Live from the queen mary 2

deck chair

I'd take no notice of the author of the 'Cruise Critic Review',those comments just happen to be their own personal opinion and not really an official statement.

If you are looking for constructive feed back ,what better place to look for it here, where the majority of posters have hundreds if not thousands of days cruising on Cunard.

The Alternative evening dining in the Kings Court is very popular and can often get booked up very quickly. If you are interested in the 'Coriander' you will be advised to book it within your first day onboard . :)

We met a couple on our recent trip who were really interested in the food offerings - ie., they were very critical and had high standards, choosing to eat regularly in Michelin starred restaurants. They felt the food in Britannia left something to be desired but they reported that the food in the Kings Court speciality areas (Coriander, Lotus etc) was excellent. It is cooked to order and is of a very good standard considering the small cover charge.

Thank you for the reports. Curious whether the Twinings Breakfast Tea is in the red/black or golden packet and wondered if you could let us know? We will be on the ship in November. We were on QV in April and they had switched to the Golden packets which we didn't care for as much. Thank you.

Tea is very lightweight and doesn't take up too much room inside baggage.

Hello

Even though this is my 18th sailing on this fabulous ship, all but one trans-Atlantics, it is still a great thrill to drive into the pier area and see the beautiful, welcoming and majestic Queen Mary 2. It was a drop dead gorgeous day although a bit hot. After dropping of my two bags with the porters (Tipped $5) I parked my car in the parking lot ($480 for 30 days) took a few pictures of the outside of the ship and walked into the terminal. BTW, the exterior of the Ship looked great although in need a bit of a paint job.

I was an hour late for my noon check-in but even at 1PM, the crowds were rather sparse in the terminal given it was a sold out sailing from what I had been told. As a Diamond member of CWC, was an easy process and once aboard went directly to my cabin (5088 - sheltered balcony which are perfect for crossings) to unload my carry-on, check my table card (second sitting table 149.) I learned long ago to immediately check out the table and if unhappy make note of table numbers of more agreeable tables and seek out the help of the MD who is on station during embarkation to assist passengers who are seeking to make changes. While I was not totally happy with the location of my table (149), all the other options were not open at least for the first night. The MD promised to try to make a change when things settled down. He usually succeeds judging by previous crossings. As it turned out our table was fabulous with wonderful companions so I told the MD I was happy where we were.

I am always amazed by the number of passengers who have no idea that they can change their tables or sittings (If available) and assume they are stuck with where they are assigned. I always recommend that embarking passengers check out their table locations and if unhappy make note of the tables that are more pleasing and try to make a change. it is clear many passengers don't know that there are 4 levels in the dining room. People, learn the dining room!!! some levels and locations are better than others in my opinion.

It was a gorgeous sail out of New York. We sailed at 6PM. Beautiful balmy early evening...just magical..All the passengers, many waving American flags, I saw were just thrilled to death to be on this ship..It was very difficult to go inside to change for the night ahead. BTW, because this is a Summer sailing there are tons of kids of all ages on board. I for one love to have the kids on board since they add more life to the ship.

After cocktails in the Commodore Club to the wonderful sounds of a piano, it was off to dinner....BTW, it is always great to see fellow passengers from previous voyages. (we met two couples on the first afternoon alone!) its fun to catch up and compare plans. it is also great to run into crew members who you have gotten to know over the years. it is like old home week!

Dinner was great. The food was hot and plentiful and the service was outstanding. Our table companions were very enjoyable and engaging.

So after a long day I took to bed and slept well. at about 3Am I was awakened by a huge boom of thundering and lightening that could have awakened the dead. it was quite a sight! And to be honest, a bit scary. I do scare easily, however! (Which is why I was not allowed in the army or Marines.)

So this is our first full day at sea. I had breakfast in the dining room. I don't care for Kings Court in most cases for meals because it is such a zoo as we all know. Service was again great and the food wonderful. The weather is about 70 degrees, a bit windy, moderate seas and somewhat overcast. I plan to read out on the wonderful promenade deck and just watch the sea go by.(And people watch) it is a beautiful sea. Yes? And we are on a beautiful ship. yes?

I shall continue this as the voyage proceeds. If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer. In the meantime, plan your own voyage on Queen Mary 2. Do it now!

Deck Chair

We are experienced cruisers, fairly new to Cunard, will be on QM2, our 3rd Cunard cruise in September, going out of New York for a 14 day RT to Quebec City. We always check out our table in the MDR when we board, we like a table for 2 and requested on when we booked.

I am curious about your comments that there are 4 levels in the MDR. Since I have never been on board the QM2, would love to know which areas you consider better.

We are looking forward to our 14 days aboard. We love the Queen Victoria which we did several years ago twice once on a TA and again in the Mediterranean.

Would like to book the QE on a segment of a world cruise from New York to San Francisco in the future as well.

