Blue Iguana Cantina

marne001

Hi all,

Does the Blue Iguana Cantina have chips? I heard this from several folks. We are sailing on the CCL Conquest and never been to this venue and gotta have my chips with any Mexican comida!

Thanks!

No. Seems to be a major complaint about it too...

Thank your for the reply.

Will grab a bag or two when at the FFL Publix when getting my fresh wine before hopping on the CCL Conquest! Gotta have chips with my salsa!

Will grab a bag or two when at the FFL Publix when getting my fresh wine before hopping on the CCL Conquest! Gotta have chips with my salsa!

That's what I would do. Seems as though that's the route people are taking. Enjoy.

That is what we did when we sailed the Liberty. They have a fantastic selection of salsas, but no chips! It's sacrilege!!

I don't mean to sound like a CCL cheerleader, but I am guessing that chips would go stale very very quickly in the humidity, ocean air? Then there would the complaints about stale chips. Could that maybe be why they don't have them?

I don't mean to sound like a CCL cheerleader, but I am guessing that chips would go stale very very quickly in the humidity, ocean air? Then there would the complaints about stale chips. Could that maybe be why they don't have them?

This and that there would be a lot more consumption and waste of salsa. It is made to be a condiment to the tacos and burritos - they would constantly be out if everyone took a full bowl to the table for dipping.

I thought the same thing, then thought, why not take re-sealable plastic bag (zip lock, glad) and put it your suitcase and that should keep crisp and fresh. The plastic bag will take up no room at all. Then if you want, take some small baggies and put the chips in those bags and away you go!

John Heald addressed the Tortilla Chip topic on his social media page. He responded that the ships with the 2.0 would not get the addition of chips as the salsas were intended to be used as a condiment for the Tacos and Burritos.

For those that want to carry on chips.... try the Pringles brand Tortilla Chips. They come in a stay fresh can -vs- a bag so they travel well.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

I live part time in the Virgin Islands, rethink bringing chips unless you have a ziplock. On our boat we use Tupperware for everything, cereal, chips, or anything that is crispy. Chips will literally last one day if left open. If CCL left chips open on an open air deck, they would not last, and watch out for "double dipping"

They make their own tortillas at Blue Iguana. There are tons of deep fryers around the ship, hence all the fried foods available. If Carnival wanted to offer tortilla chips, they very easily could avoid the soggy chip dilemma by frying them in smaller batches as needed. Truly, the ingredients in the fresh salsas must be fairly expensive when compared to the cost of other snacks foods. I think they don't offer chips as a way to cut costs.

They make their own tortillas at Blue Iguana. There are tons of deep fryers around the ship, hence all the fried foods available. If Carnival wanted to offer tortilla chips, they very easily could avoid the soggy chip dilemma by frying them in smaller batches as needed. Truly, the ingredients in the fresh salsas must be fairly expensive when compared to the cost of other snacks foods. I think they don't offer chips as a way to cut costs.

That's exactly right.... As stated in John's Blog, the ships that still have the grill area and offer the tortilla chips also offer the cheese sauce and chili as toppings. Both of these items are fairly inexpensive and not as labor intensive as the specialty salsas at the Blue Iguana.

Just my .02 cents, but if someone wanted to use their own chips at the Blue Iguana and they were discrete and used a reasonable amount of salsa, it probably wouldn't be a big issue. Now if someone mounded their plate up with chips and made it totally obvious as to what they were doing then it may be frowned upon....... who knows ??????

If I did bring on chips I would go for these - https://www.pringles.com/us/products/tortillas/truly-original.html

I would slip the can in my pool bag then head to Guy's first to use their shredded lettuce and such and then head over to the Blue Iguana for the rest.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

I am almost positive that we had chips and salsa on the Breeze in November.

The Carnival website shows the Breeze having chips and salsa, also.

http://www.carnival.com/onboard-classic/cruise-food/blueiguana-cantina.aspx

Wow, that's interesting. I clicked on the link and the description of the Blue Iguana certainly did list chips & salsa.

I wonder if they were/are trying this out on certain ships? John Heald did not mention this when he was addressing the Tortilla Chip questions.... all he said was that it was not going to be an option for the ships with the 2.0 as the salsas were intended as a condiment. When we sailed the Liberty in April, there were no tortilla chips.

Thank you for sharing this. :)

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

My wife has always had chips on Carnival ships They were/are triangle and thicker than an average chip. Found on the buffet and they would have a nacho sauce near them. Have they done away with those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had chips and salsa with my burrito on the dream this past Jan as we sailed away from MoBay. They were the yellow round corn tortilla chips you can buy in the boxes at sams club type stores. The chips were in the basket with the burrito when they handed it to me at the burrito bar on lido deck.

May have to bring some tortilla chips with me on the triumph this thanksgiving

We were on the Breeze for 14 nights in May. The Blue Iguana Cantina never had chips on that ship or any of the others we've been on.

For a 14 night cruise, I bring 2 large bags of tortilla chips, a chip clip, and sandwich ziploc bags. They've always stayed fresh the whole cruise. I bring them because I have to eat gluten free and the Blue Iguana meats, veggies, and guacamole are my favorite lunch as long as I have chips.

Had chips and salsa with my burrito on the dream this past Jan as we sailed away from MoBay. They were the yellow round corn tortilla chips you can buy in the boxes at sams club type stores. The chips were in the basket with the burrito when they handed it to me at the burrito bar on lido deck.

May have to bring some tortilla chips with me on the triumph this thanksgiving

If Carnival serves chips directly to the user, fine. If they are put out on the counter for general consumption, I would not touch them at all. Think of all the other hands that fingered them!

If Carnival serves chips directly to the user, fine. If they are put out on the counter for general consumption, I would not touch them at all. Think of all the other hands that fingered them!

The chips we had had a tong just like all the other food selections. Of course I'm sure some take the opportunity to hand pick them ..yuck.. But I guess its not any different than the lady I observed picking her veggies for her wok bowl with her hand. Yuck again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the Breeze for 14 nights in May. The Blue Iguana Cantina never had chips on that ship or any of the others we've been on.

For a 14 night cruise, I bring 2 large bags of tortilla chips, a chip clip, and sandwich ziploc bags. They've always stayed fresh the whole cruise. I bring them because I have to eat gluten free and the Blue Iguana meats, veggies, and guacamole are my favorite lunch as long as I have chips.

We were just on the Breeze and the only time I saw chips was during the Blue Cantina deck party. They had chips, salsa and sour cream .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk