First time on Cunard questions and tips please

moses0

This will be our first experience on QM2. We are all getting excited as we have been anticpating this trip for months. We are sailing 4th September from New York. There are 3 couples. Questions for all of you regulars.:) Question are in no order. No worries about dress we are all geared up for that.

1) Where do you prefer to eat breakfast?

2) Any experience of travel earlier September weather?

3) I have heard the internet is expensive and slow so will probably not use it, but are we able to text? In other words will my iPhone have signal enough to text?

4) We have a 11:15 train in Southampton to catch should we use the self disembark option. (rather not)

5) Do we need coins for laundry?

6) Do the staterooms have hairdryers?

7) At what point do they do the safety drill? Before we cast off or after? (I would like to be on deck for sail away)

Hopefully that's not too many questions. I'm sure I have forgotten something. Comes with age :)Thank you for your help. Tips and advice most welcome.

Here are some answers:

Dining room for me.

Did this in 2011 and the ocean was warmer than the air. We had swells EB however due to the remnants of a storm.

3) I have heard the internet is expensive and slow so will probably not use it, but are we able to text? In other words will my iPhone have signal enough to text?

Internet is slowest just after breakfast and just before dinner. Apple devices have weak reception relative to non-Apple devices. Your phone bypasses the ship's wifi and goes straight to the satellite provider who will then bill your cell phone carrier. Best to compose and read emails off line.

4) We have a 11:15 train in Southampton to catch should we use the self disembark option. (rather not)

Unless you are deck 4, the last to disembark, you should be fine.

No. Self service laundry is free as are detergent packs.

Yes - in a drawer.

7) At what point do they do the safety drill? Before we cast off or after? (I would like to be on deck for sail away)

After check-in cut off and before sail away.

In addition to BlueRiband's advice, I'd also suggest that you check with your phone carrier about the cost for calls and texts made via the satellite mobile phone provider. I believe there is some information on the Cunard site if you go digging a little, but double check with your carrier and add the two results together.

I don't know about the position for a US citizen, but here in the UK even text messages get hit with a hefty charge which is outside call plans because it is levied by the satellite people themselves. To add to the insult, the phone providers then drop their own charge on top which isn't limited by recent EU directives because you are away from the European mainland, so there is no mandatory price cap and they can just make up a number.

Beware that depending on how your roaming is set up, the ship's satellite phone service can connect as soon as you are not far from land. So you might think you are making in-package included calls but are actually racking up the extra charges.

For emails, if you take your own device and compose and answer e-mails off line as BR suggests, then a two hour internet package should be more than enough to suffice for a week or two at sea. However, if you are addicted to Facebook or need to check the stock markets continuously you are going to feel the pinch. My advice - relax, kick back, keep in touch once or twice a day and enjoy the splendour of Cuanrd.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I can't add anything to the advice given above except to say that we prefer the dining room for breakfast as well (or room service if we have an early start).

Have a wonderful trip, there is lots of information, copies of Daily Programmes, photographs etc in the Sticky at the top of the board.

Here is the Section from the Cunard website about using your phone onboard.

Can I use my mobile phone on board ?

Edited by Host Hattie

they don't have enough washers and dryers. and they are not marked for how long the wash cycle is so there seems to be clothes left, or you can unload them and load yours.

sometimes a washer is broken and seemingly unfixed- maybe only can fix them in a port?

Thanks for the quick replies. Any one know if iPhone to iPhone imessaging incurs charges, It doesn't normally cost anything.

Yes there will be a charge its Not Phone to Phone, Its Phone to Satellite to Phone.

This will be our first experience on QM2. We are all getting excited as we have been anticpating this trip for months. We are sailing 4th September from New York. There are 3 couples. Questions for all of you regulars.:) Question are in no order. No worries about dress we are all geared up for that.

Hopefully that's not too many questions. I'm sure I have forgotten something. Comes with age :)Thank you for your help. Tips and advice most welcome.

We preferred to eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet due to the large selection of foods. It was crowded but there were plenty of tables to eat at. We didn't realize how large the area was until the second day. I have an iphone and was not able to text until in port. We were in the Princess Suites and I believe all staterooms have dryers. They are located in desk drawer and not in the bathroom. The safety drill was done prior to leaving port and took about 30 mins. We had to assemble in specific area. On each life jacket (in cabinets) there will be a letter which is your area to go to. The crew were wonderful in directing everyone to their area. Disembarking was very well organized. Luggage is laid out on floor and is easy to find your luggage. I was so happy we didn't have it coming off a conveyor belt. By the way we cruised July 30, 2015 from NY to Halifax-Boston-NY. Only problems we had were with the excursions, staff didn't know what they were doing since we had to go thru Immigration. On a whole, I really enjoyed our 5 day cruise and found the crew and everyone very friendly and helpful. I wish you and your guests a wonderful cruise.

Gail

iMessages use the iPhone's data plan, which is why they aren't charged the same as regular text messages. But on the ship the data connection is expensive as you have noted. Your best bet is probably to let the messages go as regular text messages. The cost will vary with your carrier, but for example on T-Mobile received texts are free and sending is 50 cents each.

BlueRiband did a great job replying to your questions. My strong breakfast preference is the main dining room, Britannia, if we can make out way out of bed in time! We are often night owls on the QMII. Otherwise I grab something small like yogurt and orange juice from the buffet and take it back to the stateroom or to the Winter Garden. IMHO the food quality and chaotic atmosphere of the Kings Court (AKA "King's Chaos") buffet are real downers and not up to the standards one looks for on the QMII, so I avoid KC as much as possible. We also very much enjoy coffee drinks and pastries in Sir Samuel's lounge.

