First Ever Cruise - QM2 Questions

ClanMcLean

Hi there,

We're looking at booking our first ever cruise, which will be transatlantic on the QM2 :)

I have a few questions and ponderings that I'm hoping people can help with.

I'll be traveling with my husband and 6 year old son. Space is an issue (3 in cabin) so we are looking at booking a Princess Grill Suite. There seems to be a good offer on at the moment for the cruise I'm looking at (24th July 2016 - Eastbound) which is $1500 off and a free unlimited drinks package. The drinks package sounds like an awesome deal! Any drink to the value of $12. Having never booked a cruise before, or really researched prices, I'm hoping the price I've been quoted is a good deal. It's NZ$14,197 for all 3 of us in a P1 Suite. I went with P1 as I don't know how I'll be effected with sickness, so midship being the better choice. So that price with free drinks seems like a good deal, yes?

Then I started looking at the Queen's Grill Suites. The obvious benefit of a larger suite, but also room service drinks (up to $12) are included in the free drinks promo. With the P1, we'd have to walk to the bar to collect drinks. What I also like is that they will go out of their way to prepare a meal on request (rather than of the menu). This will be very advantageous for my son, who has numerous, severe food allergies. The price we were quoted for a Q5 is NZ$18,697. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra? Thoughts?

We'd take our son to the Queen's Grill on a couple of the less formal evenings (he'll still be dressed appropriately - jacket and tie :D) but thought most evening he could eat in the room and then go down to the Playzone while we have dinner. Is that what most people do?

Does anyone have any experience with ordering food with allergies to consider?

Does it generally work out cheaper to book pre cruise hotel accommodation via Cunard, or organise it yourself?

When you visit the pool area, do you walk there wearing robes, or is there a place to get changed at the pool?

Is there a price list for spa treatments online? I couldn't see one.

Many thanks :)

I just returned from a short cruise on qm2, so transatlantic may be different, however I stayed in P1 midship ( less bumpy), however the Princess restaurant was not anxious to prepare off menu items., whereas I believe they are more accommodating in the Queens grill.

Changing rooms are available in the spa. For spa prices- google "canyon ranch on qm2". Then click on "menu of services" for all treatments. You do not have to eat all meals in the Grills. The kings Court is available all day for informal dining. Hope this helps.

Edited by nuekruizer

I'll try to help where I can:

I'll be traveling with my husband and 6 year old son. Space is an issue (3 in cabin) so we are looking at booking a Princess Grill Suite. There seems to be a good offer on at the moment for the cruise I'm looking at (24th July 2016 - Eastbound) which is $1500 off and a free unlimited drinks package. The drinks package sounds like an awesome deal! Any drink to the value of $12. Having never booked a cruise before, or really researched prices, I'm hoping the price I've been quoted is a good deal. It's NZ$14,197 for all 3 of us in a P1 Suite. I went with P1 as I don't know how I'll be effected with sickness, so midship being the better choice. So that price with free drinks seems like a good deal, yes?

Then I started looking at the Queen's Grill Suites. The obvious benefit of a larger suite, but also room service drinks (up to $12) are included in the free drinks promo. With the P1, we'd have to walk to the bar to collect drinks. What I also like is that they will go out of their way to prepare a meal on request (rather than of the menu). This will be very advantageous for my son, who has numerous, severe food allergies. The price we were quoted for a Q5 is NZ$18,697. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra? Thoughts?

Don't have children, but in the Grill suites the third person is on a sofa bed. A age six he's not going to know the difference. As for location, mid ship is usually the most stable especially if there are swells from a storm and the ship is pitching.

Grills restaurants are able to give more attention. I would mention your son's allergies on the first night to the head waiter of Maitre D' or even consider contacting Cunard before hand.

We'd take our son to the Queen's Grill on a couple of the less formal evenings (he'll still be dressed appropriately - jacket and tie :D) but thought most evening he could eat in the room and then go down to the Playzone while we have dinner. Is that what most people do?

Might be a good learning experience for him! You're raising a young gentleman. He'll endure many criticisms in life but table manners won't be one of them.

Does anyone have any experience with ordering food with allergies to consider?

Here's one link:

Special Diets

Does it generally work out cheaper to book pre cruise hotel accommodation via Cunard, or organise it yourself?

I'm a do-it-yourselfer.

When you visit the pool area, do you walk there wearing robes, or is there a place to get changed at the pool?

There are places to change on deck 6 and 12. I've seen people wearing robes.

Is there a price list for spa treatments online? I couldn't see one.

Spa Treatments

None of us can know what will happen to fares. Geopolitics, economies, and exchange rates can move the needle one week to the next. (No way would I have wanted to go to Greece during their financial crisis. How were tourist spots to get the provisions need to serve customers?)

