Penguin tours

ptrpanpens

I know this may sound ridiculous but I am curious about what type of shoes to wear on the penguin excursions. I have heard that the penguins leave alot of "presents" all over the ground and that shoes can get ruined. Of course I do not plan to wear good shoes there but wonder if I should bring a pair of old throwaway sneakers just for those excursions. Another thing I have heard of is people covering their shoes with those surgical slippers to protect them but this seems like a hassle.

I would be interested in hearing about other's personal experience with this and if anyone has any suggestions.

There was some discussion about this issue on one of the roll calls for our B2B2B series of cruises.

During that series of cruises we did three penguin specific tours and one tour which visited other wildlife areas but included a stop at a penguin colony. There was absolutely no need for any type of protective shoe cover on any of those tours. I wore a lightweight waterproof hiking shoe, and it was perfect. Others wore athletic type shoes.