BlueRiband did a great job replying to your questions. My strong breakfast preference is the main dining room, Britannia, if we can make out way out of bed in time! We are often night owls on the QMII. Otherwise I grab something small like yogurt and orange juice from the buffet and take it back to the stateroom or to the Winter Garden. IMHO the food quality and chaotic atmosphere of the Kings Court (AKA "King's Chaos") buffet are real downers and not up to the standards one looks for on the QMII, so I avoid KC as much as possible. We also very much enjoy coffee drinks and pastries in Sir Samuel's lounge.

Oh, and BTW, have a great time! We love the Mary and are planning another crossing for 2016!

As Chunky warned, social media addiction is a very costly habit. Some have reported coming home to $2400 cell phone bills. It can happen easily because some have apps running that automatically upload images and videos and all that data transfer is charged. I personally hard power off my phone and put it in the safe. For emails I use a Windows laptop where I can compose and read off line. (Very important to type "logoff.com" in the browser!)

In June I heard constant complaints from users of Apple devices. Some had to open their stateroom doors to get signals. Others sat on stairways. My table mate went to the Concierge Lounge. Yet my XP Vaio laptop has traveled with me eight years and there is never a problem even on my balcony. The wifi system was built for laptops and it's now inadequate for the weak reception of Apple phones and tablets.

oops $2400 I shall turn off my phone and tell all of my friends to do like wise.

I don't do social media stuff. I'll probably fire up my macbook (used to run Vaio but turned to the darkside never looked back:) ) and check email couple of times to see if anyone has an urgent need to get me. Thanks again.

We preferred Kings Court on Transatlantic Voyages. Britannia on Cruises.

We did our Transatlantic in Early September last year. It was roasting hot in Southampton and New York. We had a mixture of warm weather, fog and the occasional spell where we could feel the mighty Queen Mary 2 pitching in the swell ever so slightly. Nothing to cause any concern

You're on holiday. Turn it off! I had an immense feeling of satisfaction when I put my Lumia into Flight Mode as we cast off and turned it into camera for the Voyage. Use the Internet Suite in Connexions to check your emails if you really must.

Not sure about that. The Station is quite close to the port, but we went the other way to you, so I can't really answer.

Nope

Yes. They live in a drawer under the TV

Mid/Late afternoon before departure. It's Maritime Law these days.

Other tips:-

Make sure you see the Sun Set if the weather is clear. You haven't seen the Sun Set until you've seen it at Sea.

Take Afternoon Tea in The Queens Room

Have a Pub Lunch in The Golden Lion.

Pol Acker is an ideal Mouthwash replacement & does a good job of cleaning jewellery ;)

Use the stairs & walk as much as you can. You will put some weight on!

Enjoy yourselves, relax & Don't forget to tell us all about it here

In June I heard constant complaints from users of Apple devices. Some had to open their stateroom doors to get signals. Others sat on stairways. My table mate went to the Concierge Lounge. Yet my XP Vaio laptop has traveled with me eight years and there is never a problem even on my balcony. The wifi system was built for laptops and it's now inadequate for the weak reception of Apple phones and tablets.

This was your third post claiming that all Apple devices suffer from poor wi-fi reception. Forgive me, but I thought the Apple/Windows war was over years ago. I have been an exculsively Apple device user since 2008 and before that was a Micro$oft operating system based computer user since 1986. To say that ALL Apple devices have poor reception is like saying that all ships are made like the QM2. Yes, the smaller devices like the iPhone and iPad do not have as large as antennas as a laptop, but this is common to all makes of small devices not just Apple. On my very first crossing, I took both a Macbook laptop and an iPad. After that, I've just brought my iPad since I had no reason to bring the laptop. Reception has never been a problem in any of the staterooms we have stayed in. The root of the reception problems is the ship's wi-fi system/network.

However, it is a given that there are some staterooms and areas of the ship that suffer from poor wi-fi signal, but I've yet to see any evidence that there is any significant difference between similarly sized devices of different makers when it comes to reception of wi-fi signals.

Bob

This was your third post claiming that all Apple devices suffer from poor wi-fi reception. Forgive me, but I thought the Apple/Windows war was over years ago. I have been an exculsively Apple device user since 2008 and before that was a Micro$oft operating system based computer user since 1986. To say that ALL Apple devices have poor reception is like saying that all ships are made like the QM2. Yes, the smaller devices like the iPhone and iPad do not have as large as antennas as a laptop, but this is common to all makes of small devices not just Apple. On my very first crossing, I took both a Macbook laptop and an iPad. After that, I've just brought my iPad since I had no reason to bring the laptop. Reception has never been a problem in any of the staterooms we have stayed in. The root of the reception problems is the ship's wi-fi system/network.

However, it is a given that there are some staterooms and areas of the ship that suffer from poor wi-fi signal, but I've yet to see any evidence that there is any significant difference between similarly sized devices of different makers when it comes to reception of wi-fi signals.

Bob

I have no horse in this race, so I don't advocate any operating system or another. Each person will decide what best serves their needs. My comments were based solely on anecdotal complaints and observations so believe all of it, part of it, or none of it.

Try and book a box in the theatre it's very special

oh sounds interesting how do I do that. Would that be for any performance? How do I find out what is on at the theater? Don't suppose it would be available for CSN concerts

You can book a box on the nights when there are big productions are on, there is a small fee but lots of little extras on the other nights they are on a first come first serve basis

Thanks for that. How many people can sit in the box?

I have no horse in this race, so I don't advocate any operating system or another. Each person will decide what best serves their needs. My comments were based solely on anecdotal complaints and observations so believe all of it, part of it, or none of it.

Based on my personal experience I will choose the latter.