Book at what you think is a fair price and then never look at the prices again. Waiting out for a "deal" is a gamble. Yes, you might see a great bargain but also the price can go up or the ship sells out. That, and last minute deals usually are category guarantee only meaning that Cunard picks your stateroom.

Also if you are from New Zealand the fares in you market tend to be higher because yours as not a "tipping" culture and so many passengers in this market remove the auto-gratuities. Therefore, the cruise line has to make up the difference to the crew by subsidizing the gratuity pool. (Not my intention to start an argument but that's the way it is.)

Thanks for the helpful replies :)

Do you think the pricing looks about right? Would hate to think I'm paying over the odds.

Compared to the "list" price on the UK site you have a good deal.

The nice advantage with a QG suite is the space for the use of the sofa bed.

None of us can know what will happen to fares. Geopolitics, economies, and exchange rates can move the needle one week to the next. (No way would I have wanted to go to Greece during their financial crisis. How were tourist spots to get the provisions need to serve customers?)

Book at what you think is a fair price and then never look at the prices again. Waiting out for a "deal" is a gamble. Yes, you might see a great bargain but also the price can go up or the ship sells out. That, and last minute deals usually are category guarantee only meaning that Cunard picks your stateroom.

Also if you are from New Zealand the fares in you market tend to be higher because yours as not a "tipping" culture and so many passengers in this market remove the auto-gratuities. Therefore, the cruise line has to make up the difference to the crew by subsidizing the gratuity pool. (Not my intention to start an argument but that's the way it is.)

It's not my intention to "start an argument" either, or side track the OPs questions, but you've mentioned something I've never heard before, i.e. that NZ, and I guess Australia as we have similar cultures as far as not tipping everyone all the time goes, are charged more in fares which Cunard then use to subsidize tipping. Interesting. Many of us pay top fares and also leave auto-gratuities in place, so there's some extra money floating around - wonder where that ends up?

I don't want to "start an argument" either, or sidetrack the OPs questions, but you've stated something I've never heard before, i.e. that Cunard charge NZers (and Australians I guess as we both live in countries where substantial tips are not commonly expected or given) higher fares than people in other countries to subsidise the crew if/when auto-gratuities are removed. Many of us leave auto-tips in place and others prefer to tip personally at the same level as Cunard 'charge'. We've always left auto-gratuities in place as it never occurred to me that cruise companies charged fares based on cultural differences re tipping. Interesting! I guess that means there's a substantial amount if extra cash floating around - wonder in whose pocket it ends up.

Compared to the "list" price on the UK site you have a good deal.

The nice advantage with a QG suite is the space for the use of the sofa bed.

Thanks, that's good to know. It's a LOT of money and it's difficult if you're not familiar with pricing. I can't view other Cunard sites, as it always redirects me to the .au becasue of my IP.

Thanks, it's good to know that they can cater to allergies in all restaurants :)

My impression is that it'll be a lot easier in the Grills though and less chance of cross contamination (he'd never touch buffet food) with it being a smaller kitchen, catering to fewer numbers.

It's the space issue that's winning it for Queens though :D

I have an observation to note and please don't think I am implying anything as I am not trying to start anything either. The OP asked for information concerning a "cruise". The cruise is a Transatlantic Crossing. Just a few years ago, the crusty old regulars (maybe me too:eek:) would have gone ballistic over a TA being called a "cruise". Now, not so much as a sneeze.:D But then, at 8 days or so, it really is a "cruise".:D Like I said, just an observation.

I have an observation to note and please don't think I am implying anything as I am not trying to start anything either. The OP asked for information concerning a "cruise". The cruise is a Transatlantic Crossing. Just a few years ago, the crusty old regulars (maybe me too:eek:) would have gone ballistic over a TA being called a "cruise". Now, not so much as a sneeze.:D But then, at 8 days or so, it really is a "cruise".:D Like I said, just an observation.

My sincere apologies. Hence forth, all communications with regards to our overseas jaunt, will refer to the transatlantic crossing, rather than cruise. :p

In a bid to win some old skool brownie points, can I mention we're actually moving back to Scotland, so we'll be immigrants, arriving on the QM2 :D

My sincere apologies. Hence forth, all communications with regards to our overseas jaunt, will refer to the transatlantic crossing, rather than cruise. :p

In a bid to win some old skool brownie points, can I mention we're actually moving back to Scotland, so we'll be immigrants, arriving on the QM2 :D

That is the way to do it too! You will love it.:D

My agent's just emailed to say that Cunard are offering an extra $200 on board credit (bringing it up to $300) if we book this weekend as there's a travel expo on.

