Allure and Euros

Going on Allure in October. Everyone keeps saying to wait to get Euros from an ATM in Barcelona at the airport. Let's talk real numbers. I checked with Bank today, and if I preorder 500 euros, it will be a total cost of $578.65.

If I wait to get to Europe and go to an ATM, what approximately would the cost be for 500 euro?

Or if I get 500 Euro from the ATM onboard Allure, what approximately would the cost be?

I don't need exact numbers, I am just trying to make an informed decision. I know it will vary daily. I just want to know a ballpark quote.

Edited by SailingDeanna

Those fees are high! I don't understand how that is. Each time I have traveled to Spain(twice) and Portugal(once) we got the best rate through the ATMS. Fees were $1-2 through their national banks and shockingly Citibank charged $4. We have used airport ATMS as well. Using a debit card incurred the same cost.

Going on Allure in October. Everyone keeps saying to wait to get Euros from an ATM in Barcelona at the airport. Let's talk real numbers. I checked with Bank today, and if I preorder 500 euros, it will be a total cost of $578.65.

If I wait to get to Europe and go to an ATM, what approximately would the cost be for 500 euro?

Or if I get 500 Euro from the ATM onboard Allure, what approximately would the cost be?

I don't need exact numbers, I am just trying to make an informed decision. I know it will vary daily. I just want to know a ballpark quote.

Today's rate was about $1.06. Your bank appears to be charging you about 9%, which is far less than a money exchange (airport, store, online would charge. Overseas ATMs may get you a few more euros at the same USD cost - but it depends on the exchange rate that particular bank is using. And then there is the consideration of any fees your bank may tack on.

There's a difference of opinion about bringing euros with you. We like to bring some with us to pay arrival driver/tour guide without hunting down an ATM. In the days that follow, we use bank ATMs. On our most recent trip, the European ATMs were a few pennies per dollar cheaper.

Note as well that you are trying to hit a moving target. Today's exchange rate could jump enough in a few days to wipe out any advantage you may have had at a ATM today.

As for an ATM on a ship, know that you'll also find them at money changer stores. That it's a machine doesn't mean that it's a particular bank's ATM or that it is not tacking additional fees on the purchase.

Bottom line, just stay away from the money changers, including the ship and hotels pre/post cruise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Those fees are high! I don't understand how that is. Each time I have traveled to Spain(twice) and Portugal(once) we got the best rate through the ATMS. Fees were $1-2 through their national banks and shockingly Citibank charged $4. We have used airport ATMS as well. Using a debit card incurred the same cost.

Hi,

The Canadian dollar is at an all time low, our exchange is awful. We have many Americans here is Canada now as your dollar buys a lot..

Those of you using a European ATM to get cash, are you using debit card or credit card (with daily cash withdrawal fees as high as 30%).

Can you use non-chip cards at an ATM to get cash (say Barcelona)?

Non-chip debit cards are not a problem at a network ATM. It is best to use an ATM connected to a bank and not exchange companies. You do need your pin code.

The local fees in Spain must be stated at the time of the transaction. Home bank transaction fees are not stated.