Connecting tablets to eclipse tv

ade99

We are sailing next week and would like to watch programmes downloaded on our iPad and android tablet. Has anyone had experience of attaching them to the TV in their cabins? Any advise and techniques will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It is easily done with a HDMI cable connection, but no wireless connection as far as I know. Not sure if there is any kind of cable adapter to go from a tablet to HDMI.

I attached my MacBook to my TV on Constellation. All that was needed was to attach the HDMI cable to an open HDMI slot on the TV, and ask the cabin steward for the actual TV remote (the manufacturer remote, not the remote that is in cabins already that works the On Demand system) and then just had to change the input source to HDMI 2 using the tv Manufacturer remote.

Word of advice, get an "L" shaped HDMI end in case the space is too tight to access.....

The TV was set to automatically power on to the normal HDMI port, so when I wanted to watch normal ship TV, just had to power on and off, or use the remote to switch back to HDMI1.

On another sailing on Summit, I used the USB port on the TV to charge my iPhone. When I'd plug it in, the TV displayed some sort of message asking if I wanted to play content on my attached device, but as I didn't have the TV Manufacturer remote, could not scroll to select yes and see what happens. At that time, I didn't know about requesting a manufacturer remote - my cabin steward told me this trick on Connie just this spring.

I've learned a lot for cle-guy and picked up some tidbits from other users. I have found a really easy way to stream movies from my iPhone or IPad to the TV. I bring along my AppleTV 3 which uses an HDMI. I also bring along a mini-router (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WKIKA0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00) to make the wireless connection needed.

Make sure you turn off your phone's telephone data and roaming so you don't get any surprises.

I've learned a lot for cle-guy and picked up some tidbits from other users. I have found a really easy way to stream movies from my iPhone or IPad to the TV. I bring along my AppleTV 3 which uses an HDMI. I also bring along a mini-router (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WKIKA0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00) to make the wireless connection needed.

Make sure you turn off your phone's telephone data and roaming so you don't get any surprises.

Sorry if I sound clueless, but do you use both of these devices at the same time? We have Apple TV connected to my home TV. I thought the wireless signal went directly from my ipad to the Apple tv device. We have wireless home internet access. Would this still work if we didn't have wireless internet?

Sorry if I sound clueless, but do you use both of these devices at the same time? We have Apple TV connected to my home TV. I thought the wireless signal went directly from my ipad to the Apple tv device. We have wireless home internet access. Would this still work if we didn't have wireless internet?

Your apple TV at home is connected to your home network, either by Ethernet cable or wirelessly when it was initially set up. Your tablet is connected to the same network wirelessly, so the connection between the 2 devices is via your router, it's not a direct link.

For apple TV to work, both devices must be connected to the same network.

You don't need internet (only internal network via your router connectivity) if just streaming media stored on the device, however if you want to use Netflix or media that is stored on the internet via Apple TV there must also be an internet connection.

That was a good reply. At home I use my regular internet connection and a wireless connection to the Apple TV and to my Iphone/Ipad. When traveling I use the mini-router (it's only weighs a couple ounces) as a separate wiereless router only. I connect the AppleTV wireless to the mini-router and I also connect my Iphone/Ipad to the same router. Like Cle-Guy stated you will to have access to such things as Netflix. I stream content I have on my Iphone or Ipad to my AppleTV.

I found a neat program called AirParrot 2 which enables you to also wirelessly stream from you laptop to the AppleTV also. As above you have to connect your laptop to your internal wifi network

Jim

Edited by Jim_Iain

The Apple TV is the connecting device from your iPad to TV.

On the Eclipse the TV's in the cabins have all the input connections blocked off.I have tried to us our Video camera to watch what we have filmed and found there is no connections available unlike other TV's.I expect it is designed to stop people from trying to re tune the TV.

The Apple TV is the connecting device from your iPad to TV.

On the Eclipse the TV's in the cabins have all the input connections blocked off.I have tried to us our Video camera to watch what we have filmed and found there is no connections available unlike other TV's.I expect it is designed to stop people from trying to re tune the TV.

I have in the past used my Laptop on a TV on Eclipse, on 2 transatlantics. I had to call the cabin steward, who called maintenance who showed me how to do it, and I was good to go.

Eclipse, (all S-Class) the Entertainment system runs on MacMini's that plug into the HDMI Port. All you have to do is unplug the mac mini from the TV, and plug your device into the HDMI slot that you unplugged the MacMini from. The MacMini may be hidden in the wall depending on the cabin configuration, but the cable into the HDMI port is all you need to fund and swap out.

I have in the past used my Laptop on a TV on Eclipse, on 2 transatlantics. I had to call the cabin steward, who called maintenance who showed me how to do it, and I was good to go.

Eclipse, (all S-Class) the Entertainment system runs on MacMini's that plug into the HDMI Port. All you have to do is unplug the mac mini from the TV, and plug your device into the HDMI slot that you unplugged the MacMini from. The MacMini may be hidden in the wall depending on the cabin configuration, but the cable into the HDMI port is all you need to fund and swap out.

Thank you for all this great info! To clarify, I have downloaded movies and photos on my ipad. If I hook up my apple tv via an Ethernet cable to the tv in my stateroom I should be able to view what's on my ipad on the tv. I may have to figure out how to unplug the MacMini in order to plug in the cable for my appleTV. Does this make sense?

Thank you for all this great info! To clarify, I have downloaded movies and photos on my ipad. If I hook up my apple tv via an Ethernet cable to the tv in my stateroom I should be able to view what's on my ipad on the tv. I may have to figure out how to unplug the MacMini in order to plug in the cable for my appleTV. Does this make sense?

No you can not plug ethernet to tv, you have to use HDMI.

To play off your iPad via AppleTV, apple tv needs plugged into router or connected via WiFi depending on version you have.

Tablet ---> via Wifi to router \/

---------------- ROUTER/WIFI------------

Apple TV---> via Wifi/etherntet to router /\

Apple TV---> via HDMI --->TV

See how Tablet and Apple TV need connection to router, and apple TV needs ALSO HDMI connection to TV

Your tablet does not talk direct to apple TV, it talks to apple TV via the router, then apple TV can send the signal to the TV via HDMI cable.

So flow is Tablet --> Wifi/Router --> Apple TV ---> TV

No you can not plug ethernet to tv, you have to use HDMI.

To play off your iPad via AppleTV, apple tv needs plugged into router or connected via WiFi depending on version you have.

Tablet ---> via Wifi to router \/

---------------- ROUTER/WIFI------------

Apple TV---> via Wifi/etherntet to router /\

Apple TV---> via HDMI --->TV

See how Tablet and Apple TV need connection to router, and apple TV needs ALSO HDMI connection to TV

Your tablet does not talk direct to apple TV, it talks to apple TV via the router, then apple TV can send the signal to the TV via HDMI cable.

So flow is Tablet --> Wifi/Router --> Apple TV ---> TV

Thank you for clarifying. I meant HDMI and typed Ethernet instead oops, but left the router out of the mix. I appreciate your explaining this! I understand now. :o