ship, really started the cruising addiction. Love the fact that I have so many choices and have come to realize that you cant do everything each cruise and therefore.... I must keep planning another!

Our first was extermely special. It was for our 25th anniversary and it will always rank as a most important event in our lives. It so happened that our 25th & RCCL's 25th are on the same day (Nov.7th). So when champagne was served to everyone at dinner that night, we just pretended that the hunderds of passengers were joining in our anniversary celebration.

My first cruise was fantastic.

At that time my boyfriend (now husband) surprised me with a cruise for my birthday. I didn't know anything until I was on the plane to Miami. Everyone was in on it (parents, co-workers, friends, etc.). I was given notes with what type of clothes to pack, not to ask questions, trust everyone, not to painc (yeah, right), etc. Even the limo guy wouldn't tell me where we were going (airport). I met DH right before we boarded the plane and during the flight he handed me the navy blue leather case and wished me a happy birthdy and that we were going on a cruise for a week. I wanted to jump up and down so much but I was strapped in a seat. I think he did that unpurpose.

This was his second cruise (first on RCI) and my first. Seeing Sovereign for the first time (she was the mega ship then) was unreal. I couldn't believe how huge it was. The cabin, cruise, staff, food, ports, etc. was fantastic. We had such a wonderful time and we got hooked on cruising. My birthday was spent at Megan's Bay (St. Thomas) and it was one of the most memorable gifts that I ever received.

The cruise that came close to that (ok actually topped it) was our cruise in July for our 10th wedding anniversary. We renewed our vows on the ship, I wore my wedding gown again, had friends from CC join us for the ceremony/reception, etc. It was perfect and everything we hoped for came true. Voyager was the newest ship we've been on and we fell in love with it. So much to do, so little time but it was fantastic.

I'm so happy that my DH introduced me to this cruising in 1992. We are looking forward to many more in the future.

My first cruise was fantastic.

At that time my boyfriend (now husband) surprised me with a cruise for my birthday. I didn't know anything until I was on the plane to Miami. Everyone was in on it (parents, co-workers, friends, etc.). I was given notes with what type of clothes to pack, not to ask questions, trust everyone, not to painc (yeah, right), etc. Even the limo guy wouldn't tell me where we were going (airport). I met DH right before we boarded the plane and during the flight he handed me the navy blue leather case and wished me a happy birthdy and that we were going on a cruise for a week. I wanted to jump up and down so much but I was strapped in a seat. I think he did that unpurpose.

This was his second cruise (first on RCI) and my first. Seeing Sovereign for the first time (she was the mega ship then) was unreal. I couldn't believe how huge it was. The cabin, cruise, staff, food, ports, etc. was fantastic. We had such a wonderful time and we got hooked on cruising. My birthday was spent at Megan's Bay (St. Thomas) and it was one of the most memorable gifts that I ever received.

The cruise that came close to that (ok actually topped it) was our cruise in July for our 10th wedding anniversary. We renewed our vows on the ship, I wore my wedding gown again, had friends from CC join us for the ceremony/reception, etc. It was perfect and everything we hoped for came true. Voyager was the newest ship we've been on and we fell in love with it. So much to do, so little time but it was fantastic.

I'm so happy that my DH introduced me to this cruising in 1992. We are looking forward to many more in the future.

What a beautiful story - thanks so much for sharing it :)

ckrobyn:

No problem.. more than happy to share a happy cruise story.. ok two stories. I love to cruise, I enjoy meeting new people and I love the entire experience. Being on the ocean, smelling the salt air, seeing beautiful sunrises/sunsets/full moon/rainbows is something you can't describe. Cruising is a whole new world of traveling and I feel for those that never had this type of experience for one reason or another. It's an awesome experience and get's better on every cruise.

Thanks for your feedback!

Archived