Quite frankly, I think it would be rude not to book :D

We've booked the eastbound earlier the same month and have two cabins on deck four for the five of us. I'm not anticipating we'll spend a heap of time in our cabin - we haven't on previous cruises.

We paid around NZ$12,000 for our two cabins and got on board credit but no drinks package.

EDIT TO ADD... our cabins are balcony - the metal ones, I think. And we took our then six year old on a cruise last December and he had such a ball that we only returned to our cabins to sleep. On that cruise, like this one, we had two cabins side by side though they were interior not balcony. It was perfectly adequate for us with myself, hubby and Mr6 in one room, and Mr13 and Mr8 in the other.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

I don't want to "start an argument" either, or sidetrack the OPs questions, but you've stated something I've never heard before, i.e. that Cunard charge NZers (and Australians I guess as we both live in countries where substantial tips are not commonly expected or given) higher fares than people in other countries to subsidise the crew if/when auto-gratuities are removed. Many of us leave auto-tips in place and others prefer to tip personally at the same level as Cunard 'charge'. We've always left auto-gratuities in place as it never occurred to me that cruise companies charged fares based on cultural differences re tipping. Interesting! I guess that means there's a substantial amount if extra cash floating around - wonder in whose pocket it ends up.

A long time industry insider, Brucemuzz, has posted on this topic. All gratuities, from passengers or the subsidized pool, go to the crew:

Originally Posted by BruceMuzz:

At the end of every cruise on my ship, I receive a report on gratuity adjustments.

The report tells me:

How many pax adjusted their tips up, and the total additional tips received.

How many pax adjusted their tips down, and the total amount lost.

How many pax removed their tips entirely, and the total amount lost.

The stated reasons for each adjustment up or down.

A breakdown - by nationality- of adjusted tips.

A breakdown of percentage of each nationality of adjusted tips.

Those from Australia and New Zealand are the most telling, and the most predictable.

The number of Aussies and New Zealanders who remove ALL the tips is always over 90% of the total pax from those countries.

Do ALL Aussies and New Zealanders ALWAYS refuse to tip? Of course not.

But MOST of them, MOST of the time, refuse to tip the staff.

The reason stated is ALWAYS the same; "We don't tip in our country"...

Originally Posted by BruceMuzz:

....With the numbers so high, the cruise lines have no choice but to subsidize the tipping pool. If they don't do it, the crew will strike, or quit. This amounts to hundreds of thousands of dollars every cruise.

These subsidies remove much of the profitability of cruising in these areas. I know of at least 2 cruise lines that are considering pulling out of Australia due to these challenges.

Oh wow! That's rather shocking! I'm embarrassed for my fellow countrymen!

We always always ALWAYS work on the principle that 'when in Rome...' We may not tip in our own country but we conform to local customs when visiting other countries and thus we tip when in America and both times we have cruised we have prepaid our gratuities and plan to do so for the two we have planned next year.

My agent's just emailed to say that Cunard are offering an extra $200 on board credit (bringing it up to $300) if we book this weekend as there's a travel expo on.

Quite frankly, I think it would be rude not to book :D

Sounds as if it was meant to be, it seems like an excellent start to cruising.

Some of the larger cruise based TA in the UK now have in their brochures in large print "you can have the gratuities removed from your account" it seems to encourage people that the price they are advertising at does not have any extras. We always pay the gratuities but seem to be in the minority from the people we have spoken to. On a celebrity med cruise we didn't meet 1 other person who were paying theirs. Perhaps that's why more and more are including these in the price.

Anyway sounds like you should book!

Thanks, it's good to know that they can cater to allergies in all restaurants :)

My impression is that it'll be a lot easier in the Grills though and less chance of cross contamination (he'd never touch buffet food) with it being a smaller kitchen, catering to fewer numbers.

It's the space issue that's winning it for Queens though :D

There are many reasons for choosing PG and QG but I overheard in MDR the Head Waiter dealing with a passenger with a nut allergy/dietary requirements. He couldn't have been more helpful. There are forms to fill in etc and they show you menus in advance. I think they take it pretty seriously.

We've booked the eastbound earlier the same month and have two cabins on deck four for the five of us. I'm not anticipating we'll spend a heap of time in our cabin - we haven't on previous cruises.

We paid around NZ$12,000 for our two cabins and got on board credit but no drinks package.

EDIT TO ADD... our cabins are balcony - the metal ones, I think. And we took our then six year old on a cruise last December and he had such a ball that we only returned to our cabins to sleep. On that cruise, like this one, we had two cabins side by side though they were interior not balcony. It was perfectly adequate for us with myself, hubby and Mr6 in one room, and Mr13 and Mr8 in the other.

Thanks :) We have 10043 (Q5 starboard) on hold, but he's just checking the price of two club balconies for me.