10 day SFO to AK on Golden (7/21-31)

swomom

Just a quick review of our recent AK cruise. My husband and I along with another couple flew to SFO from PHX on the morning of the cruise. Everything went perfectly. Princess reps met us and within 45 we were on our way to the ship. Fortunately, on a Tuesday morning city traffic was light. This was our friends' first-ever cruise...we are elite and always feel a bit like it is coming to a comfortable, familiar place..however, they were absolutely blown away. We just stood with them for a few minutes while they tried to take in the view of that beautiful ship. Things continued smoothly through check-in and boarding and we were in our rooms around 12:30. One of our favorite things to do is lunch in the MDR first day, but found out that for some reason they were not serving until 1:30. We were simply too hungry to wait and went to HC. We had balcony rooms on Baja not far from the back. Our room steward came and introduced himself.....refrigerator didn't work and he promised he would have it fixed....all taken care of next morning. I always take a nalgene and make my own iced tea (I am from the desert!). Our room steward simply was a star. As my son would say "he was the perfect ghost". Everything taken care of and no short cuts ever. He made Princess look very good.

The ship is in nice shape...new carpet and freshly redecorated HC. Sail away was on time and we sat on our balcony with friends and enjoyed the lovely afternoon.

Dinner was traditional early in the "dead end" dining room, Canaletto. We had a good waiter, not great or memorable but we still enjoyed it. I know food is very subjective but we thought it was all good....some obviously better than others. My husband loved it all because by now he knows that at home he has two choices for dinner....take it or leave it!

Our friends did excursions everywhere and we did none. We have been to AK several times before. So for us this was pure vacation. I guess we have learned that cruising is all about just having a wonderful time. We love to sit on our balcony and watch the ocean go by. The seas were so calm the whole trip. Somehow coffee and fresh fruit and fresh yeast rolls for breakfast with a view like that is something beyond special.

My DH has some mobility and low-vision issues so he often did his daily walks in the p-way on our deck. I took the stairs and would meet him wherever we were headed. Yes, the elevators are a bit slow...my only complaint has to do with elevator etiquette......just can't quite get over people who try to get on before they let people off! Where are they headed in such a hurry?

We had nice weather in Juneau and Skagway and then Glacier Bay was really socked-in with fog and low clouds. Could see very little until we got right up on the glacier......no white thunder or calving but still so magnificent. Takes your breath away.

We had to tender in Ketchikan and it was cloudy and rainy...we stayed on the ship and enjoyed having the ship pretty much to ourselves. Victoria showed off her beauty with gorgeous weather. I had a great walk out on the little sea wall.....along with lots of other people.

My DH likes the production shows....me, not so much. For starters they need to roll out some new ones...how often can one see "Motor City" and "British Invasion", I ask? However, getting to hear Libby Riddles and David Klinkenberg (sp) was just awesome. She is so personable and shares her story with such heart....and he is a violinist extraordinaire.....far and away one of Princess' best.

Of course cruises are over much too soon. Everything went smoothly the last day and before you know it we were headed home. One of our great pleasures was to get to see cruising through the eyes of those first-time cruisers.....made us appreciate all the opportunities that we've had. And they loved it...even made a future cruise deposit.

I know this has been a bit of a ramble and I appreciate those of you who read this. Thanks...Judy

I think the error was ours. The crew member taking us in the elevator said "only lunch in dining room until 1:30" but I heard "no lunch in dining room until 1:30"....so sorry...my bad.

Thanks for the great review....My family and I will be on her in 7 days (no I'm not the least big EXCITED!?!?!?!)

thanks Soprano - for clearing up the Dining room issue - my sister and I are planning a surprise for Mom and the dining room at lunch is crucial to our plan :) The surprise is that my sister is going with us :)

Thanks for the great review....My family and I will be on her in 7 days (no I'm not the least big EXCITED!?!?!?!)

thanks Soprano - for clearing up the Dining room issue - my sister and I are planning a surprise for Mom and the dining room at lunch is crucial to our plan :) The surprise is that my sister is going with us :)

How fun! Super excited for you. Post a picture later if you can.

Thank you for your review. We are doing the same cruise in 36 days and can't wait!

Thank you for the great review...Could you please post, if you remember, when the second formal night was? (I know the 1st Sea Day, Second night, is the First). Also, what night was the Crab and or Lobster Dinner in the Main Traditional Dining Room? Much obliged. Wishing you continued fine memories too of your trip.

Respectfully; R.J. Morris from Arizona and California too.:D

Hi...the second formal dinner was on night 8...and that was shrimp and lobster in the MDR. The last night they served crab legs.

Thank you sooooo much!!! You have answered when we go to specialty restaurants and more! Much obliged...Again...many happy returns in memory for you!

Respectfully; R.J.Morris :o (Special Deputy to our Sheriff Joe...at least the "Sheriff Joe," that we all remember from a bit back and Animal Protections).

Tom....my apologies, but I do not know what night the chef's dinner was on. Our weather was pretty mixed....beautiful afternoon in SFO, nice day in Juneau and Skagway (a bit overcast), drizzly and very foggy at Glacier Bay...very low visibility until we got right up on the glacier....Ketchikan was cool, foggy and rainy...then a glorious clear day in Victoria. Then quite a bit of fog coming back to SFO. We had very calm seas....been out a few times when things got rough, but this was not one of them. Thank you so much for your service....our son was just promoted to Cdr. Just a bit proud.:)

Tom....my apologies, but I do not know what night the chef's dinner was on. Our weather was pretty mixed....beautiful afternoon in SFO, nice day in Juneau and Skagway (a bit overcast), drizzly and very foggy at Glacier Bay...very low visibility until we got right up on the glacier....Ketchikan was cool, foggy and rainy...then a glorious clear day in Victoria. Then quite a bit of fog coming back to SFO. We had very calm seas....been out a few times when things got rough, but this was not one of them. Thank you so much for your service....our son was just promoted to Cdr. Just a bit proud.:)

Thanks for your reply. It was my pleasure to have been in the service and have no regrets.

Your weather sounds typical for an Alaska Cruise. I'm on the August 30th cruise.

Thanks again!!!😁

Tom😎