Cunard's traditional experience is very appealing to use.

Hope you have a great trip.

Question, please, Deck Chair (or anyone else who knows):

Is the World Club members' reception the same night as a themed ball or is it on a non-themed formal evening, please?

Not Always as it can be held on an informal evening.

You will have to await that invitation for the dress code,

Edited by Pennbank

Hello from Paris

There are four levels I the dining room. The main level. Here I prefer a table for 6 next to a window in a corner where you are not surrounded by tables. Table 118 and 165 come to mind but there are others. Just look around.

The next level up overlooks the Main level so no view to the ocean if that is important to you.

The third level really has no view at all. Not recommended by me

The uppermost level is gReat because you hAve tons of windows. I prefer table 222, a round table for 8 right next to a window but there are other similar tables as well on this level. I like this level also because it is much quieter than main level and less stuffy because there aren't as many people. P

I hope this helps. When you get on the ship take a look around and good luck. I hope you are one day at my table. Take care.

deck Chair.

Just off the QM2 this week. While I can't speak of the specialty restaurants food in the King's Court in the evening, I would never eat there as the atmosphere is awful. Even the best china and linen tablecloths couldn't change that. I do hope when the ship goes into drydock next year that the King's Court is on the list of things to completely renovate. My advice is to stay with the main dining room.

The Alternative evening dining in the Kings Court is very popular and can often get booked up very quickly. If you are interested in the 'Coriander' you will be advised to book it within your first day onboard . :)

We were very excited to try the Coriander on our recent voyage and made a reservation with the section manager (you often see them walking about the KC) on the first sea day to dine on the last sea day. He wrote the details in his notebook.

Midway, through the voyage I spoke with the Maitre d' in the Britannia restaurant (he called up to the KC) to confirm everything was in order. Thinking back now he was rather vague in his affirmation that things were OK - muttering something like ...don't worry all will be just wonderful. However, when the time came to dine, our reservation was lost and all tables were reserved.

I was quite annoyed (and yes, I realize it's not the end of the world) but when the young duty manager told me " what would you like me to do? Put a big smile on my face and tell you everything is OK?" I was so close to causing him actually bodily harm. Where do they get these people?

So, unfortunately we didn't get to try the Coriander, maybe next time.:o

OceanMonarch, that's where I feel that the QM2 is lacking...with a less than enthusiastic crew with a bit of bad attitude thrown in. They just didn't appear very happy. I found the happiest crew in the Golden Lion pub though ;)!

Hello once again from Paris

With respect, to the attitude of the crew I found just about all of them very good. They work terribly long hours with no days off to speak of. I can name Kelvin the MD in the dining room along with his assistant Elvis and mr babu. All superb. All my waiters were also great in the dining room. Of course it helps tremendously if passengers show respect to t.he waiters et al. I am dismayed by the number of passengers who don,t say please and thank you talk down to the crew d treat the crew like robots with no feelings. I wish I could throw some of these people off the ship! It would be a happier ship that is for sure. Uh

I also found the servers in sir Samuels equally good most especially. Erika and. Vera. The servers in the commodore club such as raj arm e awesome.

To those who complain about the attitude of t.mhe crew let me ask you: Do y oh bother t. I learn their names. Do. You bother to ask them how their. Day is. Doing. Do you bother to say please and thank you? Do you bother to ask them about their families. If you answer NO to most of these questions maybe it is you who has The attitude problem

Well said, Deck Chair.

Sometimes it needs saying, for a needed bit of objectivity and perspective, especially from someone, "live" on the ship, reporting first hand.

Sometimes - often - I think subjective posts say far more about the posters than they do about their topic.

From my experience, Cunard threads seem to attract a disproportionate number of such postings. Host Hattie: your title of "moderator" is not lost on me.

Thanks again, Deck Chair. It's been a treat to visit the QM2 through your eyes and words.

Looking forward to meeting you August 28.

Best,

Canuker

Edited by Canuker

Deck Chair,

Your description of parking in Brooklyn and boarding the ship was wonderful! So much like my own feelings (but better expressed)! The QM2 is an old friend, but it is always a thrill to catch sight of her and always a thrill to board.

What a way to cross the ocean, pass time so pleasantly, and be entertained in countless ways!

Thank you for sharing your travels with us. So much appreciated.

Jimmybean

• 4 weeks later...
Doghouse if you do not get an answer, The Twinings English Breakfast tea is the Normal Gold/Yellow/Black envelope. The Red/Black/Gold is the Strong English Breakfast and is not in Kings Court.

They do have Red and black packets but is is not English Breakfast but Assam, Lapsang Souchong or Cranberry or Raspberry

IMG_6107.jpg.39629402686a43160cd1aeaf9e8fef67.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg.3d6990c1356f885a4ba3d14d604a10f1.jpg